The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

AI at Alconbury FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

AI at Alconbury FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I have a very strange problem.

I've installed the Aggressor squadron and they show up. But the JYAI A10 and JYAI TR-1 that are included in the package don’t show up.

AFIP validates the flight plans that came with package.

Correct parking codes are used. Only thing I can thing off is how FSX uses the parking spot radius.

I’ve even changed parking spots to match the sizes in AI Aircraft Editor. Still no joy.

Any help appreciated.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: AI at Alconbury FSX

Post by Firebird »

I know that this is really obvious but you have to always start with the obvious, any fs9 traffic files as part of the package?
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I ran AIFP and it didn't find any. I'll double check tomorrow it's strange it's only this package that has this problem.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Got the same problem at Bentwaters and Woodbridge. Very strange seems to affect some aircraft but not others.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Try running ACA2017 or ACA2017 Lite to see if they throw up any errors.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

AIFP will only check that the aircraft exists in an aircraft.cfg file, not that it's actually present in the sim. It's worth checking the aircraft files in AIEditor to see what other problems might exist. I discovered that the aircraft.cfg calls for the A10-C models for several aircraft (this may be an error, but it'll prevent these aircraft from appearing), and these aren't present in the Alconbury package. Either go through the cfg file and change references to the C model to the equivalent A model, or import the C models from the Twin Bases package into the Alconbury A-10 file. I didn't find a problem with the TR-1, however.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Guys. Just downloaded ACA2017
John

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I've no idea about that program - every time I've tried to install and use it, it's crashed. And it doesn't recognise P3Dv5.

I have Alconbury open now in v5. The A10s are there, but no TR1s. The traffic file is fine, the aircraft are fine, the traffic slider is 100% (note that all the plans in this traffic file require the slider at 100%), all other traffic locally (and there's lots!) is fine, and I know the Fairford TR1s work ok, so there may be another issue.

Edit: ah, belay that. I have both the JYAI TR-1a and Kevin Reed U-2s operating at Alconbury! Now to find the old traffic file that's generating the U-2s.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have used ACA2017, and earlier, quite happily for both FS9 and FSX. SO hopefully it will help John.
Steve
JBD
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JBD »

Away from my pc at the moment so can’t check this. I wanted to install the JYAI A10 at Bentwaters & Woodbridge when repaints became available. This was in FSX and the AI failed to appear. After a bit of tinkering I think that reducing the wingspan fixed the problem. Was worth the effort. They look and sound fantastic.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes - just noticed that the Alconbury A-10s have an 18m radius, which is a bit weird. I've reset them to the JYAI-standard 7m as used for pretty much all fast jets.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

I ran into the same problem with the A-10 in the past and it was the wing_span value and the parking radius that was the problem. The aircraft.cfg file lists the wing_span=117.42 feet. If I remember John Young's comments, the wing_span was set at 117.42 to get the A-10 model to display proper flight characteristics. I changed the parking dimension and the A-10's showed up. Hope this helps.

Paul
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes indeed, the wing span is often set to a value that is different to the aircraft in the real world. Same for weight. It's done to achieve the flight envelope for an AI aircraft, not a flyable one. It's always better to change the parking radius, not the wing span, or the FDE could be disturbed.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I now have the TR-1s showing. No A-10s yet. How do I change the parking radius? I thought it was not used in FSX for parking?
John

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Open the AFCAD in ADE or AFC and increase the size of the relevant spots.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

John Young wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 06:56 Open the AFCAD in ADE or AFC and increase the size of the relevant spots.
Ah yes of course. I was under the impression that the change was made in the aircraft fde
John

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

John Young wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 13:36 Yes indeed, the wing span is often set to a value that is different to the aircraft in the real world. Same for weight. It's done to achieve the flight envelope for an AI aircraft, not a flyable one. It's always better to change the parking radius, not the wing span, or the FDE could be disturbed.

John
I do understand this, but I have to report that changing the span of the A-10s to fit a 7m parking spot has had no deleterious effects that I’ve noticed. I have seen other AI react badly to span changes, however!

My logic is that 18m parking spots attract inappropriate parking by large aircraft trying to squeeze into HASs (for instance, the B-1 uses 16m span, and the KC-46 uses 18m). I don’t tend to follow AI in the air so I’m less concerned about what they get up to when they’re out of sight of an airfield, and for me the pleasure is in watching an airfield come to life.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Alconbury is fixed. the AGC Woodbridge and Bentwaters still have no A-10s. I've increased the parking radius to 19m and still no show.

Also I used the AGC FSZ scenery for Bentwaters and changed incorrect comms frequencies which ADE rejected on compile.Since my recompile it no longer shows up in the United Kingdom list. It is in the "Any" list using its ICAO code but no other details until I select it for flight and the Airport box shows is correct name.
John

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The country is set in the Airport Properties, or in the Raw Data View. I've just checked mine and it is set accurately - it's worth checking the spelling and punctuation, though. I've fallen foul of that before!

The frequencies are a bugbear of mine. ACG (among others) used to always include at least one UHF frequency (which FS9/FSX/P3D can't use) and set the rest to NATO standard 122.1/120.5 if there were no dedicated VHF freqs available. Of course, that means the listener can hear every base within 200 miles on the same frequency! I solve this by importing stock data for nearby airports, then letting ADE choose discrete frequencies for Ground and Tower. Approach will usually be a nearby major civil airfield, but sometimes I'll allocate that too. It's not prototypical, but it does mean that if you want to hear, say, Bentwaters traffic, you hear Bentwaters only!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Tim. Good idea about importing stock airport comms. I've also noticed that agc have used over 300+ aprons at Bentwatrrs which the compiler doesn't like as it has a limit of 245 aprons. So I've had to remove them. Also duplicate parking and orphan parking. It needs updating.
John