The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Pictures

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Pictures

Post by BadPvtDan »

I am looking for good pics of any air base that you may have. Always wanted custom scenery for your favorite base? We need to have pictures.

It is amazing the lack of pics that are available on the net. Whichever air base gets the most pics posted will be the first to have a custom scenery done.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Pictures

Post by MIKE JG »

BadPvtDan wrote:Whichever air base gets the most pics posted will be the first to have a custom scenery done.
Ha ha, also very true. Some of the best places to look are in airshow photos from the various bases. Usually you can get some tidbits from the scenery in the background.

Danny that's how I got a hold of a piture of the tower at Pope, it's in the background of an airshow picture showing the Thunderbirds lining up for takeoff at Pope. :wink:

Unfortuately for us, I don't think they host an airshow at Holloman. :roll:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

I have been all over it, Mike. There were a few air shows there but not many good shots of the buildings. Except for a couple of the hangars, Holloman will definitely be at "designers discretion".
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
wktjr

Post by wktjr »

I'll see what I can find concerning KNHZ. With the P-3 well along in the design phase it would be a nice compliment. It's a small base with only a few basic hangars and buildings on the flightline.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Thanks, Bill. Wow, I thought I would be inundated and have work for the rest of the year!

/crawls back into his scenery hole
wktjr

Post by wktjr »

BadPvtDan wrote:Thanks, Bill. Wow, I thought I would be inundated and have work for the rest of the year!

/crawls back into his scenery hole
Well, it doesn't surprise me. The folks on this site seem to be concentrating more on the aircraft with everything else as secondary. That's fine and probably what's needed. Once the virtual skies are populated with enough tactical aircraft, then people will move on to the scenery portion. As for myself, I find scenery design slightly less intimidating than aircraft design or painting. I've dabbled in it and created a very amateurish monstrosity that's suppose to be KPWM and recently started thinking about KNHZ.

But anyway, between being stationed there for 10 years, Google Earth, my digital camera, having plenty of contacts still there and living 10 minutes from the main gate, I think I can come up with some source material for you.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

No problems. All that keeps me from creating scenery is a lack of pictures. A reasonable facsimile of any building can be made with some good pics!
magic1085
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by magic1085 »

OK...I know that there is a Whiteman AFB pack in the works...but I hope this sort of thing is what you were looking for...let me know if you need more info than I provided.

All images were acquired from Google Earth..search for Knob Noster Missouri and scroll directly south to find the base.

Matt

South Ramp Featuring Tenant Units

Mid Ramp with Main Buildings NOTE Ramp area not used in front of buildings

North Ramp Featuring Hot Pads, Maint. Docks and Support Buildings

Runway 01 featuring Ammo Dump, Many interesting aircraft came and went from this area never parking on the main ramp...notables include Aeroflot and other russian flagged aircraft...

Runway 19 Including Hot Ramps and Fire Training Center

South Section of the main base, Including Housing and other services

North Services Section and Gate

Main Gate and Central Services

GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Google is fine for getting the layout of where the buildings go, but what all scenery designers need is ground level shots of individual buildings from all angles. You can then make a model of the building, using Google you can only make the roof.
Which way is up?
magic1085
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by magic1085 »

Here is a shot of exactly what the hangars look like...this is the paint hangar so there is no aircraft crest on it to denote which aircraft it is home to.

to the left side of the doors on the upper half is the actual aircraft crest...they are all in the following format:

There are no numbers on any of the buildings on the base...one of two bases like that in the country...

Hope it helps!

Matt
magic1085
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by magic1085 »

GrahamS wrote:Google is fine for getting the layout of where the buildings go, but what all scenery designers need is ground level shots of individual buildings from all angles. You can then make a model of the building, using Google you can only make the roof.
Understood, unfortunately cameras weren't allowed any where near the flight line back in the mid to late 90's when I was there... :(

So even I have no pictures of them...
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Much better.. :D now a side and back and we can make it, only kidding, with that one pic plus the overhead you can make a reasonable attempt, especially as the aircraft in front give a good idea of size. But, seriously, if you have pics of side and back, even at an angle then a better model would result.

Don't worry, we all have the same problem of getting good pictures to work from, often for very similar reasons.
Which way is up?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Thanks guys. I hope to get two more buildings completed for Holloman this weekend. Of course, most of it is 'artistic license'.
magic1085
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by magic1085 »

ok, after some further digging I have had some limited success here are my results...

mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Thanks magic1085,

Your photos and Google Earth screenshots with added details will be extremely helpful as I complete my own scenery version for Whiteman AFB. :) :)

Mike
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Well done magic1085, that hangar is a definite possibility now, many thanks.
Which way is up?
magic1085
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by magic1085 »

mikewmac wrote:Thanks magic1085,

Your photos and Google Earth screenshots with added details will be extremely helpful as I complete my own scenery version for Whiteman AFB. :) :)

Mike
Glad I could help! Can I get a copy when you are finished? :)

I did find a few more interesting pics...nothing spectacular but better than nothing...

Matt

mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

magic1085 wrote:
mikewmac wrote:Thanks magic1085,

Mike
Glad I could help! Can I get a copy when you are finished? :)

Matt
Matt,

Certainly you can. When I am done maybe could beta test it for me. If you're interested, PM me your email address and I will be in touch. :)

BTW...Your last 3 photos don't show for me. :(

Mike
magic1085
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by magic1085 »

mikewmac wrote:
Matt,

Certainly you can. When I am done maybe could beta test it for me. If you're interested, PM me your email address and I will be in touch. :)

Mike
I guess that is what I get for not using my own webserver to host them...LOL

I will see if I can find them and repost.

Matt
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

magic1085 wrote:
mikewmac wrote:
Matt,

Mike
I guess that is what I get for not using my own webserver to host them...LOL

I will see if I can find them and repost.

Matt
Thanks Matt. :)

Mike