The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nvidia cards and removing the jaggies

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Nvidia cards and removing the jaggies

Post by Firebird »

OK simply put with the nHancer software, no longer updated, you could mod your individual applications to achieve certain benefits when using nvidia cards.
You had to use nHancer because nvidia in their infinite wisdom had FS9 as using the AA mode of enhanced, AA being Anti-Aliasing. This meaning that it enhanced the in game AA. Trouble was the FS9 in game AA didn't work. So what you had to do was switch off AA in FS9 and create a new nHancer profile that removed the Enhanced and positively added AA.

End of problem? Well it was until nHancer stopped being updated and nvidia altered their drivers on version 25x.xx plus. So FS9 users were stuck using version 249.

Now though there is a new proggie called Nvidia Inspector, which you can now do the same thing to so you can use the latest drivers.
Now to get the latest version of the Inspector, read about how it looks and the sort of thing you can do then have a look at this post. http://www.simforums.com/forums/nhancer ... 36586.html

Now what I have done is create 3 profiles that you can import into the Inspector. You can do this from the tool bar on the profile settings page.
Once you have loaded them you then apply the changes. You can check by then looking at the 'MS Flight Simulator 2004' profile and if it shows under Antialiasing that the Behaviour flag is set to Disable the 'Enhance the application setting' and the setting is 4xS then it has loaded correctly. AF, Anisotropic Filtering is also set on. I have deliberately not set it to the highest AA and AF settings as higher settings take processing power. This will transform the game w/o a side effect. Once you know these work you can mess around with them as you like.

Now when you load FS9 that little model in the selection window will be aliased as will the game once you load it and you can have the latest nvidia drivers. Don't forget you must switch off AA in FS9.

I also include profiles for FSRepaint and ACM so these are jaggie free as well.

Please note that I have found that when you update drivers quite often the profiles will get lost so you may need to re-add them.
Attachments
FS2004_nvidia_inspector.zip
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: Nvidia cards and removing the jaggies

Post by Greg »

Excellent post, Steve.

Important to know for nVidia users who experience very bad autogen shimmering, like I did, is that the specific antialiasing setting of 8xS or higher will drastically reduce this and enhance your experience enormously!
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

Wow, great post!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks, Mark.
It seems you are likely to be the official guinea pig. Let us know if it solved your issue.
Steve
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by djnocturnal »

Firebird wrote:Thanks, Mark.
It seems you are likely to be the official guinea pig. Let us know if it solved your issue.
Well, as the official guinea pig. I can say this works! loaded up the profiles into Nvidia Inspector and loaded up the sim and jaggies are gone! Thanks a bunch for this! :D
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

No real jaggies for me on my GTX460M, at least I can't them as well as I did on my last cpu with FS9. I did d/l this and set it up for the FSX profile.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Good to know Mark.
I can't say about FSX whether the standard profile included in the Inspector is good to go for it or not, but it does seem to help.
Steve
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

That's great Steve, thanks; I only have a GeForce 6200 but it got rid of the rest of the little jaggies I was getting :smt023
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Hi All

I have finally got around to installing Nvidia Inspector.

WOW

The difference is amazing. Don't know why it took me so long to get around to it.

the latest version is available here:

http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=51

Thanks guys
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
knarfy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by knarfy »

Hi, I have an issue with clouds, specifically night time, they are awful, and was wondering while I use FS9 and have the Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti drivers updated, in the game for weather I use ActiveSky6.5 with GE Pro, and Nvidia Inspector setup and shown in the sim forums. I just cant seem to get a handle on decent night time clouds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frank
WTCHURSIX

"Sir the cause of the fire was the insurance payment rubbing up against the mortgage payment causing friction"

800nates
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by 800nates »

Okay Help me out here. i do not understand any of this nor know where to put any of it
:?: :?:
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Go to the simforum link in the first post.

John