The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
navy81
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Re: Support for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by navy81 »

Dustoff,
Thanks for the reply - I have done the same wrt to adding the "FSX" suffix to the traffic files upon conversion. I have also gone through every file in the scenery\world\scenery folder - (after they were originally converted per the MAIW FSX instructions), opening them with AIFP24 (AIFP ver 2.4) and ensuring they were in fact FSX.

There has to be a gremlin in there somewhere. Because I have so many loaded, I just haven't found it yet. I'll report back when I have exhausted my efforts.

Deke
grndsprt
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Installed MAIW files directly to FSX

Post by grndsprt »

Im sure that there must be a reason this shouldn't work, or maybe I'll have issues later on. But I did successfully install several MAIW files directly to fsx last night using the MAIW installer. The only thing I changed was the destination folder from fs9 to flightsim x . After the installer ran, I simply moved the aircraft from the fsx aircraft folder to the fsx/sim objects/aircraft folder, I then removed any exclude.bgl files from the addon/scenery folder. I then opened fsx and everything seemed to fly as advertised. In addition some files such as nellis that appeared in the addon scenery folder were then added suing the regular fsx program and poof, they worked fine also. I didnt convert any traffic files to fsx and I have numerous woai files installed and they all work also. I know this isn't explained very well but it did work for me. There may be a reason that it shouldn't be done this way, and if someone knows, please let me know so I can uninstall them and tr again to do it the suggested way.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Deke,
Just a thought, if you are still having this problem. The World\scenery folder isn't the only place where traffic files can be.
Several developers also put them scenery folders. If the scenery folder is in the scenery.cfg then anything will be loaded from there.

Before the days of FSX some developers liked to place traffic files within scenery folders so that if the scenery was removed the traffic was automatically removed. MS kinda screwed that nice tidy-up routine when they altered the format for FSX.

Unless I am mistaken all your problem bases are on the east coast. I would check your scenery folders for traffic files. Don't forget that this doesn't only mean planes, if you have any boat AI traffic, for example FreeFlow Florida then they will need to be converted as well.
Steve
gregone
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by gregone »

If you havent done so make sure you upgrade your AI Flightplanner to the latest version. It fixed my Traffic not showing up.
in FSX. Cheers Greg 8)
navy81
Cadet
Cadet

Post by navy81 »

Steve,
Bingo! That was the problem. about 8 or 9 traffic files were hidden in addon scenery folders.
Lesson learned - Run the "find FS9 traffic files" for your entire OS drive that FSX resides on. Thanks for the education! :)

Deke
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Cool. So all your traffic issues are now resolved then?
Steve
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Post by btaylo24 »

Anybody getting a lot of shrubs in China Lake, bushes every where...
Barry
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

btaylo24 wrote:Anybody getting a lot of shrubs in China Lake, bushes every where...
Yep.
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Most of the time one will need an exclude builder. I have one but haven't used it yet since NAS Pax River in FSX had a similar issue with trees on the ramp. Just downloaded China Lake so I'll test it, one option I see since the AFD is an older AFCAD file, is to open it in ADEX and add the exclusion zone.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Corvette99
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Corvette99 »

If someone does a bush excluder for China Lake , I would love to get it also ! Help , bushes everywhere !
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

In FSX, all the NID AI waypoints will put 2000' holes in the scenery. Granted these are pretty small and most will never notice unless you fly to the point. I'm going to change the elevations to match FSX.

Also noticed besides the bushes everywhere, there are some elevation differences between stock FSX ground and the UAV runway and perimeter roads. You can also notice this with many AFCAD files from the "tower" (200'+ alt) view, an easy fix using AFCAD2.21.

I'm trying to fix the bush issue now, unless someone better at it does it first and will post them here.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
USNCapt2003
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by USNCapt2003 »

Hey Dustoff I also have bushes all over. What is this AFCAD I keep hearing about. Not the most up to date on all this any recomendations would be helpful
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Aye Capt, my little trick to fix the waypoints didn't work, brought the fake runway up to proper elevation, but I still have a hole underneath, again not a big deal as these are only for the AI to have a place to fly to.

Most that installed the NAS Lemoore package initially had bushes everywhere, the same exclusion box was made for that airfield file to be used sans bushes in FSX.

AFCAD2.21 by Lee S. is a program used to build/modify the airport file within FS9, the program does not work with FSX, that's were a few payware programs come in or just use the free ADE9X by ScruffyDuck, which works for both sims and has tons more functionality.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
USNCapt2003
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by USNCapt2003 »

Okay is it self explanatory for a non computer friendly like myself? Will it help eliminate the mountains that appear at El Centro and fix the runways from disappearing at Pensacola?
eli
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by eli »

Disappearing runways? Check the elevation of the airport using ADE (free) or AFX (pay).
I just had to fix the elevation at El Centro. Had aircraft taxying and parking 42' above the tarmack. Elevation at El Centro is 42' below sea level you know.
You won't be able to change mountains though.

Tom E.
USNCapt2003
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by USNCapt2003 »

Okay downloaded ADE and now I am lost on how or where to go to fix elevations please be patient as I am computer illiterate
postman41258

Post by postman41258 »

I was wondering if there was a way to fix the tree textures or delete them all together in the NAS Whidbey Island scenery. The tree textures have a square border around them that looks bad other wise I have no problem converting your sceneries to FSX.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

postman41258 wrote:I was wondering if there was a way to fix the tree textures or delete them all together in the NAS Whidbey Island scenery. The tree textures have a square border around them that looks bad other wise I have no problem converting your sceneries to FSX.
You'll probably need to invert white and black on the alpha channel of the tree textures.
postman41258

Post by postman41258 »

now that might be a little over my head. is there a way to delete the tree's from the scenery or is converting the textures easier?
teeboy
Cadet
Cadet

Post by teeboy »

Just added the Seymour Johnson V2 package to my somewhat large MAIW collection and have noticed that the F15E have black pylons and weapons. This is mostly conformal tank pylons, pods and bombs, external tanks and AIM9's are okay. The same thing is happening at Mountain Home and I hadnt noticed it before (does stand out a bit).

I assume I am missing a texture file somewhere - any idea which one?

This little prob aside the package works a treat in FSX. Just need some PNW/CRM style scenery to go with it....