The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Quo vadis, MAIW?

Check here for official announcements from MAIW.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Quo vadis, MAIW?

Post by Greg »

In the nine years since MAIW was created, a lot has changed in our little community. New simulators were released. People come and go. In all those years we kept doing what we do best: create full scale military AI packages for FS2004. But are we still relevant? Is the community still expecting the same as they expected nine years ago from us? Is it time for change and if so, where do we go? Quo vadis, MAIW?

Help us shape our future. We only need ten minutes of your time.

Go here to begin the survey!
Chrisb
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Quo vadis, MAIW?

Post by Chrisb »

Greg,

Is this 'one member - one vote' or is it open to multi voting by one or more persons intent on pushing the result in the direction they wish?

Chris
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Clicking on the 'Finish Survey' button at the end doesn't appear to do anything.
Regards,

Alan
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Chrisb wrote:Is this 'one member - one vote' or is it open to multi voting by one or more persons intent on pushing the result in the direction they wish?
O ye of little faith... :P

Let's assume we're all honest people here doing what's best for our hobby. That being said... I do have "means" to identify double votes, so if people try to trick the system they will win nothing. On the contrary: I will make sure all their answers are thrown out of the final results.
Alan Robertson wrote:Clicking on the 'Finish Survey' button at the end doesn't appear to do anything.
It worked for me and about 300 other people at this moment. Only one person on the AIG forums mentioned it didn't work on his phone. Did you try another browser, Alan?
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Hi Greg, I did the survey on IPad, and the finish button just went to a grey blank screen, but I just assumed the results of my survey were published.
Mark
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

That's okay, Mark. It means the "thank you page" didn't load properly but at that moment your answers are already sent.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Also unsure if mine worked.... From mobile in Cologne and while submitted the survey the mobile shut down...
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jacquesbaudy »

Obviously i got the same issue last night with my ipad.referring to the last answer i shan't vote
A second Time ! Maybee time has Come to open a new post in Wich we could debate of the future,
All guys , good easter week-end.
A poor lonesome froggie
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The question as you define it Greg is a composite one - "should we continue to create full scale military AI packages for FS2004?"

The questionnaire however, really only focusses on which sim version users prefer. The sim version is an important part of the question, but we also need to explore the first part - whether to continue to keep providing "full scale military packages", for whatever sim version.

I don't know if the future scope for new packages is reducing significantly, if hypothetically, the great majority are already done. If that's the case, what is it that users want in the future? The questionnaire really needs a box for users to record some comments, unless you can come up with a series of options to cover the likely range of options for what could be provided in the future.

The skills section at the end of the questionnaire is interesting and potentially useful. It might give some clues as to whether users could take on some of the work for themselves, eg flight planning, but it won't indicate the inclination or available time to do it.

John
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

John Young wrote:The sim version is an important part of the question, but we also need to explore the first part - whether to continue to keep providing "full scale military packages", for whatever sim version.
Of course John. The questionnaire is only a first step of the exploration as you call it, and not a discussion an sich nor will it be the only basis for any final decision. Whether to continue providing full scale military packages or not, with the current reality, is an internal discussion which we will have in due time. Joe Simmer has no clue what it takes to make full scale military AI packages so his input in that matter is - with all due respect - of little value.
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Alan Robertson wrote:Clicking on the 'Finish Survey' button at the end doesn't appear to do anything.
It worked for me and about 300 other people at this moment. Only one person on the AIG forums mentioned it didn't work on his phone. Did you try another browser, Alan?[/quote]

Tried it via Internet Explorer (as opposed to Chrome) and it worked this time. :D
Regards,

Alan
viper810

Post by viper810 »

I did the survey to.

Question is: should MAIW continue with publish packages for FS2004? Lets see the fact. We know fs2004 is now more than 10 years old. A little bit outdated but its still works fine.
After FSX came in 2006, I've always wanted to play that game. I bought it in 2006. But I couldn't run it well on my laptop I had. Very bad frame rate.
In 2011 I've build my first PC with the. I tried to play FSX again, but unfortunately it still run very bad after installing some addons. I used some tweaking programs but also after that FSX still runs badly with addons. I was very disappointed and started going back to FS2004. I don't want a game with a very bad frame rate ( i call 30fps or less) and need keep tweaking to run it smoothly.
Now P3D is out know but i don't know how that game runs with my setup.

If P3D can guarantee me that it will run smoothly with my setup and all the addons than maybe i would change my mind.

That's for me the reason why i keep using FS2004. I don't know how you guys think about.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Just to make clear because I got a couple of PM's from concerned people:

If you couldn't make it past the first page, please try again. Only the incomplete set of answers will be discarded in such a case.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

I will close the survey tomorrow evening (Thursday evening CET) so if you haven't completed it yet, now is the time!

Click here to open the survey.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Hello,

Have you the results of this survey ?
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Results are being collated - when they are ready, they will be published.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jive1 »

Hey!
Anyhow....
Since FS2004 is still the best Flight Simulator, and it is not a flight game, please continue to edit military airports and addons for this basic application.
Jive1 - Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
jrbirdman
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jrbirdman »

Jive1 wrote:Hey!
Anyhow....
Since FS2004 is still the best Flight Simulator, and it is not a flight game, please continue to edit military airports and addons for this basic application.
Jive1 - Belgium
+1
yuku
Cadet
Cadet

Post by yuku »

+1
paspou
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant