Search found 595 matches

by TimC340
19 Mar 2021, 16:49
Forum: General Projects
Topic: RAF Coningsby for MSFS2020
Replies: 39
Views: 2588

Re: RAF Coningsby for MSFS2020

John, this thread might get you to the right place. I have no knowledge of the process, either in FS9/FSX/P3D or MSFS, but I know that there are a lot of people over at FSDev who are playing with this stuff. https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/heres-how-to-write-you-own-modelbehavior-code.4510...
by TimC340
19 Mar 2021, 13:19
Forum: JYAI
Topic: Agusta Westland Wildcat
Replies: 56
Views: 3648

Re: Agusta Westland Wildcat

If ever a helicopter reinforced the principle that 'they only fly because the earth rejects them', the Wildcat is it. Aesthetically, it has all the appeal of a pavement pizza. However, this is a great rendition, John, and it's good to see it included in the modern military lineup. Shame the animatio...
by TimC340
18 Mar 2021, 23:02

Manschy, I think the difference is the lighting/shading in MSFS which is far superior to the FS9/FSX/P3D engine. As mentioned above, I'm not a fan of what HDR does to colour rendition, but there's no doubt that the raytracing (or simulation thereof) works extremely well. I've seen several examples o...
by TimC340
17 Mar 2021, 13:43

Your scenery looks great in MSFS, Ian. However, does anyone else get irritated by the tendency of HDR graphics to wash-out colours and give a filtered look to everything? It's something I first noticed with P3Dv4, but at least in P3D it can be turned off (and, IMO, is much better for it), but MSFS d...
by TimC340
15 Mar 2021, 13:07
Forum: AI Aircraft Design
Topic: Goodbye to LODs?
Replies: 19
Views: 787

Re: Goodbye to LODs?

I've seen this issue referred to over at FSDev. I don't do aircraft, so I don't take huge note of the issue, but there seems to be a consensus that the later sims running on modern hardware don't need LODs. I assume that's because graphics handling is that much better using DX12 and modern GPUs - an...
by TimC340
14 Mar 2021, 14:08

Oh - excellent! We just need the AI to go with it, but I think we may be waiting quite a while.
by TimC340
14 Mar 2021, 14:06
Forum: Screenshots
Topic: Aldergrove
Replies: 12
Views: 846

Re: Aldergrove

You've obviously done a lot if work on this - it's a shame it's for FS9 (from my PoV obviously!). Constructing approaches is great fun, IME, though having to reload FS after each change to see how it's working is a pain. I used to keep a 'vanilla' installation of FSX to make it as quick as possible,...
by TimC340
14 Mar 2021, 13:54
Forum: Scenery Design
Topic: Issue with John Stinstrom libraries
Replies: 72
Views: 1862

Re: Issue with John Stinstrom libraries

I think we're now into 'computer basics 101'. The manual is clear. It can be translated if necessary (using another website). You're using an obsolete program which is no longer supported by its publisher, but there is a support forum at https://www.simforums.com/forums/scenery-and-mission-making-to...
by TimC340
13 Mar 2021, 18:04
Topic: Lossiemouth and Brize Norton Projects
Replies: 45
Views: 4298

Re: Lossiemouth and Brize Norton Projects

Ah, ok - understood.
by TimC340
13 Mar 2021, 16:52

I think I have Instant Scenery 3 somewhere on an archive HDD. I'll have a look and see if I can make some sense of it - I can't remember ever using it! Edit: Indeed I do have IS3, but as I feared it does not work with FSX:SE. There was a fix produced, but that disappeared with the developer and the ...
by TimC340
13 Mar 2021, 16:50

If you're using a shortened 17-35 as a separate AFCAD for mil traffic only, using ADE you should be able to create complete IFR approach routings from well away from the airfield that achieve the exact flightpath you want to achieve (I'm assuming approach construction in FS9 works the same as in FSX...
by TimC340
13 Mar 2021, 16:38
Topic: Lossiemouth and Brize Norton Projects
Replies: 45
Views: 4298

Re: Lossiemouth and Brize Norton Projects

I'm not sure what issue you're trying to correct - I'm not able to access my P3D installation right now - but the radio callsign of all the active frequencies at RAF Brize Norton is 'Brize' (Radar, Approach, Zone, Director, Talkdown, Ops, Tower and Ground), and the ATIS frequency is 'Brize Info'.
by TimC340
13 Mar 2021, 10:37

In my day, the NW area was Learjet/Bombardier, so I've no idea what goes on there now. The area to the SE of the intersection was still the WW2 spectacle dispersals, and would be where we (C130) and the VC10s would park. The helos (Gazelle, Scout, Lynx, Wessex and Puma) would all be over on the west...
by TimC340
13 Mar 2021, 10:18

Objects in the MAIW global libraries are .bgl objects. they cannot be used in ez Are you using Abacus EZ Scenery or Flight 1 Instant Scenery 3? You have referred to both. As John says, EZ Scenery is NOT compatible with FSX. Instant Scenery 3 is not directly compatible with FSX:SE (but there is a fi...
by TimC340
12 Mar 2021, 13:35
Topic: More Nam.
Replies: 6
Views: 310

Re: More Nam.

I think YoYo's referring to the forward frame of the sliding canopy, which appears to be missing. Other than that, what a great model!
by TimC340
12 Mar 2021, 11:27

It's a long time since I was a regular military operator into EGAA, but I doubt things have changed hugely since I left the RAF. The helos generally left the airfield south of the main runway and, if they needed to go north, would cross the extended centreline a few miles out - unless it was an emer...
by TimC340
11 Mar 2021, 22:08

You will probably find that your computer is set to use a comma ( , ) as the decimal denominator. That won't work for MCX, so you would have to set it to use a period ( . ) instead. However, if you download the MAIW Global Library, as John linked to in his reply above, it includes all of the objects...
by TimC340
10 Mar 2021, 15:24

I'm sorry, Alex, but that post makes very little sense. I'm assuming that English may not be your first language, so you may be better writing your post in your own language and translating it via Google Translate, or something similar, and then put the translation here.
by TimC340
10 Mar 2021, 15:20
Forum: General Military AI Discussion
Topic: Something big is coming
Views: 714

Re: Something big is coming

I imagine it took a lot of work to set up, and it probably feels pretty 'big' to those who were involved, but I suspect its impact will be limited. For example, the 10% discount on Orbx products requires you to buy $300 of product before you benefit from the deal, yet most Orbx products have been di...
by TimC340
10 Mar 2021, 02:02
Forum: General Military AI Discussion
Topic: Something big is coming
Views: 714

Re: Something big is coming

OK. Well, I won't be surprised to learn that yet another LM update has little impact on the Academic users.