The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

AI BlackHawk

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Re: AI BlackHawk

Post by mikewmac »

WOW! That is looking fantastic John! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I could probably do a standard Black Hawk for about 7000 polygons (FS9 and FSX) if that would be useful.
A standard JYAI Blackhawk would also be much used and appreciated. :smt023
    Mike M.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Gary, yes both the FS9 and FSX versions will have the xml animation that Kevin has developed. I know the lift code works in FSX, but I might need some further help with the door code (AI_canopy) to use a variable or timer other than the Nav light, which doesn't behave in FSX like the FS9 Nav light timing-wise. I'll raise that in the Staff/Contributor section if I need to, after I have the FS9 version textured and the full set of LODs made.

Lewis and Mike, I'll gladly make the Black Hawk as well.

Now to design the texture sheet and do the mapping.......

John
    lewis
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: FS9

Post by lewis »

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038
    clickclickdoh
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

:shock:

I'm suddenly contemplating trying to repaint all the JFAI blackhawks out there.. :smt010 Users may have to put up with having 2 AI UH-60 models in the sim for a while until that gets straightened out.

Perhaps I'll cycle that next 100 blackhawk project behind some more AH-64s and CH-47s...
    MIKE JG
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

As John Y has said, it's not the polys that kill the models, it's the draw calls. When you see complex scenery or aircraft in game, the un-colored model/s are always there already drawn by the game, especially with scenery. If you have a lower end system like I've always had you get to sit there and watch the models eventually get their colors added to them. That's the hardest part for the hardware to crunch.

One advantage I can think of for FSX is that you could use a 2048x2048 sheet correct, or is that only for scenery?? Might be able to squeeze more onto that size sheet than you could a 1024x1024 sheet.

Either way an AI UH-60 is going to make a lot of people very happy around here, especially being a FS9/FSX native model.

John Y. you realize these guys are going to want EVERY H-60 version now right?? :smt003 :smt003

Gotta have those Coast Guard JayHawks! :smt003
    -Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
    JohnTenn
    Major
    Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Great work John.

That looks impressive. Great skill.

John
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'll give it a go Mike. Fiddling with sticky out bits and textures in the different models is OK, but I'd rather avoid having to change the fuselage shape significantly, particularly after the Pave Hawk LODs are done. I haven't really researched Black Hawks yet, so I'm not yet clear what's involved.

I've been tempted to use a 2048 x 2048 texture sheet in an AI aircraft. We use them a lot over at ACG for high definition scenery, especially ground. I do make my 24 bit master texture in 2048 size for AI aircraft and then reduce it to 1024 before converting to .dds. That gives a better result for things like small text and badging, rather than working from the outset with a 1024 sheet. I'm not sure 2048 dxt is really necessary though for AI aircraft. The graphics quality in FSX is better than in FS9 because there are so many additional variables that can be tweaked, particularly with reflection and transparency and the availability of Dxt5.

Just out of interest, here's something I did last week for the memorial aircraft in Ian's FSX Lakenheath:

The textures are on each aircraft are 1024 x 1024 and really don't need anything bigger. I wouldn't be able to achieve quite that standard in FS9. There are only 2 parts in each aircraft model - the airframe and the glass transparency/reflection - so the opportunity to reduce draw calls with a single 2048 x 2048 sheet is very limited too. Same with AI aircraft - it's not the texture that reduces the draw calls because there is generally only one sheet, it's the number of unattached parts.

John
    jaguar1
    Captain
    Captain

Post by jaguar1 »

:shock:
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The Pave Hawks are done for both sim versions. Here they are operating from Ian McCartney's in progress FSX RAF Lakenheath in the UK (6 aircraft):

The FS9 aircraft will also work with the current MAIW Lakenheath scenery with a supplementary AFCAD I've produced.

With the Paves done, I can now make a start to convert the models to various examples in the Black Hawk family. Because the subject is quite huge, I'd rather like to know before hand what users here might like, rather than second guess that and have to make changes when everything is done.

I can't obviously do everything, but I'll try and do 6 or 7 models in addition to the Paves. Bear in mind 5 of the 7 LODs are individual to each model and that's x 2 for FS9 and FSX. So that's 70 model changes for 7 models. My brain will go into overload with much more than that. Fortunately, I have some help in the Paint Department, so scheme varieties are a bit more flexible.

I've done a bit of research and my short list at the moment is:

UH60A (oval exhaust)
    UH60L (slotted exhaust)
    UH60M (top vented exhaust)
    UH60J with upswept stub wings and tanks
    SH60R Strike Hawk (Navy)
    MH60T (Coastguard)
    VH60 (Presidential)

I'll try and give priority to those here who have an affinity with the Black Hawk family and would like to see a particular model or paint scheme - perhaps of a unit the user has served in. I may have to ask you for a few reference photos I can work from.

In the meantime, I'll press on with some preparatory work......

John
    jimrodger
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Requesting permission to say a loud hurrah ( and maybe just a wee swear word in awe!!)

Jim
    "When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
    halcon501

Post by halcon501 »

So is this real...or I am dreaming...great and fantastic work mate ...as always ;)
    BadPvtDan
    MAIW Staff
    MAIW Staff
    Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Pretty amazing after all this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
    Bosshogg
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Bosshogg »

WOW!
    TheFoufure
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Great !!!! Amazing !!!

Very impatient !!

Good work. and many thanks for your work for the fs anthousiast community !!!
    TheFoufure
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

I hope you will include a similar XML code like the one in Nick Black AH-64, for pseudo vertical take-off, and elevated taxi.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Screen shot 2 is the vertical take-off and nose down tilt triggered in the model by xml code, similar to Nick's. Elevated taxi is good for skid configured helicopters. It's not really needed for those with wheels. I don't think we've cracked xml for skids in any case.
    petebramley
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

John

I will be happy to take anything your kind hand offers !!!!

They look great :D :D :D
    Pete B
    Retired and busier than ever !!
    reconmercs
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :smt026 :smt038 :smt081 Heart. CAN'T. TAKE. IT!!!!

WAITED. SO. LONG. FOR. BLACKHAWK!!!!
    jetmax
    Major
    Major

Post by jetmax »

Simply Beautiful.
    Scott "Jetmax" Jones
    The Virtual Air National Guard
    Ask me how to join....
    http://www.flyvang.org/