The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Nellis Problem

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Nellis Problem

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Hi there,

Wonder if anyone can help with a wee problem I have with default Nellis.

Have attached screenshot and as you can see the user a/c (F-117) and the AI Aircraft are working at the correct altitude, but as you will also see, there is no sign of any runways, taxiways or aprons.

BTW Nearby Las Vegas (KLAS) displays no problems :?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Stew 8)

Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

Someone else who's got this problem!! Me to, as you, just can't work out whats gone wrong!!
As Stew say's, any suggestions?
Dave
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well guys, I have just looked and found there to be no problem and I have the default scenery and no Las Vegas addon either. Do you have any Vegas addon ?

Which afcad are you using ?, and the only other thing I can think of is mesh. If you have JABBgl, what height does it say the airfield is at, mine says 569.366m which is also the same height as my addon afcad.
Steve
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Steve,

Don't think I have any Vegas add-ons. My afcad (Dave O'Brien?) gave the height as 569.4, so I used JABBgl which as you said gave 569.366m, so I changed it to match the afcad, without any difference :(

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Stew,

Just to make doubly sure its not an afcad problem, this is the one I am using. I have no idea who the author is, and I am not saying that its better than the one you are using, just that it works. Try it and let me know if there is any change, also try the top down view to see if the runways etc are now visible.
Attachments
AF2_KLSV.zip
(16 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Steve
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Steve,

Thanks mate, afraid to say, same problem exists. Been back and forward through the system and I can see no sign of any Nevada or Vegas mesh files.

No idea what is causing this problem :?

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Stew

I had the same problem
It only went away when i reloaded fs9

sorry mate

you could try replacing the scenery files off the cd

Gary
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well Stew,
I am afraid that I am running out of ideas here. I am assuming that you are not using fs global or anything like that, and I assuming that you have been through the scenery.cfg file with a fine toothcomb.

It does sound like something is corrupted somewhere. The suggestion that Gary made is possibly the best way forward here, but I would like to suggest something of a trial. The reason being that I seem to remember that somebodies Hawaii scenery got screwed as well and had to re-install, this might provide a useful method of getting around it - if it works.

I will presume that before you start you will back up all the fs9 HD, or directories, and the cfg and saved flights. Once that has been done, it might be worth trying to delete the scnery.dat file in your fs9\scenery\Namw directory. My thinking is this. FS9 checks and rebuilds the scenery files, if necessary, each time it loads. If you delete that one entirely, maybe it will recreate it and solve your problem.

If that doesn't work then reinstall from scratch, and apply fs9.1, see if that works then copy all your backup files over the top and see if it still works.

Let us know how you get on, but I am hoping that the scenery.dat deletion works.
Steve
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi again Steve,

I did as you suggested but;

dat didn't work :lol: (couldn't resist)

Thanks for all the advice, I cannot understand how this is happening, however, I am not going to lose sleep over it, and I certainly don't fancy doing a complete re-install..........my nerves couldn't stand it.

Have Tonopah scenery, so I'll fly from there instead.

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sorry, it didn't work, Stew, but at least we have learnt something new - your puns are as bad as mine :) .

The complete re-install probably isn't as bad as you would think. You have all you cfg files and all your installations intact. A clean reinstall followed by a copy straight over the top from your backups should result in it being as good as new within two hours tops. I had to do it recently due to a corrupt c: drive. There will be somethings like FE and GE Pro etc. that will need reinstalling but probably not that much.

If I get a flash of inspiration however, I will let you know.
Steve
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

Stew the only thing I can think of is to remove all but the default FS scenery from the scenery.cfg, make a backup, and see if that works. If it does copy from your backup until you find the offending entry. Put half back in at a time, if you hit a problem take half of what you last put in until you fins it. You do not want to find it was in the second half.
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

chris_jephcott
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by chris_jephcott »

I had much the same problem with Edwards AFB for quite a while, until I then decided to reinstall FS onto this computer.

To this day, I still haven't sorted out what was wrong with it.

I tried various scenery files, AFCADs, scenery layerings... you name it... but still nothing - just a load of F16s, in the middle of the desert.

If anyone does find a cure or cause for this, I'll be interested to know
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi there,

Been a bit busy otherwise, but I am still working on this. Trying different altitude settings with JABbgl to see if I can find the airport facilities - go any further and Nellis will be manned by RAAF personnel :lol:

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Stewart Pearson wrote: - go any further and Nellis will be manned by RAAF personnel :lol:
*hehe* Seriously though, I hope you do find the solution.
Steve
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

It may well be an elevation issue. Usually those are the result of a mismatch between an added Mesh package and default or Addon scenery. My Nellis set is OK, but I had some major issues with Edwards.
While not the same, the process of fixing was explained very well for Edwards. This comes from a post to another bulletin board. HTH

If you have AFCAD you can find the code for Nellis in the Sim Scenery files, Probably namw and it will be APXXXXX. That is the default. Search with AFCAD and when you find it make the elevation adjustments and save the file to the APXXXX number. (BACKUP the original)/ That should keep the default from loading and set the Airport to the elevation you have in your adjusted AFCAD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dfiv3
Any news on why the scenery is messed up?

Here's the solution, cribbed from the readme in Dave O'Brien's Edwards AI package. (Also, make sure you're using Edwards version 1.01.)

...you will need to download this utility to drop the height of the default Edwards. Otherwise your AI will be floating off the ground.
JABBgl:
Used a little utility JABBGL (AVSIM) which can edit the elevation of the default KEDW (which the AI was reading). Edit to 694.250 (meters)
Filename fs9\scenery\namw\scenery\AP916190.bgl

Category: FS2004 Utilities
New! JABBgl
File Description:
BGL elevation editor. Allows to change elevations in basic scenery bgl files in order to avoid AI traffic to "float" over the ground or to "swimm" into it. (CK)

Filename: jabbgl.zip
License: Freeware, limited distribution
Added: 5th February 2004
Downloads: 52
Author: Jacky Brouze
Size: 449kb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Denny : Today at 01:37.
GZR_SACTARGETS
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

any find anything that works? i'm having the problem still after a fresh install of fs9 :(
scottr5213
Captain
Captain

Post by scottr5213 »

I downloaded the AFCD you listed and ran AFX on it found 14 faults and its showing an airport elevation of 1868 ft ASL I am not sure what that is in meters, but if theres anything I can do to help let me know
djnocturnal
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by djnocturnal »

scottr5213 wrote:I downloaded the AFCD you listed and ran AFX on it found 14 faults and its showing an airport elevation of 1868 ft ASL I am not sure what that is in meters, but if theres anything I can do to help let me know
thats the same as the stock one, i can't get either to show.
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

I checked mine and do not have a separate AFCAD. I am running the Alphasim Nellis package. :cry:
GZR_SACTARGETS
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

djnocturnal wrote:
scottr5213 wrote:I downloaded the AFCD you listed and ran AFX on it found 14 faults and its showing an airport elevation of 1868 ft ASL I am not sure what that is in meters, but if theres anything I can do to help let me know
thats the same as the stock one, i can't get either to show.
alternative 1--You might try creating a separate folder for Nellis wherever you store addon scenery (I keep mine in an external file). Put the AFCAD in the scenery folder and then activate it. The 14 faults are not necessarily a problem. Depends on what they are. Sometimes unconnected nodes, etc are present but don't have any real effect.

Alternative 2.I have also found that sometimes the stock .bgl will interfere. The fix for that is to take the AFCAD you want to use and then save it with the same ID as the stock in the Scenery/namw folder. SAVE THE STOCK file FIRST!!
The stock file for Nellis is in Scenery/namw and is named AP917190.bgl
Open the file you are trying to load in AFCAD then use 'save as' to go to Scenery/namw change the name from AF2_KLSV to 'AP917190.bgl' and save. That may correct your problem if it is interference. HTH
GZR_SACTARGETS