The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Help needed please - FSX Flap Test

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Help needed please - FSX Flap Test

Post by Firebird »

Sorry I have been away for a few days but for some reason my VPN and my IP has been blocked by this sites spam protection system.

Paul,
I read about your TTB issue. From what I understand from JY is that when he tried to use the version that I have for FSX:SE it wouldn't work.
My currently theory is that versions for SE and versions for FSX are not compatible. Depending upon your game version Paul I would go back to the version that you know works.

OK, after many frustrating and bewildering days the cause was discovered to be Super Traffic Board on my system.
Although it does not mention it the manual for my version (3.2.1) it does mention something in the manual for the last version 3.2.1 (SP1B), which I can not find as being available any more.
It seems that STB sets flaps for take off. The settings are 0-6 according to the aircraft, 0 being no flap. The aircraft must be defined and loaded from a text file. So by default all non-specified aircraft are set to 6. version SP1B allows you to set the default the rest don't.

Once I created a file for the aircraft and then loaded it and saved the parm the aircraft behaved like everyone else's system. If you use STB then you will need to create a txt file to load and add all of our aircraft to it.

maybe somebody will find this useful.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

We need another tiny bit of help please from FSX users.

Tim has put together a very nice scenery of RAF Abingdon to supplement Thorney Island for the Andover package. However, while Tim can see the main apron in front of the hangars (FSX-SE) I can't (FSX- Deluxe) using the same files. The asphalt polygons are drawn in exactly the same way as those at Thorney Island, which I can see. Very strange.

All we need is a few FSX users to load the AFCAD into their FSX Addon Scenery folder and navigate to Abingdon to see if the aprons are present. I'll gladly PM the file to anyone who can offer help.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I will have a look, John.
Steve
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

John I can take a look
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by hschuit »

I can see the aprons.
Attachments
EGUD_test2.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Many thanks Henk. That proves that the aprons are OK for the same FSX version that I have. I just don't know why I can't see them.

John

PS: Solved it! I had switched off all of my UK scenery areas just in case there was interference from another airfield, but I had left my MAIW Waypoints folder active. Switching off that one enabled the aprons to show. I then found an AF2_EGUD.bgl (Abingdon) waypoint in the folder. Removing that file keeps the aprons visible.

Many thanks to Steve and Gary also, but no further testing is necessary.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks for that, peeps. Busy today on other stuff but I'll be back on the treadmill tomorrow.

PS Henk's screenshot shows the value of Orbx! I can't stand the urbanised countryside FSX delivers.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

John Young wrote: 18 Feb 2023, 15:12 Many thanks Henk. That proves that the aprons are OK for the same FSX version that I have. I just don't know why I can't see them.

John

PS: Solved it! I had switched off all of my UK scenery areas just in case there was interference from another airfield, but I had left my MAIW Waypoints folder active. Switching off that one enabled the aprons to show. I then found an AF2_EGUD.bgl (Abingdon) waypoint in the folder. Removing that file keeps the aprons visible.

Many thanks to Steve and Gary also, but no further testing is necessary.

John
The AF2_EGUD.bgl file is a basic Abingdon AFD with a few parking spots and hangars. I think it may be the same version as is included in the Jaguar package. In my installation (both FSX:SE and P3Dv5) it was suppressed by my scenery, but it may be worth bearing in mind for any traffic files that use it as a waypoint. I'm not sure whether deleting it will affect those files, or whether the AI engine will substitute my EGUD for that one on the proximity principle.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The AF2_EGUD.bgl waypoint is indeed a basic AFCAD at ground level Tim, so your more detailed version should serve the same purpose. I'll put a warning in the Andover manual about the potential duplication and consequence.

John