The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

P3D v4.5 RAF Leuchars (Dale Ashcroft): AI does not show up

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

P3D v4.5 RAF Leuchars (Dale Ashcroft): AI does not show up

Post by Manschy »

Hi,

back to flightsim after some weeks, I installed Dale's RAF Leuchars. It comes without any AI traffic but complete AFCAD with parkings etc.

To get the famous scenery alive, I use a simple traffic file with F-4s which only should do some turnarounds.
This flightplan I generally use for other air bases and just replace aircraft and airports. It usually works fine.

But at RAF Leuchars, it fails.
So I think the culprit is inside the AFCAD.
If anybody wants to help me, I have the RAF Leuchars AFCAD attached. Any help is appreciated.
Attachments
EGQL_ADEP4_MS_ADE.bgl
(52.2 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: P3D v4.5 RAF Leuchars (Dale Ashcroft): AI does not show up

Post by TimC340 »

We were discussing Leuchars (the Steve Legg FSX version) elsewhere, Manschy. I have Dale’s version operating in P3Dv5, and AI seems to be fine. However, there is another (possibly related) issue that crashes the sim (it just stops, and the computer freezes) when I visit EGQL. I haven’t investigated it yet, but I will at some point.

Edit: the other discussion is here: https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/topic/19962
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you, Tim. Yes, I had a look at it before, but it does not give any indications of my problems.
It's strange, because I always could solve my AI problems so far. Will have a deeper look at this issue anyhow...
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I only mentioned it because of the coincidence, really, but there’s always the possibility that a bit of useful information comes from the discussion.

I did note that Dale’s photoreal background is 166mb, which is exceptionally large for a single and relatively small airfield. I wonder if deleting that would affect both of our issues? I normally find that a LOD18 photoreal background comes out at about 30-40mb.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Okay, no matter what I try, there is still no AI traffic. And I have no idea if the culprit is the AFCAD or perhaps after all something wrong inside the traffic files. I have them attached if anybody wants to have a look at.

Regarding the ground: For my personal Buckeburg Air Base I even use an almost 400 MB photoreal:

Nowadays, most sceneries are equipped with monstergrounds I assume...
Attachments
Airports_Leuchars.txt
(397 Bytes) Downloaded 17 times
Aircraft_Leuchars.txt
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Regards, Manfred.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

...and the flightplans:
Attachments
Flightplans_Leuchars.txt
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Regards, Manfred.
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

I've had a similar issue to this before, are you adding ai using AIFP at all?
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Hi Dan,

yes, indeed - everything is done via AIFP and it shows "compiling successful".

Next what I will try is checking out the traffic nearby Leuchars - I can't detect any other traffic there (GA or business jets at higher altitude...). But all about Great Britain, there is traffic like it should be.
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Your traffic files certainly generate for me, Manschy, although I don't get to see any traffic moving as EGQL locks up my computer within around 5 seconds of opening! (I'll try recompiling the airport for P3Dv5). But, before it locks, I see the main apron full of F4s - LittleNavMap shows none in the HAS sites as they're all designated for Typhoons, I think*.

No they're not - they're designated (in the version I have, which I think is the original UKMIl FSX conversion) for 11 Sqn and 43 Sqn F4s.
Last edited by TimC340 on 04 Oct 2022, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you for information.

Umpf - that's really weird. So everything seems to be fine, but not on my rig....
I will investigate if there are any other F-4s (or aircraft...) which corrupt the Leuchars flightplans.

Strange that you get the issue with the CTD, but certainly it is a problem with using this scenery with P3Dv5. Hope you will get it fixed, hopefully by recompiling.
Will report back if I get any success...
Regards, Manfred.
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

In which case what you have to do with AIFP is basically collect all the airport data. Firstly click find/collect airports, then tick the addon airports & P3D box. That should bring up a list of all the active scenery areas in the sim, click select all then use selected/checked. It will then scan them all, once it's done that click collect & then save. finally go to the airports drop down menu & click "use collected add-on data from target version."

That then made it all work for me
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Will do so this evening. Thank you for this hint, Dan.
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Recompiling didn't work! I have a feeling it's one or more traffic files that operate in that area. Tomorrow, I'll try it with no traffic and build it up to see when it fails - if it works at all! It's a shame, as it's a really nice scenery - and I lived there in the Lightning years (my Dad was a flight commander on 23 Sqn and reformed 11 Sqn as its first Lightning CO).
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Okay, another strange thing. I detected a GROB Tutor appearing fine on the flightline apron, obviously from the package Traffic_MAIW_RAF and RN Grob Tutors_FSX.bgl which I did install 2019. I did compare the datas from the traffic files, especially the airport datas (Lat Lon Alt), but they have the exact same values like the invisible F-4s.
Only difference was inside the flightplans wherein some Grobs use VFR instead of IFR by the F-4s. So I changed the F-4s to VFR but without luck.

As matters stand now, there seems to be everything okay but without any F-4s. That's truly weird.
Regards, Manfred.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Now that's disappointing. I noticed I now have NO military traffic in GB at all! After I tried shaggys suggestion all my traffic is lost. For sure not Shaggys fault, but strange.
No aircraft at Marham, Coningsby, Bentwaters, Alconburry for example.
Strange too: All AI aircraft appear fine in Germany, Netherlands or USA. No more idea....
Is there any option to use an older data base of the airports / aircraft which I can exchange from an older backup? I did so for several times a year. So it would be nice to know where to look for...
All traffic files and scenery files are on its place. I am totally baffled...
Regards, Manfred.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Manschy, there is a traffic file in some versions of EGQL that I've downloaded - and it's in FS9 format. Check for that first.

On the AFD, the ELUAS parking is allocated 'UAS'* but Nick's Tutors have the parking code 'G115', so they won't park there (but for some reason almost anything else will!). The HAS site parking spots are nominated '43S' and '111S', and the main pan is (I think) '64S'. Check that agrees with your AI aircraft's parking codes. There used to be a version of the airfield that was modified for Tornado F3 years, so those parking codes may be different on the version you have.

* Note that for the F4 (and F3) period, the US should fly Bulldogs (JBAI). Some of these I've seen with 'UAS' as the parking code, some have 'BULL'.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Okay, fortunately I have a completely P3D backup (a little older, but okay...)
Now I transferred my entired "world/scenery" folder to my P3D and everything seems to run fine.
I also compiled an F-4 traffic file for testing, they all are F-4s from Wattisham though - and all aircraft now appear without any issue. I don't know what happened, but now I have traffic at Leuchars. Still not at the HAS site, but that's no problem at all.
Thanks again for support, Tim and Dan.

@Tim: Hope you'll get your issues sorted out as well! Keep us informed here please...

Regards, Manfred.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I am not a P3D user, and I don't intend to become one, but it does make me pause when i read about these issues like this.

Seemingly fine installations hit an issue and it can only be recovered when you reinstall the game and copy everything back it is fine.
Worrisome.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I don't think it's anything to do with P3D, Steve. I think it's one of the hazards of trying to update FS9 sceneries for later sims, whether FSX or P3D. There are several versions of Stevo's EGQL out there - I have at least three of them, and two contain a traffic file in FS9 format despite one of them having been converted to FSX format by UKMil. That file - which is in the main Scenery folder - will suppress traffic over a very large area in FSX or any version of P3D. Whether that's the cause of Manschy's problems who knows, but it'll be something like that. It's really an occupational hazard of having a complex FS installation using old and new assets from many developers!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Fair enough, I maybe be lumping it with all the other issues that I read about with it, like upgrading.

It could be that its so flexible a system that it is easy to upset the apple cart. It just seems to an outsider that it seems to be more prone to reinstalls than other sims.
Steve