The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF Bruggen OPEN BETA

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

RAF Bruggen OPEN BETA

Post by Manschy »

Hi everybody,

MSFS came out and it was hard to see and accept the circumstance that at a moment's notice lots of users would loose their interest in P3D. It stands to reason, but I think for most of FSX or P3D developers (freeware and payware) a slap in the face.
Especially for all you hard designing AI guys here, but also for sceneries just WIP....
I did need some weeks to accept this and recover my motivation, furthermore to concentrate on going on with my scenery - precisely it is almost done!

Covid 19 in fact was a big brake again because we have to plan some changes regarding life and job - but it is almost sorted out.

So saying this, today I want to offer a first Open Beta for RAF Bruggen, the RAF_Bruggen_P3D_v1 for all who are interested in to test it.

Have fun and please report here all issues and finds. Furthermore, each suggestion is much appreciated in this thread.
If any problems with the download, please let me know.

Here is the download link for the Open BETA:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7utkyj7lp4r87 ... A.zip?dl=0
Regards, Manfred.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: RAF Bruggen OPEN BETA

Post by John Young »

That's uncanny Manny, just a couple of hours ago I was thinking to myself - I wonder how Manny is getting on with Bruggen - I've not heard from him recently?

Not to open the debate in this topic, but I had similar thoughts about MSFS when it arrived, but have since come to perhaps a self serving conclusion that for the next year at least, it holds no interest for me because I can't design AI aircraft for it. I might as well stick with FSX and P3D for now. At least, so it seems, FSX AI aircraft can probably be used in MSFS, as could your RAF Bruggen probably. I know Ian is having success with his RAF Coningsby - so, just stay flexible.

Well done for getting to the Beta stage.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Current state, MSFS will be unusable for me near future. No mil AI traffic, no needful mil aircraft. Most parts again a lot of self-made results - a lot of work, and lots of people predicted this had an end with MSFS - it doesnt...
Anyway, have fun all with the BETA 8)
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Delighted to see this, Manschy! It'll bring back lots of happy memories of RAFG in the 70s and 80s.

Don't worry about MSFS. As yet, it's a long way away from being usable for our needs. It's a lovely visual experience, but a pretty poor flight simulator. Not one of the included aircraft provides a realistic - or even believable - flight experience, and the 'living world' aspect that drives MAIW is pretty much totally lacking. I very much hope it will get there, but for now P3D offers a much better simulator, and, with the right addons, is not far short of MSFS on the visuals. Like FS9, I suspect it'll be around for a very long time. And, if AIG get the helicopter thing sorted, there's still scope for improvement for AI traffic.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Not sure where I read this, but some wrote MSFS is currently a "scenery simulator". I couldn't have said it any better....
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, that sums it up very well.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Am quite glad I decided to keep my money in my pocket and see how MSFS was reviewed by the public before buying it. Currently I have no intention of buying MSFS and this will remain the case for some considerable time.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Yes, it was kind of a dead investment for me, Manfred. I have removed it in the meantime.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thanks, guys. But this will not be another MSFS thread, okay?

So keep this thread clean now for the Brüggen BETA, please :wink:
Regards, Manfred.
raclim
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by raclim »

Manfred,

Just had some time to play around with your RAF Bruggen in P3D 4.5 and I have to say that it is absolutely breathtaking! Paired with John Young's AI Tornado's and the Just Flight Tornado it really brings back the Cold war days :lol:

As with this being a BETA, I do would like to help you out by pointing out certain things I came across.
Would you like me to address these in this forum thread or by a private message?

Best regards,
Randy
hawkdriver
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by hawkdriver »

Manfred,
Just to clarify, at least to me, is RAF Bruggen just for P3D forward and not FSX (SE). I installed into Fsx-SE and had 3 CTDs. Just wanted to make sure. Your screenshots look GREAT!. Best, Rob
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you, guys.

@Rob: This version is still for P3Dv4.*. It uses several special P3Dv4 features that will unfortunately not work with FSX. Meant for example there are several objects which had Dynamic Lighting effects added or they are converted to P3Dv4 only format via Model Converter X.
To change these objects will be no problem because they are also done for FSX but not in use in this version.
I will have to complete the P3D version first, because the nice features like Dynamic Lighting, real Tree Shadows or reflections was a big attraction to me to prefere the P3D version :smt002 .

To clarify at this site: There will not be a FS9 version - this would be too much effort and I don't use FS9 for still a long time :smt001
Regards, Manfred.
hawkdriver
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by hawkdriver »

Manfred,
Thanks for the quick turnaround reply. I'll hopefully wait on the sidelines with fingers crossed. Thanks, Rob
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Manschy. A couple of comments. I installed it first using your directions to put it in an 'Addon Scenery' folder within P3D (as per FS9/FSX). It didn't work fully for some reason, much of the scenery objects didn't show in P3D. I removed it, put it in my usual scenery folder outside P3D and added it using Lorby's Addon Organiser (which writes the XML files to enable it) and it worked fine.

The Tower position is in the middle of the runway. Using the Tower view in P3D gives an... interesting perspective, but for watching airfield ops I prefer a more traditional tower position. I've moved it to the actual tower location in my installation, and much prefer the result.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you for response, Tim.

So glad about all constructive critism!!! :D

Tim, I didn't have focus on that so far but I would appreciate if you can give us your improved location on this site, please.
Meanwhile, I use Chaseplane to add my spotter views and did forget to make a proper placement for the tower view inside ADE.

Regarding the "addon scenery" folder:

I did write "appropriate" but did mean respective. That's a bit difficult with translation sometimes. Yes, inside P3D there are several options to place the scenery and hopefully, I will find a good description how to do this inside the manual :wink: ...

I appreciate each other hint or solution for found issues :smt006
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Manschy. This screenshot shows where I put the tower. I don't claim it to be accurate, but for me it gives a better field of view than where you had it.
Attachments
ETUR.PNG
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Okay, I suppose the small single black square to the right should be the correct tower placement. Your spotting view is the terminal, maybe? I will correct this immediately.

Already working on found issues:

- Some 3D-Grass growing on concrete/asphalt
- Wrong Hard Winter textures on several Winter trees
- Missing HAS floor South West area

All technical help is much appreciated, especially regarding possible AFCAD issues.
Regards, Manfred.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

The 3 OPC bunkers changed from green grass to white snow in HW at last...
Regards, Manfred.
Bora
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Bora »

Manfred,

Stunning looking scenery, really outstanding ! This actually made me buy P3D after being away from FS9 for some years and doing some "actual" flying in DCS instead... :oops:

Already used to be a great fan of your Gütersloh scenery when I was still actively using FS9 and creating flightplans...

I noticed a few things after testing, although these a most likely not caused by your scenery:

- tower and ground are on the same frequency ?
- ramp parking is being referred to as general aviation parking by ATC
- aircraft already parked at the visitor ramp when starting your scenery are facing towards the runway... Aircraft arriving after having started your scenery will park at this ramp with their tail towards the runway. Now this is normal behaviour so nothing wrong here... But they are parking much closer to the runway, as if a mirror was placed in front of the parked aircraft facing the runway. They are not really on the exact same spot and therefor not in between the ground equipment. Aircraft parking at the HAS are really parked at the exact same spot, wonder what is causing this different behaviour ? You can see on these screenshots (hope they work):

Nothing to do with your scenery but maybe someone knows an answer to this: I am using the suberb Tornado AI models from John Young (Brüggen package), but although I am using the P3D version of his Tornado which is supposed to have a build-in afterburner according to the manual that came with this model, I am not seeing any afterburner effects... Installed everything as per the instructions.

Thanks,
Eric
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you very much for response and your compliments, Eric .

And thank you for your discoveries. Yes, regarding the flightline, I noticed this behaviour as well and noticed I have forgotten do delete some normal taxi points right in front of the parking spots. Those originally were set when I did try to create drive through parkings. Well spotted, I just did delete them.

I will check the frequencies, but actually they are set as follows:
- Tower 122,200
- Approach 122,300
- Departure 122,400.

I rarely do adjust the frequencies inside the cockpit manually but let the ATC window do - this does work fine and I did not get any issue with it. If anybody else notice a frequency issue, please report.

Regarding John's Tornados: When I do spot the jets from the tail view, I notice the afterburner starting a little staggered, around 4 - 5 seconds after starting rolling. Maybe John can help here....

Some comments about working SODE animations, night lighting and working seasonal changes would be very welcome...
Regards, Manfred.