The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Harrier GR3 and T4

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Harrier GR3 and T4

Post by John Young »

I wasn't too sure about having a go at an AI Harrier because of the shape and flight dynamics, but my good friend Manfred over at ACG was really keen to have some for his upcoming and really quite outstanding scenery of RAF Gutersloh, circa 1989. I'm really glad I did, because the result is much better than I was expecting. The difficult part was the texture mapping, applied in 3 directions, top, bottom and sides. Matching everything up to get the wrap around camouflage took some time and patience. Here's the result so far - just single LOD FS9 models at this stage:

I'm really grateful to Mike M and Nick Black for allowing me to use their GR9 STOL flight dynamics, that are really quite realistic. Nick too has supplied me with some good xml code to animate the nozzles and to have the flaps down for take-off. I also have the xml code to make the Harrier take off vertically, by triggering the event when the engine reaches full power on take-off. It works very well indeed, but because the aircraft doesn't use full power on landing, it resorts to a conventional short one. An overshoot is a bit surprising too. I've also learned a bit more about gear compression this time around and have managed to get that classic Harrier "nod" when the brakes come on.

While Manfred is testing the initial models, I'll also make a Sea Harrier and a black Royal Navy version of the T4. Once that's done, I'll add the LODs and do the FSX conversions.

John
fishlips

Re: Harrier GR3 and T4

Post by fishlips »

That's a really cool model, be great to see it in VTOL. I'm a big fan of this aircraft.
Another nicely made model John, your getting fab at it and really quick too.
cheer's,
Mark
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by delbydoo »

John you have just made my christmas card list - this was THE one version of the Harrier that I have (and I'm sure a lot of others) have been waiting for. The RAF FJ force of the last 40 years has just been made complete. Thank you so much for this. :D
Chrisb
Major
Major

Post by Chrisb »

You beauty John. What a wonderful surprise.

Chris
ardethomas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by ardethomas »

Oh my God, wow!!!
Thank you!!!
:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

That's the cat's ass.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

It's also the dog's bollocks. :smt005

Great work John, much appreciated.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Not sure what is more extraordinary, John. The way your models capture heart and soul of the real aircraft or how short the cycle has become from the first announcement to the result. It is simply outstanding. Thank you for another one.
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Outstanding model, I find it hard to actually believe it's just an AI model, well done sir!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

I am truly grateful that John answered my desire - after that long time ago I annoyed him again and yet again :smt041 Sorry for that, but the result speaks for itself. This wealth of detail is unbelievable, John shows that he is an adept in building AI aircrafts meanwhile.

Now seeing these lovely birds landing soon at RAF Gütersloh at the 3rd and 4th Sqn will complete the scenery and makes my dream come true - Bringing lots of memories into life and now - finally - with the jets which simply belongs to this airfield in the 80s.

Thank you so much, John - not just for another great aircraft but for the most important aircraft in my life :smt001

Oh - and that's the scenery we are talking about:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/newforum ... =9&t=12868
Regards, Manfred.
Sonarboy
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Sonarboy »

Once again well done John. You have captured this bird beautifully. What a fantastic addition to the JY stable. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Brian
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Awesome work both of you on an amazing project.

John will you be getting AI sounds in FSX for this?

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Nick and again with your help with the xml coding. An FSX sound pack would be great. I know Steve (inny) was part way through one last year. I'll drop him a message to see what the prospects are.

John
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Keep that up and I'll be very happy to let the F-35 and any other AI on my drawing board go into retro. A very very nice job indeed!
Mark G
jaguar1
Captain
Captain

Post by jaguar1 »

Wow! Great looking model John, have you given any thought of painting this bird? The most advanced harrier of them all. Sadly she was retired in 2009 after many years as an active testbed.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

John doesn't have to paint every Harrier ever built. We have to let the painters have some fun. :)
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Firebird wrote:John doesn't have to paint every Harrier ever built. We have to let the painters have some fun. :)
And there are soooo many talented artists here! Good opportunity to say a big 'thank you' to the combined paint department :smt006
Cheers,
Martin

Post by Bora »

Nice suprise indeed and again a great looking model !!

Like the shots with winter camo and the refueling probe ! Will be a great match with the Gütersloh scenery...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

jaguar1 wrote:Wow! Great looking model John, have you given any thought of painting this bird? The most advanced harrier of them all. Sadly she was retired in 2009 after many years as an active testbed.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true
Yes I have thought about that one. The T4 especially, has been a pig to map the textures to and it works fine for the wrap around camo. It's that diagonal red stripe that worries me. I think leaving some opportunities for the painters to follow up is good. I'll perhaps first test the mapping to see if "Raspberry Ripple" will work. Trouble is, once I start, I might just carry on and finish it.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Again JY has done dogs dangly bits !!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy