The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

NAS Lemoore P3DV4 Package Problem

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
jpf813
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

NAS Lemoore P3DV4 Package Problem

Post by jpf813 »

The new NAS lemoore package looks awesome in P3DV4. But I have one problem and no idea how to stop it.

It seems like all the symbols on the hangers flicker like crazy! Any idea what is causing it? and also to reduce it?

Also the writing on the fuel trucks flicker as well.

The main sign that flickers the most is the squadron symbols on the side of the hangers.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: NAS Lemoore P3DV4 Package Problem

Post by hschuit »

This is the dreaded Z-buffer fighting problem, quite common with converted FS9 scenery objects. FSX and specially P3D do not like rendering scenery object polygons which are placed closely in front of another polygon, in your case the symbol placards. This also happens with FS9 style windows which are modeled as polygons in front of the building wall. The only fix is to remodel those scenery objects.

Henk.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I think Greg has already discovered a way to solve that problem that involved opening the object bgl in MCX and changing a setting. Cannot remember the exact procedure but I’m sure its on the forums somewhere as I did one myself & it worked.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Greg wrote about this bug and its fix here :- https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/83/1 ... as#p187757

It seems like it is a fix on a case by case basis so either you have to be patient and wait for somebody to mod a particular library or you could have a go yourself - but I would recommend backing up the lib before attempting such thibgs.
Steve
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Thanks to Greg's idea I found this in the P3Dv4.4 SDK:

"In order to improve layering materials on the ground for airport ground polygons, Prepar3D has implemented a Z-Bias level material setting. This functionality only works with "No Z Write" checked on the material. Using values between -1 and -50, you can set and order the layering of the ground polygon textures above the default airport aprons, taxiways and runways. The more negative the Z-bias, the higher layer the material will be. For example, the runway ground polygon could be -1 making it the lower layer, the white runway markings could be the middle layer at -2, the yellow runway markings could be -3 ending as the highest layer. This process can be repeated for up to fifty layers, supporting standard and alpha blended materials."

Summarizing, these would be the object model decal material property values you need to set in MCX:
- Enhanced parameters - No Z Write = true
- Enhanced parameters - No Shadow = true
- Z-Bias = -50
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Indeed you need to give the decal texture a negative z-bias in MCX, but not just any negative value seems to work. I’m traveling for work right now but will provide more details when I’m back.