The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

The Owl's Nest on Bootstrap

Essential flight simulator tools, by Martin Gossmann
http://www.owlsnest.eu
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

The Owl's Nest on Bootstrap

Post by gsnde »

I have migrated the whole Owl's Nest code to Bootstrap (which is a responsive web framework). It is mobile- and tablet-aware and much leaner in terms of code and scripts.

Aside from the feedback form it works very well on tablet devices - on mobiles devices there are still some graphics and tables that scale not correctly (Poll, Daryl and Zsolts paints,...). I will fix those the next days.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: The Owl's Nest on Bootstrap

Post by gsnde »

Back online with all parts. No bugs that I am aware of.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Bootstrap sure makes life easier for web devs with all the different platforms nowadays. Where's the time when we only had to worry about how many pixels a site had to be to display correctly on most monitors.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Has not raised much interest, Greg. I guess people don't use the nest on mobile devices.

Sent from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I'll test on the ipad, but mostly use your site on my gaming laptop.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Thanks for testing!

Sent from mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

gsnde wrote:Has not raised much interest, Greg. I guess people don't use the nest on mobile devices.
That's a good point. I reckon most people use the nest for reference while working on their AI traffic, or when looking for a download link which wouldn't make much sense on a phone.

I had a quick look on my iPhone and bootstrap responds perfectly. The typical bootstrap menu makes navigation quick and the text is easy to read. It only has some trouble with the tables when rotating the phone (i.e. it keeps the intitial width after you turn the phone from e.g. portrait to landscape) but the iPhone's screen is simply too small to display them properly anyway, even in landscape.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Thanks for the feedback, Greg. Yes, the main tables Aircraft, AI and MAIW need a reload when changing orientation. But now that I have get the hang on it I will probably replace the bought table script with a generic bootstrap able version. I am already on it...

Check out the Airport Distance Calculator and the Conversion Tools. Both are now complete rewritten using real bootstrap technology. I think the interface beats the old one a thousand times.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

To be honest, whilst I don't have a problem with either, I think the new one looks smarter.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

The new version is much easier to read on the iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Great, thank you. I think so myself. I have changed the table so that the aircraft classification (fighter, bomber etc.) is invisible on load. That makes the table way more readable. You can unhide / rehide this information with the click of a button.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

MAIW - Old version
MAIW - New version

AI Aircraft - Old version
AI Aircraft - New version

I find the one 'over-all-fields-search' function with highlighted results way better than the old drop-down filter system. Also it is considerably faster.

On the Military Aircraft page I have collapsed the aircraft type fields by default. They have eaten up half of the table's width.

You can collapse and expand visibility with the button on top. The font size automatically increases while the table is smaller.

On the MAIW page the information about MAIW is hidden and can be made visible with the button.

Does all this improves the handling and readability?
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

For the AI Aircraft page, I prefer the OLD version, with menu, search etc... The new with just the complete list is not easy to use...
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

TheFoufure wrote:For the AI Aircraft page, I prefer the OLD version, with menu, search etc... The new with just the complete list is not easy to use...
Please check again... I think you just saw an upload with a bug (the result of my programming skills)... :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

I 've checked again. I now have a "menu" with a search box.

But I prefer the old version... sorry ;-)
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

TheFoufure wrote:I 've checked again. I now have a "menu" with a search box.

But I prefer the old version... sorry ;-)

Maybe (hopefully! :smt003) it is just for you... I have linked the old versions of MAIW and AI-Aicraft into the menu. So you and everybody else is free to choose.

I consider the new pages completed and bug free now.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by WingZ »

Great resource as ever, Martin!
A small irritation... when you click on the aircraft symbol on the world map, you arrive at the appropriate aircraft listing.
After clicking through to the download link, the browser "back" button takes you back to the entire world map, which takes a while to reload.
You then have to drill down again to get to the list.
This makes browsing a country a cumbersome affair!
Would it be possible to return direct to the list?
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I have changed the process so that all download links will open in a new tab / window. When you re-select the Worldmap you still have the list open and can work a whole country without being disturbed.

By the way... I raised a ticket ths morning regarding the webserver performance which is just crawling. Normally all aircraft symbols of the map should be loaded in an instance. Now they appear like poppies in spring....
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by WingZ »

That works well now!
The internet in general is a little slow, perhaps there is a war being waged that we aren't being told about.
New Zealand loads its icon ... dead last.
Being on the Date Line We are used to being first with everything :)