The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

FSDS Tutorial :)

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

FSDS Tutorial :)

Post by BadPvtDan »

So...I have created some parts and I have done well manipulating them. Here are some questions I have:

How do I get the parts lined up just exactly right together? I keep finding that I am a smidge off in an area that is noticeable. Can I just "snap" them together?

How can I create a triangle with depth? I create a polygon with 3 sides and I get this flat thing....
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Try Part\Snap to Scale to get proper alignment. Failing that, you will need to zoom right in on the points you require to line up properly in point mode.

A polygon is flat, that is correct, if you need a three sided polygon with depth, use 'create cone' and use three sides.
Which way is up?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Woohoo thanks!
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Boolean Operation:

I have done this before but cannot make it happen now :<

I make a part and name it tool.

I select the main part...then select the tool....go to Part...and Boollean Operation can't be selected!

What am I doing wrong?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Progress............... :lol:

And no I don't know the answer to your question. I haven't even begun to use that feature. Honestly, I don't have the slightest clue what it does for you. The way I figure I'm probably teaching myself a lot of things, but I'm learning them the hard way most likely. It'll be nice to really start to understand FSDS here in another month or so.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

You have to have the part as the current part and have both the part and tool selected at the same time.
Which way is up?
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by RipPipPip »

Some modelers find FSDS3 Boolean Tool extremly unusable (it generates too much polygons in an automatic way) -> I'm cutting off all the holes manually, I mean I add points by hand and then do polygons using them ...
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

I agree that doing it manually makes a cleaner model with fewer polygons, but selecting the right points to make the new polygons can take a considerable time when you first start.
Which way is up?
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

And I agree that :)
Yes, it is handy to use a boolean tool as a first stage and then manualy clean things (delete points and create new polygons on that which left).
My personal experience is that when I used the tool for cutting holes in a fuselage I got it completely messed, with LOTs of unwanted polygons ...
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Yes, my preferred method is to use the boolean tool first, that gives me the parts I need correctly sized, shaped and aligned. Then I delete particular points which delete the excess polygons, select remaining points to correctly fill the gaps with a much lower number of polygons. Having said that, sometimes the number of excess polygons makes it very difficult to clean up and it can be a long job. For me the shape and alignment are important and this method does ensure accuracy.
Which way is up?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

I will have to get it squared away. I have made some basic buildings and even the texturing isn't...terrible :)
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Argh! I figured out what I was doing wrong but now everytime I do a boolean my program hangs and crashes!

This is just way too difficult!
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Maybe something with a geometry ... let's try "Snap to scale"?
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Guys Im having the same kind of boolean problems, Trying to cut out the cockpit on my Jaguar T4 fuselage. I can do it but when it comes to compliling it tells me there are co-located points in poly.. Ive tried to locate them by the co-ordinates it gave me but I cant. I noticed that Rip didnt actually have a hole on the A-10 but rather the pilot just sat out of the fuselage, is this the way to go?

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

To hell with Mr Boolean. I may have more polygons but the brute force method works as well :)

My next question.

How do I make the dark colored windows reminiscent of air control towers?
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

You need some dark coloured glass material. Have a look at your materials list and perhaps add one like this:-

56 56 56 128
64 64 64 255
0 0 0 255
0 0 0 255
Which way is up?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Brilliant, Graham.

Next question (you guys will be happy with the work):

How would I make a pentagram? A box with 6 sides? I made a box and pulled the points out on top to make the control tower windows...but I would like to do this with 6 sides.
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

A box is a four sided TUBE with only one section and both ends solid:D

Does that help? :roll:

Not sure about the pentagram though, that's a five pointed star, you would need a ten sided for that.......LOL
Which way is up?
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

BadPvtDan wrote:Brilliant, Graham.

Next question (you guys will be happy with the work):

How would I make a pentagram? A box with 6 sides? I made a box and pulled the points out on top to make the control tower windows...but I would like to do this with 6 sides.
Box with 6 sides - use a tube with 6 sides
Pentagram - One tube with 10 faces. Goto point mode and select every other point use scale mode to shrink them to the inside.