The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Windows 10

Post by VulcanDriver »

I backed all my data on to my D drive so I will do a clean install on C. I've put the PC into a clean boot state and turned of my anti-virus software as that can also confuse the W10 installation. Only thing left connected is the D drive so if it fails this time I'll disconnect that. Also read that it's a good idea to unplug the PC from the Net after its downloaded all the files prior to the actual upgrade process. I'm going to try that too. Will report back later.

These might be of use. W10 error codes

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... windows-10
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

After another failed attempt I got 0xC1900101-0x20017 error. MS says its because my ASUS Gladiator machine is running a non-supported AMD Phenom 4 64bit chipset. Looks like I'm on Windows 7 for now.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

Weird!
Assuming yours is the 800 series chipset.....
AMD has drivers that support Windows 7/8/8.1 and 10

Edit - download and run cpu-z and attach a screenshot of the cpu info.

Also check for a bios update from the motherboard manufacturer.
My eldest needed a bios update for windows 10.

My 7 year old laptop is allegedly Windows 10 capable, trying in later this week.

You have me worried about my main computer which has an AMD x6 1100T in it!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Kevin

Here are the details
CPU AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core (2.3GHz)
Motherboard Foxconn A7VMX-K
Chipset AMD 780V + SB700
4Gb RAM

It's an Advent Centurion gaming tower not as I said in my earlier post. It must be old age.
John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Did a quick check....

The cpu supports everything that is need.
AMD has Windows 10 drivers for the 700 series chipset.

Check your bios and make sure the option for data execution prevention is turned on.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Kevin will do that tomorrow.

Cheers
John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Just to see......

I went ahead and tried the upgrade on my 7 - 8 year old laptop (Acer 9410).

Turned off anti virus and wireless.
Stock apart from an SSD in place of the mechanical HD.

Windows 10 32-bit (laptop only supports 4Gb memory max) installed without an issue.
Even all the Acer utilities work!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Weescotty wrote:Did a quick check....

The cpu supports everything that is need.
AMD has Windows 10 drivers for the 700 series chipset.

Check your bios and make sure the option for data execution prevention is turned on.
Can't find the data execution prevention option in my BIOS.

Edit: ran a check using Windows 7 wmic command and found it its enabled in the hardware at policy level 2
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Weescotty wrote:Just to see......

I went ahead and tried the upgrade on my 7 - 8 year old laptop (Acer 9410).

Turned off anti virus and wireless.
Stock apart from an SSD in place of the mechanical HD.

Windows 10 32-bit (laptop only supports 4Gb memory max) installed without an issue.
Even all the Acer utilities work!
Did you disconnect any USB devices before the update?

I've downloaded the recommended AMD drivers via the MS Windows 10 website. Seems they updated the graphic card drivers and that was it.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

After doing the driver update etc. It still failed after the reboot with same error code and the message that it failed at the SAFE_OS stage. Two days wasted, so I'm sticking with Windows 7. MS have said that they know of install problems with older 64-bit CPUs and that they are working on a fix. So I'll wait until I get a notification.

Need to get FS9 working again now :shock:
John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Well at least I can give you some good news....
FSDS seems to work perfectly on Windows 10 32 bit, so really no reason it shouldn't work on the 64 bit version.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

That is good news. One thing the new chipset drivers has done is to increase the definition of my monitor. I'd be interested to see what the fps is in FS9.

Edit: Well its made a big difference. With everything turned up to the Max, FPS is a solid 60 (unlimited FPS) using photorealistic scenery with high detailed airports and the start up time is 100% quicker than before. Oh and no scenery jitters when flying. At this rate I may keep Win7 :D
John

BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Another thing I'm reading is that if you cut the head off a chicken, pour its blood all over your naked body, and wrap the CPU fan in entrails...the install may run fine. But this is only for people in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

I'm gonna let you guys over the pond do all the guinea pig work and find all the pitfalls. Then when I get around to installing
it should be all sweetness & light (Oh hang on its Microsoft were on about here innit) Doon Doom Doom :D :D :D
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Well it gave me the chance to clear all the crap out of my PC. So its not all bad!!
John

campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

VulcanDriver wrote:That is good news. One thing the new chipset drivers has done is to increase the definition of my monitor. I'd be interested to see what the fps is in FS9.

Edit: Well its made a big difference. With everything turned up to the Max, FPS is a solid 60 (unlimited FPS) using photorealistic scenery with high detailed airports and the start up time is 100% quicker than before. Oh and no scenery jitters when flying. At this rate I may keep Win7 :D
John, where did you find the chipset updates, I have a similar Advent also?
Mark
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

My god it worked

2 PC's upgraded yesterday and only 1 small problem with an Ethernet adapter. FS9 and all the bolt-on's
seem to be fine (touch wood).
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

campbeme wrote:
VulcanDriver wrote:That is good news. One thing the new chipset drivers has done is to increase the definition of my monitor. I'd be interested to see what the fps is in FS9.

John, where did you find the chipset updates, I have a similar Advent also?
I found them on http://www.amd.com/en-gb

Cheers
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I had a helluva nasty shock today.

As I stated earlier I had to buy two new SSDs so that I would 20GB available on each for the '10 upgrade.
The first one, for the Missus (well never do your own first), went smoothly. Attached it externally to a USB port and using the Samsung software I cloned the drive. Afterwards, swapped the 60GB drive out and put the 250GB in. The reboot went well and it started that the drive was now installed and to reboot. This went well.

Then my one. I did the same thing and yet on startup it took 90mins to boot I got loads of errors, things not found etc. So went back to the original disk and the same thing occurred.
After a long story, I noticed that it started doing a chkdisk on the X: drive, where FSX would be, and it was finding errors all over the place and started deleting stuff. It turns out that the drive cable to my HD was actually broken and so can't be held in place correctly. Opening the case made it not connect properly. After the connection was made as good as possible, I re-cloned the SSD and tried again. This time Bootmgr is missing came up and it wouldn't boot, neither would it on the original disk.
Searched the internet, tried using the free Partition Magic Boot iso but it seemed to make no difference. Then read the next thing to try was to repair using the Windows 7 boot disk. This failed because it said that the version was not correct, I am now SP2 and the install disk was for SP1, so it said to try to create a repair disk from a friends installation so used that option of the Missus's PC.
That seemed to solve the problem! Success, placed all the panels back on and then 'Bootmgr is missing'! Used the repair cd again and it worked and booted up, but something couldn't load as they couldn't be found. The partitions on the HD were missing again.! Panel off, reset the loose connection and it finally worked.

It took me 6 hrs today to achieve something that should have been doable in 15mins. Several times I had nightmare visions of all those years of FS stuff going up in smoke. Still I have it back up and I can now upgrade to 10.

That can't be as bad - surely.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Nightmare Steve! Hope the upgrade goes well.
John