The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FS9 - Multiple Install

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

FS9 - Multiple Install

Post by Stewart Pearson »

As some may know I have recently installed a second FS9 for "retro" projects. I've had a couple of PMs asking how to do it, so reckoned this would be the best way to detail the process.

Please note - this may not be the best way, the right way or the wrong way, but it works for me. :D

Step 1. Copy your FS9 cfg (Documents & Settings/Computer/Application Data/Microsoft/FS9 - or however your set-up is). Paste it somewhere safe. (It's a back-up in case things go wrong)

Step 2. In the main Flight Sim folder, find the FS9.exe and rename it to something like FS9.orig. You need to carry out this step, otherwise when you put Disc 1 in, it will be looking to uninstall/repair your existing sim

Step 3. Install the game to whatever location suits you. Once it's installed don't run it right away. Enter the main folder (like before) of the new copy rename the FS9.exe (I use FS9.Retro) At this point I created a desktop icon from the exe so that I have Flight Simulator 2004 and FS9.Retro icons.

Step 4. Run your new install and make changes to the settings etc once it has started. Once complete exit the game.

Step 5. Go back into you Doc Setting etc folder and check. You should hopefully have 2 cfg files (FS9 and whatever your new copy is called) You can now rename the original exe back to FS9 (i.e. remove the orig bit)

Step 6. Install your scenery/aircraft as per usual. You can indeed install scenery into your new set-up from the old version. I decided to just keep everything separate.

Step 7. In order to use afcad/evp etc to make changes in your new set-up there's a couple of things you need to do. You will find FS.Registry Repair attached in a zip to this post. To change between old and new you need to again change the exe file names - this time renaming your new install to FS9.exe. Once done use the Registry Repair tool to tell your PC where the new FS9 is.

I always change the names back when I have completed any changes again using the repair tool.

As I say it's only the way I have found to do things - and believe me I have screwed up several times.

Any questions, just post them here.
Attachments
FS Registry Repair.zip
(9.04 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Re: FS9 - Multiple Install

Post by delbydoo »

If I need to use certain tools that depend on the registry setting, I.e. scanafd, I use the ADE9 environment checker. This asks you for your default FS9 location, and change it as and when necessary. I have three setups, MAIW, retro and civil. Not had any problems with it so far.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

delbydoo wrote:If I need to use certain tools that depend on the registry setting, I.e. scanafd, I use the ADE9 environment checker. This asks you for your default FS9 location, and change it as and when necessary. I have three setups, MAIW, retro and civil. Not had any problems with it so far.
I just knew if I made a thread about this, someone would have a better way of doing things. :smt005
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

Hi Stew,

What about other pieces of software like REX and other addons, can they be done the same?

Cheers
:smt006
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

No actual knowledge mate, but as long as your machine knows which FS9 your aiming at then you should be able to use these add-ons okay.
Stew

jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Solved a lot of multiple FS9 installation problems by using fs9tool.exe found at http://flightsim.apollo3.com, prior to installing.

Lets you choose which installation you want to install to.

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

Stew
I just placed FS9 in 3 spots
My primary one - on C drive in program files(X86) in the Microsoft Games folder
Retro Military also on C drive in Program Files(X86) .This one was copied from an external drive and pasted there manually .
and Retro Civilian on D drive .
The last two I just created a shortcut to them and click on the needed shortcut accordingly . If any files need to be placed in the Retro FS9's i just point them to that installation
All 3 work fine , however, I'll be combining ( When I gets time )the two retro's into one on the D drive .
I'm not sure if creating the shortcut helps but it works for moi
Cheers
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

That's more or less how I've done it, except I'm on three separate HD's; it just means that all three will use the same FS9.cfg file, so all three will start up the same way.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

I have gone another way entirely

Main PC:

Got just about everything stuffed on it
MAIW/WOAI/PAI/AIG + All sorts of other AI A/C
About 700+ different scenery's
200+ user A/C

Old PC:
This is going to be my retro setup
(When I get around to it) :smt102

Laptop:
A bare setup for Testing/Creating my own bits of AFCAD/ADE/AFX
Also has a fairly bare FSX install on it.

NAS Box:
carries a backup of each PC which I update monthly.

The last time I did a complete re-install of my main FS rig it took me nearly
3 months to get it back to how I wanted it with all the bits&bobs I had
accumulated over the years. I really don't want to go through that again.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!