The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

ADE thumbnail creator

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

ADE thumbnail creator

Post by VulcanDriver »

Does anyone know of software that can create thumbnails for ADE from scenery bgls plus their GUIds?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: ADE thumbnail creator

Post by jimrodger »

I think ModelConverterX might be the closest you get.

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is what I use. Load the lib in MCX, create the report and this creates a thumbnails folder in the same directory as the bgl.
Then copy that folder to \Airport Design Editor 170\FS9\Thumbs. Nothing else needed. Once you add the lib to ADE the thumbnails are automatically there.

The individual thumbnail pics include the GUID in the name.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks guys I'll grab that tomorrow.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

Thanks for the tip Steve. I never realized that you could do that.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:That is what I use. Load the lib in MCX, create the report and this creates a thumbnails folder in the same directory as the bgl.
Then copy that folder to \Airport Design Editor 170\FS9\Thumbs. Nothing else needed. Once you add the lib to ADE the thumbnails are automatically there.

Works a treat mate. I can't do thumbnails for all of John's Euro mil library as it causes a unexxpected exception on several objects Has anyone done them for this library. Some good stuff in there I'd like to use.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Weird, I just loaded it up into the latest development version of MCX and it loaded 122 objects from EuroMil no problem and created the report and 122 thumbnails no problem.

The version I am using is 1.4.0.0 785048c dated 28/8/16
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Not an issue here either. Don't waste your time, this will be included in the next release of the MAIW Global Library Package.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Firebird wrote:That is what I use. Load the lib in MCX, create the report and this creates a thumbnails folder in the same directory as the bgl.

Great trick Steve but I've a small problem. Every time that I import a library, every object appears without texture until I point the appropriate texture folder through loading texture menu settings. Is there a more simple way to point automatically to the relative texture folder of the scenery folder which contains the library? I hope to have explained myself well since I don't speak english very well. Thank you in advance
- Maurizio C.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well if that happens then you would be getting untextured objects in your sim.
It defaults to looking in the texture folder in the same tree that the scenery folder sits.

For example, if you have a 'MAIW Objects' folder and under that you have two folders, scenery and texture, when you load a lib in \MAIW Objects\Scenery it will automatically look in \MAIW Objects\Texture.
The only two reasons I can think of for it not to find them is that you have put all your textures in one of the two global folders \Texture or \Scenery\World\Texture ...
or ...
somehow you have messed up your 'TextureSearchPath' variable. This is what it should look like when you open it :-
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (6.72 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Or what it looks like from the Texture settings menu :-
Capture2.PNG
Does that help?
Steve
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Thank you Steve. But it seem that only if I "add" the path to the relative texture folder of the scenery folder from where I imported the library the software is able to create textured object
- Maurizio C.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I honestly have never altered the default paths. It just worked automatically.
So what i think is if you make sure yours matches the pictures above it should work.
I am not sure but I think it is the ..\texture line that does it here.

There is another option...
What I do when I get an upgrade of a lot of software, is to copy the folder as it is now so in my FSUtils folder I copied 'ModelConverterX_140' to create 'ModelConverterX_140 - Copy'. I do this in case the update loses some configuring that I have done. Then I update the original. Once I know there is no problem then I delete the Copy.

Maybe what you could try is copying your existing folder and then deleing everything inside the original and re-installing. If I have never altered my path parm then it should automatically be correct when you try the new install.

If the worst comes to the worst you can always copy the backup over the new installation.

Let us know if it helps.

Incidentally, The latest version of MCX is 1.3 but there have been so many dev versions of 1.4 that this I regard as stable and is what I use. So install 1.3 and then update with the latest dev version. It solved VulcanDriver's MCX problem.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Indeed it did. I keep all my scenery textures (except when they have the same name then I put them in relative scenery texture folder) in the FS9 main texture folder. I then add it to the texture search path in MCX. So it works fine.

Have told MCX that you have .BMP texture files?
John

maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Sorry guys but I am unable to try since two days ago my PC crashed, most probably, definitively. As far as I solve this problem I do nothing. Thank you for your helpfulness

Inviato dal mio GT-I9060 utilizzando Tapatalk
- Maurizio C.
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Solved! I moved all scenery textures to the main texture folder, as John has suggested, and the objects appear now textured. Remain the question why the program don't load the texture from the parent texture folder. Thank you both!
P.S.:attached is the photo of my "texture search path editor": without the last two row I was unable to load the related textures of the library in that scenery path
Attachments
Immagine.png
- Maurizio C.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I changed to using the main texture folder after Steve suggested it. Cuts down on lots of duplicate textures in various folders. Can't answer you texture path question though. Sorry
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Did you try renaming the folder and re-installing MCX to see if that solves the problem?

The one problem you might get with putting everything into the global textures is that if you have multiple libs using the same texture name then they will overwrite the existing one.
To give you an example I have 5 different radar.bmp textures on my system.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

When you copy the texture from its parent texture folder it will say duplicate file (or words to that effect), I tell it not to copy so I get only get one in he main texture folder and the "duplicate" stays in its original folder.
John