The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Afcad/ADE question.

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Afcad/ADE question.

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Excuse lack of knowledge of ADE.

Is it possible to take an existing afcad file and open it with ADE, thus allowing enhancement of the airport?

Obviously the idea is to then remove the AF2 file after any work.

Thanks
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Afcad/ADE question.

Post by f4nutter »

hi Stew, yes you can open AF2,AFX afcads and bling them up :lol:
but before you go too far, just compile it straight back into FS9 and see if ADE picks up any errors.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Thanks Ray................being that bit "older", I find working with afcad for setting runways, parking etc, a bit easier, but just wondered if I could make use of ADE to make a few improvements. :lol:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
regan123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by regan123 »

One thing to watch is the Comms frequencies. They can often cause a compile failure. It's well worth just opening each one and then hitting OK. Something to do with a rogue character dropping in during the conversion.
clarke123
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by clarke123 »

Ignore this Reagan's ninja post fixed my problem as I was typing :D
veni, vidi, spurius brutus deitrum covi - I came, I saw, I tore the thick bastards limb from limb
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Thanks guys, will bear the "comms" issue in mind.
Stew

Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Also, after opening the AF2 bgl file with ADE9, don't forget to load the stock data so you have access to all the cool ADE9 features like moving stock scenery objects or taxiway signs to a better place.
Kurosaki
Captain
Captain

Post by Kurosaki »

Speaking of the Comms issue...

I've since been working on an airport based off of an original scenery, used it for location reference, but decided to remove the airport after mine was placed. I renamed everything and still get the ground/tower of the original scenery...any way to create a new set of Comms (ground/scenery) for the new airport?
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

Sounds like you have another active file somewhere that FS is reading for the comms. Changing the comms in ADE is just the same as for AFCAD.
Dan
scruffyduck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scruffyduck »

The actual problem with Comms is invalid characters in names. The problem can also exist in the airport details such as city and name. AFCAD and AFX use their own compilers and can generate characters that are invalid when passed to the Microsoft Bgl Compiler. We have code in ADE to deal with this but we have not yet been able to catch all these. Opening and saving the airport properties and comms does fix the issue though.
1st Shirt

Post by 1st Shirt »

Hello All,

I don't know if this is related to the above discussion but here's whats happening: (using ADE9 v1.47)

I open an AF2 file by Open Airport from BGL, and Load Stock Data, I only edited the parking radii, open and closed the comms menu and Compile BGL. I did save prior to compile.

I received this :
ScruffyDuck Scenery Design Engine Compiling
Using UNKNOWN BglComp....

INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1003: Failed to create MSXML object! (0x80040154)

Parsing document: D:\Flying\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\AFCAD\scenery\AF2_CIV_KDRO_Durango_Loney.xml

ERROR C2470: Unrecoverable error parsing XML!
ERROR C2006: Parse failed (0x80004005)
ERROR C2003: Failed to process file: D:\Flying\Flight Simulator 9\Addon Scenery\AFCAD\scenery\AF2_CIV_KDRO_Durango_Loney.xml

Not sure what it's trying to tell me, but obviously something's not happy. Appreciate if someone knows a fix, Thanks
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well really this should be posed over at Scruffyduck, but before you go there I would check that you have the latest version and that you have run the ADE-Check.exe to confirm that everything is installed OK for your FS system..

Also let them know whether you have compiled a bgl before using it. The error literally means that it couldn't read AF2_CIV_KDRO_Durango_Loney.xml correctly. Why could be a number of things.
Steve
1st Shirt

Post by 1st Shirt »

Steve, thanks; I did leave a post over at scruffyduck and no reply yet, so I thought I'd try here in the meantime. The ADE-Checker shows all well and I have had no problem in the past compiling with ADE9 (although this is the first try with v1.47) So I'm stumped.
FlyEF
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by FlyEF »

Jon Masterson (alias scruffyduck) says:
"That generally occurs when you do not have MSXML 4 installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en"

Please take a look to http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95 and take a search to "INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR C1003: Failed to create MSXML object!"

Regards

Horst
1st Shirt

Post by 1st Shirt »

Horst Thanks, I already had MSXML 4.0 SP2 installed, but on the off chance it was corrupted I re-installed and I still get the same error. But I'll check the link you gave for fsdeveloper for any other insights. thanks again
1st Shirt

Post by 1st Shirt »

Horst and Steve, thanks for the help; after wandering the forums at fsdeveloper, I tried uninstalling all the MSXML files and reinstalling and now all is well :D I guess something got corrupted in the innards of XP. Thanks again
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Glad the old 'uninstall/reinstall ploy' worked for you.
Steve
scruffyduck
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by scruffyduck »

Just seen this. This error can be a bit awkward sometimes. I have had other reports where the Environment Checker says all is well. I have not, in the past, suggested the uninstall/reinstall option for MSXML 4 so thanks for that! :D