The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

placing objects created in fsds

This contains a series of 7 tutorial videos that cover the basic principals of working with FSDS.
OxleyPilot
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

placing objects created in fsds

Post by OxleyPilot »

can someone please help me, i spent hours creating a very nice building in fsds and when I load FS and use the EZ Scenery it tells me that the object cannot be placed there, it is not in the correct place, when looking inside FSDS I found the Co-ordinates ... I really do not want to place objects like that nor do I want to use RWy12 ... I would like to use ez scenery but it reads teh Co-Ords from the file ... how can I remove that option and make the co-ords in FSDS nothing so it can be placed anywhere ... if tehre is any other software that makes placing easy please let me know
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: placing objects created in fsds

Post by MIKE JG »

Welcome to the forums. I moved your post into this sub forum as this is the appropriate place for it.

What you want to do with your scenery object is to create it as a model (,mdl) file instead of a scenery (.bgl) file. By creating it as a model instead of a scenery object, you can then use EZ Scenery to place it anywhere you want to inside the game.

To do this in FSDS, you need to open your project up, and when you are ready to save it, press the little house icon like you normally would but when the save window appears, don't save it as a .bgl file. Instead use the drop down menu like I have in this picture to save the file instead as a .mdl file. Make sure you remember where you are saving your model file at because you will need to locate it again for the second step of this process. By saving it as a mdl file you do not need to worry about geo coordinates as they do not matter since you will be able to place the object where ever you want to.

Now here's the catch to this method. Since you did not produce an actual scenery file with your FSDS object, you still need to do that at some point. All you have for the moment is a scenery model file, not an actual scenery (.bgl) file that the game can use.

So somehow we need to convert your model file eventually into a scenery file. The way to do this is to first place your model file inside of a scenery library so that you can use it with EZ Scenery.

I believe EZ Scenery has a scenery library creator. If it does, run that utility and locate your scenery model file that you just created and save your scenery library with a name that you can locate. When you've saved your scenery .mdl file into a scenery library, this will create a .bgl file but this is only the library that holds your objects, you still need to use a program like EZ scenery to actually place your models.

So with that all done you should be able to open up EZ Scenery and locate your new scenery library file that you just created that contains your new scenery model that you made inside of FSDS. If you can do that, you can use EZ Scenery to place the object and when you are done, EZ Scenery should allow you to make a scenery file from that object that you just placed.

Sounds complicated but it is not.

The keys are to:
-Save your FSDS model as a .mdl file (not a .bgl file)
-Add your .mdl file to a scenery library
-Use that scenery library and a proggy like EZ Scenery to place your object
-Save your object as a scenery file using EZ Scenery or something like it
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Hi there,

I know that this might be a stupid question but is the EZScenery registered because if not then you can only place object at Seattle

:smt006
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Not a stupid question at all, a very valid one indeed. Same goes for Instant Scenery.

Have to purchase the proggys to make full use of them.
-Mike G.

sr01
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by sr01 »

Mike
After doing that ,can the bgl file created by this method be moved around and placed elsewhere @ another airfield ?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

No you will need to create a new scenery placement file for each location since the objects are locked in by their lat/lon coordinates.

You can however use the same scenery library at multiple locations.
-Mike G.