The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

ADE9X and images

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

ADE9X and images

Post by maddog65 »

Has anyone had any luck in adding an image like from google earth to use in ADE9X.
I have been trying to adjust the MAIW afcad for KNGU (Chambers Field) so I can place the hangers correctly and redo the parking as it has changed since MAIW released the package it came with. Anyways I have adjusted the scale so many times I still cant get the runway to line up with what is in the AFCAD. I have followed the tutorial from the ADE website but to no avail. Open to any suggestions and or tricks others may have come across.

Thanks
Les
Les
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Re: ADE9X and images

Post by CelticWarrior »

I find that to fine tune the location of the image it's often best not to use the radio buttons, but to type in the numbers. I don't use the buttons to move the image up/down/left/right, after getting the image to the right scale I then drag the image to place it accurately.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

that seems to be my problem is getting the image to the right scale. I'll go back thru the tutorial tonight and try again. I seem to get the runwat to the right width but the length never lines up correctly, hence my problem.

Les
Les
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FSX

Post by CelticWarrior »

I wouldn't bother with getting it to the right width, the FS runways (particularly for military, and even more for US) are very rarely the same width as real life because of the side bars. AIP documentation only reports the usable width of the runway and this is what the default FS runways are set to.

I'd scale the image to fit the runway length (make sure it's the correct length as per documentation) and then create the side bars using the apron tool.
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

thanks
will give it a try tonight.

Les
Les
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

maddog,
Be sure to post some pics of the WIP. I have ADE9x, but have be "afraid" to use yet on some Army airfields I would like to redesign. Good Luck. Most of my USN/MCAS are set for now (except NGU), with the larger ones having scenery.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
FlyEF
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by FlyEF »

I make a background image in sbuilderX, change it to jpg (or bmp). SbuilderX writes a textfile with coordinates. In ADEX i add the image with the coordinates and have the exact position and scaling.

Horst
maddog65
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by maddog65 »

Slowly working on adjusting taxiways and aprons, even had to adjust the length of the runway was off by about 10 feet. Next question I know you can add libary objects into ADE9x, but I have no idea what each .bgl looks like. Does anyone know what program I can use to view each object, make a thumbnail of it so I know what I am looking at when I select it. I would like to be able to use all of the MAIW library objects like the ABO, etc...

Les
Les
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by ricktk »

ADE9X has a Library Object Manager under the Tools Bar, that can capture thumbnails from your computer screen, or if you already have the library thumbnails in an EZ scenery or IS scenery file, you can use the find thumbnail button. I like the manager in that you can organize your thumbnails by category, not just by library file.
Rick

"Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check."