The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

HS Andover

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

HS Andover

Post by John Young »

Quite retro now, but I have always liked the Andover. There will be several models, all for FSX and P3D, This is the RAF C.1 in the two tone brown paint scheme:

The aircraft also fits well with my AW Argosy that I produced a few years ago:

An unusual feature of the Andover is it's ability to "kneel". The main gear folds slightly to lower the rear of the aircraft to put the ramp nearer to the ground for easier loading. That was actually very easy to animate, not by playing with the gear, but by animating the fuselage, with all other parts linked to it, except the gear. It's the same principle as setting up hover taxi for AI helicopters. This is the Andover in the "kneeling" position (it's a lovely animation to watch):

You can see the difference in the following screen shot:

My intention is to make the Andover's of 46 Squadron that were based at RAF Thorney Island in the UK during the first half of the 1970's. Tim has kindly looked at the scenery for the base and I think he has come up with some workable options that I will follow up, including traffic files, to make a complete package.

There are also a few other UK variants I'm considering and I'd like to create the dozen or so examples that were sold to New Zealand for the RAF stock. I'm sure Preston would like those.

John
Jobza Guddun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Re: HS Andover

Post by Jobza Guddun »

Looks awesome John. I always thought the E3/E3A looked smart in their red and white schemes too.

Top work!
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by Manschy »

Another brilliant addon. The kneeling effect is a jawdropper.
Regards, Manfred.
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

John, Sir... you are my hero!

And since the RNZAF was IIRC the only other military operator, I thank you sincerely! I can now retire my YS-11's in Andover paint, and start repainting yours in the 5 schemes they carried in 1991 ;-)

I have paint and marking guides for them, so will be firing up Paintshop Pro as soon as a paintkit is available!

Sean (a grateful Kiwi!)

p.s. I have access to an Andover if you want anything... oh, and all the paint and marking information you can eat :)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I thought you would like them Preston. Would you like to do the RNZAF paints? I just have to determine if any changes to the model are needed first.

John
Delboy99
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by Delboy99 »

Another beautiful model that fills a gap in a retro set up. The pictures look absolutely stunning. Thank you John.

Cheekily wondering if you were planning on doing the VIP version, the CC2 as well.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I am considering the CC2, but the fuselage is 11ft shorter than the C1, so quite a bit more work.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

That looks great, John.

For scenery. the Download Hangar already has a version of Thorney Island for FS9 by Brian Clarke (see here). As far as I remember, it works pretty well in FSX. This is a screenshot from that airfield in P3Dv5 (no, that's not a pre-production version of John's Andover!):

There is a native-FSX EGUV for Horizon GenX users by Trevor Clark (see here). It uses the same Ted Andrews structures, and includes some contemporary charts (1973).

Neither version includes the large parking area on the south-west part of the airfield which was the primary dispersal for the C-130 and Andover from 1966-75, and which can be seen in this ADE screenshot from the work I'm doing. Nor are they accurate in several other respects, so I hope that even with very much the same Ted Andrews buildings, it will be a little better fit to the period we need.

There are a couple of fairly prominent buildings at Thorney which aren't really covered by Ted's libraries, so if you can be patient, I will attempt to include them by my own hand.

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Many thanks Tim. No need to rush, I have plenty to do yet, starting with the LODs on the primary models.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

No worries John - this was really to inform all those who might be interested; I knew you knew already!

I should add that I also have Abingdon already completed, though it will need some editing for the Andover.

SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Morning John,
I've sent a message to my contact at the RNZAF museum re: Paint and marking charts, I'll see what comes back :)

Sean
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Righto... a quick message from 'Barf' at the RNZAF museum.... documents in a zip file here:

http://ta4ksim.com/downloads/RNZAF_Ando ... nt_Ref.zip

Loads of useful info for RNZAF schemes. Interesting fact, in 1991 we had 4 different schemes on the fleet at the same time. Not bad for only 10 airframes!

Cheers
Sean
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Sean, but I can't download from the link you posted - nothing happens when I click or double click it.

John
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Hmm, might have to copy the link and paste in a new tab. Probably because my website is not HTTPS.

I can email it, about 8mb

Sean
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Sean, file received. I'll make the LODs and then paint your examples after that.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

With the information kindly supplied by Sean, I was able to make the 10 Royal New Zealand Air Force Andovers that were acquired from the RAF. There are 3 models so far, doors open, doors closed and "kneeling". When the aircraft retired, they were in 4 different liveries:

Sean is seeking permission to convert some third-party FS9 scenery of Whenuapai airfield, where these Andovers were based. We already have realistic flight plans.

While he is doing that I'm going to move on to the remaining UK Andover examples.

John
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Very nice!
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Always loved the VIP scheme… looked smart.

That’s looking great John, the guys at the RNZAF Museum are very excited about this project, they are about to refurbish their Andover for display (she was outside for many years) so are very pleased to see their girl get some attention :)

Cheers
Sean
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

This is the last batch of Andover's that I'll produce I think. These add 7 UK "special" types to the pack (the two shots are taken from each end of the flight line):

This is one of 7 examples flown by 115 Sqn in the airfield nav-aid calibration role:

This one sports the squadron's anniversary tail paint:

Andover XS596 was a UK "Open Skies" aircraft. It was scrapped as Boscombe Down in 2013.

Only one Andover sported a grey/green camouflage scheme - XS544, used by 51 Sqn at RAF Wyton in the Strategic Reconnaissance role, although, probably used for training:

Two "Raspberry Ripple" schemes will be in the pack, This one is from the Empire Test Pilots School at Boscombe Down:

The second is a Royal Aircraft Establishment example, that was often seen experimenting with different noses:

Finally, not another stretched Andover version as above, but the standard HS-748 with the shorter fuselage and longer wings. I think there were 3 of these aircraft operated by the RAF's Queen's Flight, before the BAe-146 was introduced:

Next job is to paint the additional serial numbers. I can then look at scenery and try to produce some flight plans.

John
Jobza Guddun
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Jobza Guddun »

Fabulous work.