The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Support archive for MAIW Packages in FSX

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Support for MAIW Packages in FSX

Post by Victory103 »

You are missing a texture, and you also reminded me I had the same issue and have yet to track down which file it is. Same thing, but my conformal pylons have master painter Graham King's website and are white. All my MO/SJ/WA Mud Hens display the same.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The weapons texture is separate and not included in each aircraft scheme. If you do a manual install, to a temp folder somewhere, then you will find that the installation has 6 folders. One of which is 'Texture' this is the global texture folder. it contains two textures one of which is 'NBAI_Weapons.bmp' and that needs to be in your global texture folder.
Steve
teeboy
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by teeboy »

Excellent - that fixed it! I must have needed a grown up to do the job (definitely not me)! I think I decided that the Mountain home package I put on a couple of months ago had already added them in :oops:

Thank you very much guys...
CelticWarrior
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by CelticWarrior »

I seem to remember there being advice somewhere not to place textures in a global texture folder, but installed into individual aircraft texture folders in order to improve loading times/stutters, etc.

On the other hand, I might have missed the point entirely. :lol:
"We attack tomorrow under cover of daylight! It's the last thing they'll be expecting ... a daylight charge across the minefield .."
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Since this is a manual FSX install, I went back and checked on the NBAI_Weapons.bmp and moved it to the main Texture folder. As you can see weapons are fine, just the pylons:
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

If I am right in thinking, there were two weapons textures initially - the first came out with the first release of the F-15 model, and I think the second was with one of the Mirage packs, not a 100% certain, but I seem to remember having this problem myself. The first had been added to, hence if the first was used later, you had the funny textures as you are showing....I might just have got my knickers in a twist here but I think I know what I mean....... :roll:
USNCapt2003
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by USNCapt2003 »

Hello all I have a question which I cant seem to find a answer to. Can someone please tell me how to add sounds to the ai aircraft
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

The easy way is to make a copy of your "soundai" folder found in the default aircraft. For example, for jet sounds copy the "soundai" folder from the B747. It's sound for AI is alias to the stock B737. For any jet AI, just paste this folder in each AI that you want to have sound.

The other way is to download new AI sounds, a benefit of FSX over FS9. I got some from Avsim that replaced all the stock generic sounds, I need to adjust them as they are slightly too loud. My large AI turboprops (C-130) don't sound like the King Air anymore.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
warhawk121
Cadet
Cadet

Post by warhawk121 »

Hi guys run into a bit of a snag with the CFB Comox package into FSX, installed the package fine but when it came to loading into the airfield it seems to have half "submerged" into the surrounding terrain. I have adjusted the terrain sliders figuring that it might be some sort of terrain issue, but it only seems to remove part of the covering terrain or submerges the rest of the airfield completely. is there a conflict somewhere? i am funning FSX with the default terrain mesh.

any help would be breatly appreciated.

Pete
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Pete, just did an online x-country and stopped for gas at CFB Comox to check up on the AI. No issues with FSX, I'm running completely stock in that area. The AFD file is an AF2, and these in my experience have shown the biggest differences in elevation between FS9 and X. Most of the time I use AFCAD2.21 and change the elevation to allow it to work in FSX.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
USNCapt2003
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by USNCapt2003 »

Hello here I am again. I have spent three days trying to find the fix to the jolly rogers texture fix in fsx. I have the aircraft but they are all black. Can someone tell me how to fix this in the simplest terms thank you.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Capt,
I thought I had this one licked, but now it seems to be random. At NTU I could scan the ramp and some would be black and some were fine. Recently I downloaded one of djnocturnals new VAQ Growler paints and went over to NUW to check it out. Sure enough, initially most of the Growlers were black, I flew away and came back in for the break, no more black??? I'm thinking it's an FSX texture load or a graphics card issue. Time of day does NOT seem to change anything.

So, at least make sure DX10 preview in your options is "unchecked".
Again, any white models are generally a missing texture.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
warhawk121
Cadet
Cadet

Post by warhawk121 »

Hi Victory thanks for the reply i'll give it a try. see how it pans out. and post back with the results...:)

Pete
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

billby wrote:Thank you,
Brillant, that fixed the Apaches any ideas on the F15's?

Is the a hidden AFCAD for EGVP apart from MAIW_AF2_EGVP_DEFAULT.BGL what could be set at a different height causeing the underground Apaches ?
I have tried using Airport Scanner but that found nothing.

Dave
I also have been wrestling with this problem. There are two AFCADs at this airfield, it appears -- EVGP and 1GVP.

Using Airport Design Editor I was able to add a background terrain poly and flatten the area out, for the most part. Still don't have it 100% flattened, but it is definately way better than what I had.

EDIT: the really hellacious monster is that German seaking base at EDHK. I'm afraid I just don't have the ADE skills to conquer that bad boy.
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Let me add here that I have pretty much all the MAIW packages installed and working in FSX. Martin's installation manual helped sort out a lot of mistakes I was making -- the more I went thru that manual the more problems I discovered, but most of it was just duplicated AFCADs, missing textures, and a bunch of weeds growing on aprons and taxiways -- was able to fix most of it.

I think it is a testiment to the quality of these packages that FSX users go to this much trouble to get them sorted and working. The detail that goes into many of these packages is just astounding. Thanks to all that contribute so much time.

Ripcord
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Hello

Yeah most packages can be fixed up easy. Just need to ensure the guys make their models FSX compatible.
Some of the A/C act strange in FSX, airbreak on take off, Apache's LOD not correct etc.

Hopefully one day they will go and fix em up.
Barry
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

btaylo24 wrote:Hello

Yeah most packages can be fixed up easy. Just need to ensure the guys make their models FSX compatible.
Some of the A/C act strange in FSX, airbreak on take off, Apache's LOD not correct etc.

Hopefully one day they will go and fix em up.
I have had no problem at all with their AI aircraft, actually. In a few places they don't show up, but even that hasn't been a huge problem.

For me I get airfields with no hangars or buildings -- this is rampant -- and I mentioned EGVP and EDHK are just disaster areas.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Middle Wallop is problematic even in FS9. if you read the doc supplied with the package you will see that there is a scenery bgl patch included.

If I read the problem correctly, not guaranteed, the problem was that the actual height of Middle Wallop is not the same as the default scenery in FS9. When this happens the original builtin afcad still affects the scenery. to fix it you need to use something like jabbgl to alter the height of the original. Later tools such as ADE will create new height files which mean that you can over come this issue.

I am guessing that the default FSX scenery may again not be correct, causing a similar problem but you won't be able to use the FS9 patch to fix it.
Steve
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Gents, I am hoping this might be an easy one, but it is eluding me.

I have a number of bases where there are no buildings. Navy/USMC Bases -- KNTU, KNFW, KNGP, KNKX, KNQX, KNSE, KNBG & KNIP. I was unable to locate any placement files or object files or anything in the download packages.

I have been installing all my scenery -- up to and including the Nellis AFB package -- in MAIW Airport and MAIW Scenery folders (and of course MAIW Landclass and MAIW Exclusions) as per the MAIW for FSX instruction. I have been over and over that manual, checking every last file. Have also scanned for duplicate airport files using the FAS scanner tool -- again per the instructions.

KNLC is fine, as is KNJK and KNID. And same goes for KNHK. These I still have in their own individual MAIW scenery folders, eg., MAIW NAS Lemoore V2.

So I am wondering -- is that part of the problem, not having them separated out and activated in their own separate folders? I had followed the instructions to the letter and Martin said we are better off combining them into a single MAIW Airport folder.

Or is just a function of missing some textures or something my MAIW scenery (library objects) file? Why don't these airports come with scenery files?

...or is that these package just don't include hangars/buildings?

Any advice you could provide is helpful.... the problem isn't limited to navy/usmc air stations, I see this a lot on air force bases as well.

Ripcord

EDIT: I am running UTX in FSX Acceleration.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

One thing about our packages. A decision was taken right at the beginning of the org was not to supply afcads for each place aircraft from a package as it would take too long to create packages.
By the same token we don't have scenery upgrades for all the places that our aircraft use.

KNFW is a case in point we haven't, as yet, released any scenery update for it. KNQX scenery is included as part of our recent VFA-106 Gladiators package. A very full scenery designed by the most excellent John Stinstrom. It might be worth double checking that you have that scenery installed.

Now on adding scenery there is more than one way to do it, like most things in life. What we try to do is make our instructions as fool proof and as simple as possible, so we separate individual installations. However, you are 100% correct in that as long as you have a global MAIW Addon Scenery folder added correctly then any scenery bgls and bmps that you add to that global location will work.

So after checking that the bgls are there it might be worth checking that there are no exclude files for KNQX higher up the pecking order. If there are then it will exclude scenery from a lower priority.
I could go onto a topic of which is the correct way of organizing your priority order but the simple answer is that no way is perfect and no way is without traps for the unwary. The way we describe in our package docs is seen as the least problematic for most people.

On to why some places don't have addon scenery is simply that we haven't gotten around to them. If you look at our earliest offerings they had afcads only and relied on default scenery. Later on we occasionally had quality full scenery from people like John and Rocket included. We realised, as did they, that there just isn't enough time to do full scenery. We we did hit on was our addon library system that allows scenery upgrades to be done fairly quickly. These days it is rare not to find at least one scenery upgrade included, however this still relies upon is people to produce them.
However, the original premise still lives on. If we can't produce afcads for every flight then we obviously aren't going to produce scenery for every base we visit. If there was a package based upon NAS Fort Worth, for instance, then there is a every chance that we would include at least a scenery upgrade.

Hopefully this answers your questions.
Steve