The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Avro Vulcan JY_AI

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Avro Vulcan JY_AI

Post by John Young »

Here’s early notice of my new project so that I can check whether the models I have in mind are what people want. It’s an Avro Vulcan B2 for FS9 and FSX.

I have the first LOD Gmax construction almost done (just the drag chute to add):

The model features animated spoilers that I’ll set as flaps so they are extended on approach, heel down main bogies, an animated crew door with extending ladder and a flip up drag chute faring. This first model is based on XH558 (Vulcan To The Sky airworthy aircraft) but has a Blue Steel stand-off missile beneath the fuselage for use on an alternative model. I’ll include a paint kit as usual, but I plan to produce and paint:

- XH558 (wrap around camo)

- 8 individual Vulcans each of 9, 44, 50 and 101 Squadrons, circa 1977 (grey/green camo upper surfaces, light grey underside and red/blue roundels). These are to go with my existing FS9 and FSX RAF Waddington retro scenery to replace the less detailed UKMIL models.

- A single B2 in (grey/green camo upper surfaces, light grey underside with high viz roundels).

- A single B2 in anti-flash white

- Options for a Blue Steel load-out and tail Radar Warning Receiver/nose refuelling probe as appropriate.

Mike M has already been helping me find some dirty smoke for take-off and there is a really loud sound pack under development by Steve (inny) over at ACG.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Avro Vulcan JY_AI

Post by bismarck »

Great news John, the Vulcan was my first choice when you asked about a new project for a retro aircraft to work to. :smt003

Giorgio
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Bl**dy smart! Really good looking model there.

Was hoping that a K.2 might find its way in there but I am certainly not going to complain if it doesn't.

Nice work, john.
Steve
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

That looks awsome, I can't stop dribbling :lol: Is there any chance of the refueling version as well please?

Kind Regards
Dale
:smt006
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
sr01
Major
Major

Post by sr01 »

More fantastic news from JY Aviation Co. Inc. :-)
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

One of my favorites. will now cross off my santas wish list :D :D

Thanks John
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes I can do the K2 refueller. There were 6 of them converted I believe and they operated with a single hose housed in a "box" under the tail cone:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16171581@N06/5349374460/

It looks like this was a permanent fixture, unlike the retractable one in the Victor. I'll also make one with a hose and drogue at 20,000ft again.

John
AndyG43
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AndyG43 »

Another winner John, looking forward to it. Dare I ask if you have the Mk 1 under consideration as well? I appreciate that the wings/engine intakes are very different, so would guess it to be too much work to reverse engineer.
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

great stuff John, can't beat a good bit of retro... :D
Time travel does exist, i just discovered it next week...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Andy, I'll pass on the Mk1 if you don't mind. It's not just one additional model, it's probably 7 LODs = 7 models x 2 for FS9 and FSX = 14 additional models. If the intakes are really different (haven't studied them), that would mean new wings and a fresh Boolean cut-out. Not the easiest of things to do. If it's new wings, then it's fesh wheel wells and spoiler housings. It's a lot of work.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

John Young wrote:Yes I can do the K2 refueller. There were 6 of them converted I believe and they operated with a single hose housed in a "box" under the tail cone:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16171581@N06/5349374460/

It looks like this was a permanent fixture, unlike the retractable one in the Victor. I'll also make one with a hose and drogue at 20,000ft again.

John
Perfectly correct, John. On both counts.

I believe that these were the serials, although somebody might want to check this
XH558
XH560
XH561
XL445
XJ825
XM571
Steve
AndyG43
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by AndyG43 »

John Young wrote:Andy, I'll pass on the Mk1 if you don't mind. It's not just one additional model, it's probably 7 LODs = 7 models x 2 for FS9 and FSX = 14 additional models. If the intakes are really different (haven't studied them), that would mean new wings and a fresh Boolean cut-out. Not the easiest of things to do. If it's new wings, then it's fesh wheel wells and spoiler housings. It's a lot of work.

John
John, that is what I figured, a massive amount of work. I shall be exceedingly happy to see your Mk 2's in sim, will fit neatly into my rapidly expanding retro setup. And, once again, thank you for all of your excellent models.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

We have all been really spoiled this year!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

MIKE JG wrote:We have all been really spoiled this year!
I know......and christmas hasn't been yet :lol: Just kidding.

John, this really was a nice surprise. Really at a loss for words that describe how grateful I am for the skills and patience of everybody that has contributed this year. For a motley crue of misfits and vagabonds, I don't think we do too badly. The retro scene has exploded beyond all bounds - and thanks to Messrs Young and Pearson, it's about to go thermonuclear. :smt066 Thanks everyone.
Bora

Post by Bora »

Very nice suprise indeed ! :D

Looking forward to this one again... :smt023
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

There is also the S2 version of 27 sqn?

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I could do the S2 (MRR) Gary, but do you really want it? The only difference that I can see from a normal 27 Sqn B2 are the two "sniffer" pods under the wings and not all of the 9 aircraft carried those.

John
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

John Young wrote:I could do the S2 (MRR) Gary, but do you really want it? The only difference that I can see from a normal 27 Sqn B2 are the two "sniffer" pods under the wings and not all of the 9 aircraft carried those.

John
I dont think they had the TFR on the nose either

Good story about 27 at Scampton supposedly the 617 crews arrived at work one day to find a big area of grass fenced off outside the hanger
When questioned why some witty chap said it was where they had buried their elephant
(direct reference to the grave of Guy Gibsons dog (name not mentioned to be PC)) which is still there today.

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Oh yes! I'll be setting up a FS9 Retro version at this rate. Love the 1960s RAF
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Okay dokey who's going to do the plans etc for Operation Black Buck?

2 x Vulcans and 18 Victors - mass launch!!!! :twisted:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."