The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI FSX F-15s for FSX Lakenheath (ACG)

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: JYAI FSX F-15s for FSX Lakenheath (ACG)

Post by John Young »

Thank you Sean. Having seen Henk's paints, I'm just changing my camouflage to the lighter scheme and hi viz insignia. They look more like As and Bs like that.

I can also say, that Mark Inny has recently sent me the first cut of the sound pack for the FSX versions. Just sitting at the end of the runway with the surround speakers up high and watching the afterburner light as the engines go to full power is just incredible.

John
Bora

Post by Bora »

Glad to see you did the model version with the centeline fueltank as well... It looks really good on the F-15 and now they can be used for retro as well since this was the most common configuration back in those days...

Small detail though: the one sidewinder was carried at the left wing (port side), not the right wing (starboard side)...
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by hschuit »

To Bora: The training sidewinder station was not always the same, I have photos with them on port or starboard, inner or outer rack. Here is a photo I took at Bitburg in 1984:

Bora

Post by Bora »

Guess you are right Henk, found some more pictures now with the Sidewinder dummy on the starboard wing...

Looking forward to the model and the repaints !
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

hschuit wrote:As john said, I am working on a set of retro USAFE paints & some simple flight plans. The screenshots below are still with the standard C/D models, when I will release the paints they will use John's awesome new A/B models.

Great! Looking forward to!!!

:smt006
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by david.harwood »

John,

This is my first message on his forum for a while, or maybe the first officially, but it worries me greatly that such amazing designers and developers are stopping what they do so well. I wish I had the time and intelligence to even grasp the work that you and other do for the flight-sim community and on a personal note I eagerly await new AI models and scenery that I can enjoy.

As soon as the RAF Wattisham scenery was available it was downloaded and installed to include your Phantoms. I had the TEAM SDB version which was nice but nothing compared to your models and ACG's scenery and it still amazes me that I pay for TEAM SDB scenery but not for yours or ACGs.

I don't know why the level of downloads has dropped for additional scenery and AI but it hasn't from me. I continue to monitor the ACG and MAIW websites for new stuff to buzz around my skies as its a cracking little hobby and I can't do it for reel. You and others have an amazing skill and passion for what you do and it shows in the products you produce. I would be happy to pay for anything you, ACG or MAIW produce if it meant that you all kept doing what you all do so well I your own time.

I finally have a stable version of FSX running even with all the MIAW packages installed via their extensive document and can forgive the odd tree here and there. The first thing I did the other week when I purchased the Milviz Phantom was learn how to start the thing up from a hanger at Wattisham. I'm just waiting for another individual, a lot smarter than me, to create a nice Wattisham texture to match your and I'll be a happy lad.

I hope others comment on how much they enjoy all you do. I should say it more but can't type whilst flying and F-15E of the wing of an AI flight out of MAIWs RAF Lakenheath. I fully appreciate all you all do and hope you start to charge for the work an so continue to be appreciated.

P.S. Would love an A-6 and EA-6B!
John Young wrote:There is something in what you say Eric and it doesn't bode well. The Wattisham scenery and Phantom packages have produced 765 and 506 downloads respectively for FS9 and 1328 and 875 for FSX. That's very low compared to what was happening a few years back. That's partly down to duplication in this case I would think, but even in FSX, although I made unique native AI, 453 users of the FSX scenery didn't bother with the FSX AI at all. The packages were also retro of course, so that might well depress demand further.

The 4 packages probably took around 5000 man hours to produce. That's a hell of a lot of investment for not a great demand.

99.7% of users will never say a word after downloading, so the majority of the hours go into a black hole. That's always been the case of course and if it wasn't for the support here in the forums at MAIW, I would have given up a while ago. The amount of designers who are no longer active and those that are unable to complete large projects is understandable particularly when time in this modern age is under pressure, work and family-wise. If you add to that the further segmentation of the "market" into FS9, FSX, and P3D, the AI niche in the military niche, now has 3 further niches all of which now split the demand into smaller units, unless you design for all 3 sims. Not many people do that.

For me, I am no longer eager to invest a few thousand hours in detailed scenery projects, particularly retro ones. I'm more happy with AI when I can take a gamble on a project that might only require 200 hours or less. That said, I will want to avoid duplication to avoid another Phantom disappointment. I need to ask first what people want and perhaps concentrate on finding the gaps of missing aircraft that haven't been done before. It was only because Ian needed FSX F-15s that I was more than happy to produce them and since the FS9 versions were marginal, I did those too.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It's very kind of you to post your appreciation as you have Dave.

I'm quite fortunate in that I have spare time that I can use for FS designing, but I know time is much more of a constraint for others here. I'm more than happy doing what I'm doing with AI aircraft, but for the reasons already stated, I'm not keen to embark on detailed custom scenery projects, at least for the time being.

At ACG, we did try the pay-ware route as an experiment, but had to abandon it and release as freeware instead. It was just too time consuming and frustrating trying to negotiate the licence from the airfield owner and trying to get cooperation to help us complete the project was dragging on for months. I'd rather just treat it as an enjoyable hobby that brings pleasure to people, even though few will ever express it.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

To avoid confusion with Henk's CR paints, I have re-done the A and B paint schemes as Holloman (HO) examples. These aircraft visited Europe in 1986 and indeed the reference photo I used for one of them was actually taken by Henk at that time.

I uploaded the aircraft to Avsim this morning. The files are:

FS9
JYAI_F15_A_B_FS9_1.zip

FSX
JYAI_F15_A_B_FSX_1.zip

Thanks for your help Henk.

John
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

Great!

Thank you!
Zsolt
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

I am working on the Lakenheath pack
The Grim Reapers ready

Zsolt
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

My USAFE retro paints pack is now available on AVSIM. The files are:

FS9 = jyai_f-15s_fs9_usafe_repaints.zip
FSX = jyai_f-15s_fsx_usafe_repaints.zip

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Well done Henk and thank you. I see you have done both FS9 and FSX paints. That's great.

John
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

zsoltfireman wrote:I am working on the Lakenheath pack
The Grim Reapers ready

Zsolt
Zsolt,

Do you intend on uploading these repaints....the squadron personalized engine covers are a really nice touch.

All the best

Trev
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

Hi Trev,

Yes!
I'm on it...
The week!

Zsolt
zsoltfireman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zsoltfireman »

I'm uploaded at AVSIM
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

There is only FSX version on avsim. Do you plan to do a FS9 version ? Thanks.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks zsolt, some more great paints to add.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Christopher Low
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Christopher Low »

John,

After reading the last few posts in this thread, I just wanted to post to say how much I appreciate the work that you do (and have done in the past). I have several of your packages installed, and also your retro RAF Marham scenery. I also think that you were involved with the RAF Coningsby and Duxford packages, which I also have installed. Your work is always of the very highest calibre (easily payware quality in my opinion), so please do not feel that a lack of feedback means that few people appreciate your work, because we certainly do!

Thank you for all of your hard work 8)

On a side note, I really hope that the developer of the RAF Lakenheath scenery has a think about his decision to stop development on the project. I was really looking forward to a detailed version of that base (as I am sure many, many others were), and your F15 package would surely be the icing on the cake.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

Loving the new model John thank you very much :)