The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 10

Post by Weescotty »

The ONLY issue I have found with Windows 10 is that using the Edge browser sometimes leads to a system lockup.
Using Internet Explorer it seems fine.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For some reason I am putting that off for a few days.
Sorry about the previous post but believe it or not I did simplify it. I mainly posted for those you have to upgrade their SSD. It should work absolutely fine but when something gets disturbed when you open the case it can be somewhat lengthy but you can come through it. For me the Recovery disk plus some extra SATA cables would have been ideal at the beginning.
Steve
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

Updated to Windows 10, re-installed FS9 and it would not start. :? then tried replacing the "exe" with the "no-cd exe" which cured the prob and all ok now... also woring are, AFX, FSDS, Lib Creator and SBuilder... Tony is happy :D
Time travel does exist, i just discovered it next week...
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Upgrading my custom built PC from Windows 7 went very smoothly.

After that I thought I'd also quickly upgrade my Asus laptop from Windows 7. What a nightmare. It threw several errors right before the first reboot but rebooted anyway so I couldn't even read them properly. Then the upgrade process locked up several times. Had to reboot manually every time. I got it as far as the "Dit duurt niet lang" ("This won't take long") screen at the end which, of course, took ages. Had to reboot manually again and the whole system went tits-up. Not even the rollback feature would work. I ended up formatting my C-drive and rebooting from the recovery partition back to factory settings. Hours wasted... :roll:
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

no-cd.exe -
Definitely required to run under Windows 10.
FS9 used safedisk to check for the FS9 disk in the CD-ROM.
This loaded a Macrovision driver.

Apparently early Tech Preview builds had the Macrovision driver in them, but it is missing from the released version.

ANY old games that use safedisk will need a no-cd.exe 'fix' to run.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sorry to here about your issues, Greg.
I decided to upgrade the laptop first, however it hasn't got the option yet.

Incidentally the laptop was the only thing that said that some software had to be de-installed first. Done that, just got to wait for my turn now.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Yesterday there was a major updated MS did to my Windows 7 PC, 41750 patches to the registry alone!! Including some marked AMD64 then I got a message saying the PC was ready for the Windows 10 upgrade. So I'm going to press the button Thursday morning!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
jacquesbaudy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Windows 10

Post by jacquesbaudy »

I am working on w10 since the very first days. And experimented a lot of small bugs. I.e: ctd starts very longs, quit in about 10 min!
Yesterday Microsoft made an update and all works fine even with fs9 in full screen mode. I use a to shiva laptop with an and Radeon and an Intel I5 quadricore.
Sorry for my English as I am just a poor lonesome frogging!

Jacques Baudy
A poor lonesome froggie
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

VulcanDriver wrote:Yesterday there was a major updated MS did to my Windows 7 PC, 41750 patches to the registry alone!! Including some marked AMD64 then I got a message saying the PC was ready for the Windows 10 upgrade. So I'm going to press the button Thursday morning!

Well that didn't work! Said it was getting info about my PC "this will take a few seconds" over an hour later it was still doing it then found the installer had hung. Closed it down. Looks I can't upgrade to W10 if when MS says I can!!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

jacquesbaudy wrote:I am working on w10 since the very first days. And experimented a lot of small bugs. I.e: ctd starts very longs, quit in about 10 min!
Yesterday Microsoft made an update and all works fine even with fs9 in full screen mode. I use a to shiva laptop with an and Radeon and an Intel I5 quadricore.
Sorry for my English as I am just a poor lonesome frogging!

Jacques Baudy

Your English is far better than my French Jacques for I am just one of "les rosbifs" :D
John

Jonjon
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Jonjon »

:D
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RKE »

The updater is running so slow on my PC, I've just about given up on it for the time being. If I ever find the time, I'll probably just grab an ISO and wait until I have the time for a full system reset.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

There's not a lot of encouraging news about the upgrade attempts here..... :smt003

Gonna wait a while on mine.....

Too much critical stuff I need for work on it for it reach critical mass on me....
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

MIKE JG wrote:There's not a lot of encouraging news about the upgrade attempts here..... :smt003

Gonna wait a while on mine.....

Too much critical stuff I need for work on it for it reach critical mass on me....
Hi Mike I agree I now have my FS9 set up running smooth with an average of 40 to 45 fps with no blurries. Also my music library is set up just right with a small piece of software that allows my iPod to connect with my PC without the PIA that is iTunes.

Cheers
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Just a quick question for those that have done the upgarde, does EVP still work?
Steve
aljude
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by aljude »

Firebird wrote:Just a quick question for those that have done the upgarde, does EVP still work?
Working on my system Steve :D
Time travel does exist, i just discovered it next week...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Nice to know.
Thinking about it it might be nice to keep track of FS addons that work OK, or not, to save a bunch of people asking the same questions.
Steve
Dave YVR ATC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dave YVR ATC »

I did the move to Windows 10 about 10 days ago and found it to be a pleasure. The whole process (upgrade overtop of Windows 7 Home Ultimate) only took an hour and was painless aside for me having to install the newer Nvidia driver's. I have yet to find a program that I have that doesn't work or that I had to tweak to make work.
I had previously been having some DX based ctd's in P3d that from what I've read the only way to fix was to re install windows, so I held out for 10 and haven't had one crash since. I'm pretty impressed overall with it.
Windows10 Home
Intel i7 8700K at 5ghz
32gb G.Skill DDR4/3200
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti SC
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

If anyone thinking of using the downloadable ISO from Microsoft.....

You must first use it to upgrade your current system.
Once you have done that AND checked it has activated....
You can (if you want) completely wipe the hard drive and do a clean install.
Note - No need to enter a key, just skip that part on the clean install.

Re: the safedisk issue....
Looked at a tech preview build I was running at work testing our apps for compatibility.
The driver required for CDs protected by safedisk is there, so for some reason it has been removed in the release version.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Has W10 got the Windows Media Player in it. Originally MS said they had taken it out as they wanted everything streamed not kept on the PC.
John