The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Multiple placement of FSDS created scenary objects

This contains a series of 7 tutorial videos that cover the basic principals of working with FSDS.
sr01
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Multiple placement of FSDS created scenary objects

Post by sr01 »

I need to place a few hangers in multiple places at different airports . How do you scenary gurus go about this ?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Multiple placement of FSDS created scenary objects

Post by BadPvtDan »

Instant Scenery 2
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Create .mdl files from your scenery models and compile those .mdl files into a scenery library .bgl file, then use something like Instant Scenery to create a scenery object placement .bgl file.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

MIKE JG wrote:Create .mdl files from your scenery models and compile those .mdl files into a scenery library .bgl file, then use something like Instant Scenery to create a scenery object placement .bgl file.
Can a scenery object placement .bgl file be done with either FSDS or ADE? or do ya need the fancy software ?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Can't do that with FSDS, but I think you can place objects with ADE. You can also place objects with SBuilder.

The programs like Instant Scenery allow you to actually see and place the scenery objects while you have the sim running so you can put them exactly where you want them to be.

When you have to place them outside of the game with something like ADE or Sbuilder, there's some trial and error in there to get them exactly where you want them to be and on the heading you want them to be facing.
-Mike G.

Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Hi Mike,

I've been liasing with Brian regarding berms at OEPS.

He has created the bgl and bmp files using FSDS. I have imported them into ADE.

The problem is that moving the object around in ADE makes no difference to it's position in the sim.

Is it possible that the bgl has coordinates built in that will only permit it to be in one place? :?
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Stewart Pearson wrote:Hi Mike,

I've been liasing with Brian regarding berms at OEPS.

He has created the bgl and bmp files using FSDS. I have imported them into ADE.

The problem is that moving the object around in ADE makes no difference to it's position in the sim.

Is it possible that the bgl has coordinates built in that will only permit it to be in one place? :?
Stew
To answer that .Yep ,it's built into the FSDS Object's properties so that it will show up in game . In the case of the OEPS berms ,They are a very localized object . The situation is that if Stew finds an error in the ramp @ OEPS that would necesitate moving the berms, he can't as he doesn't have FSDS . I can do it on my PC by rotating, in this case , the whole object and slightly adjusting the lat and long. Rather a backassward way of doing it ! It kinda looks like I'll need to purchase IS2 which I don't mind doing as I'll be needing to make a scenery object placement .bgl file. for about 2 dozen hangers
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

No worries - thanks for trying Brian.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Brian, follow this procedure and this will solve your issue. The key is that you are making your models into scenery objects using FSDS and BGLComp. By doing that, you are adding a lat/lon to each model. Essentially you are making each object into its own scenery file which is NOT what you want to do.

Give this a go and you will see what I'm talking about. This is from a post I wrote replying to the same issue in another thread:
What you want to do with your scenery object is to create it as a model (.mdl) file instead of a scenery (.bgl) file. By creating it as a model instead of a scenery object, you can then use EZ Scenery to place it anywhere you want to inside the game.

To do this in FSDS, you need to open your project up, and when you are ready to save it, press the little house icon like you normally would but when the save window appears, don't save it as a .bgl file. Instead use the drop down menu like I have in this picture to save the file instead as a .mdl file. Make sure you remember where you are saving your model file at because you will need to locate it again for the second step of this process. By saving it as a mdl file you do not need to worry about geo coordinates as they do not matter since you will be able to place the object where ever you want to.

Now here's the catch to this method. Since you did not produce an actual scenery file with your FSDS object, you still need to do that at some point. All you have for the moment is a scenery model file, not an actual scenery (.bgl) file that the game can use.

So somehow we need to convert your model file eventually into a scenery file. The way to do this is to first place your model file inside of a scenery library so that you can use it with EZ Scenery.

I believe EZ Scenery has a scenery library creator. If it does, run that utility and locate your scenery model file that you just created and save your scenery library with a name that you can locate. When you've saved your scenery .mdl file into a scenery library, this will create a .bgl file but this is only the library that holds your objects, you still need to use a program like EZ scenery to actually place your models.

So with that all done you should be able to open up EZ Scenery and locate your new scenery library file that you just created that contains your new scenery model that you made inside of FSDS. If you can do that, you can use EZ Scenery to place the object and when you are done, EZ Scenery should allow you to make a scenery file from that object that you just placed.

Sounds complicated but it is not.

The keys are to:
-Save your FSDS model as a .mdl file (not a .bgl file)
-Add your .mdl file to a scenery library
-Use that scenery library and a proggy like EZ Scenery to place your object
-Save your object as a scenery file using EZ Scenery or something like it
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

To create a scenery library from model files, you will need this:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/downlo ... file&id=93

Looks a bit complicated but it's actually very easy to use once you've got it set up.
-Mike G.

sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Mike
Thank's for taking the time to unravel some of the mysteries .
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

I understand about using Library Creator XML to create a Library using only one model .My question for this week is ,When putting multiple model's into a library is there anyway of placing or rotating them individually ?
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Again, EZ Scenery, Instant Scenery 2 or something similar. :smt001
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Greg wrote:Again, EZ Scenery, Instant Scenery 2 or something similar. :smt001
Thank's Greg .Will be purchasing in the very near future .