The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Navy Jacksonville Seahawks by Desmond Burrell

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Navy Jacksonville Seahawks by Desmond Burrell

Post by Greg »

Post support related comments for this package in this thread. The Package Manager will look into your problem as soon as possible.

NOTE 1: Keep this thread clean and post ONLY support related comments here. For all other discussions about this package, please reply to the release announcement.

NOTE 2: We will only provide support for bugs in our packages, not for conflicts with other addons in a user's highly modified simulator setup.

NOTE 3: Support for FSX users will not be offered in this thread. Instead FSX community support can be had from other users by posting questions in our "Unofficial Flight Simulator X Forums".
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Navy Jacksonville Seahawks by Desmond Burrell

Post by Joseph29 »

Just a quick question. The scenery in this package was not updated, just the AFCAD right?
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by reconmercs »

just the afcad.
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: New Package: Navy Jacksonville Seahawks

Post by david.harwood »

Hi, can't see to complete the download of this one! Every time I start the download process it gets interrupted just before completion and then when I resume and it completes the zip file is empty.

Any ideas or is it me? Everything else works/downloads fine!
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Hi David,

I downloaded the package last night and it worked okay - have you tried downloading another package just to compare?
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Following read-me for FSX users, in the listed folder, I only see the following after install:

model.Sea_Hawk_S
airfile
aircraft.cfg

Just wanted to confirm no .dds textures are included.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

There should be full aircraft folders with the R model, there shouldn't be any S models in the package, I'll have to take a look
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Just a small note about the updated AFCAD for parking, NAS Jax has changed the main runway designation a couple of years ago, now 10/28.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by david.harwood »

Stewart Pearson wrote:Hi David,

I downloaded the package last night and it worked okay - have you tried downloading another package just to compare?
Stewart, it would appear to be a local issue downloading the file using IE. I have successfully downloaded using Chrome and installing now.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Des designed his package for FS9, but If anyone is thinking of trying it in FSX, I did a few tests this morning. With the right model and quality settings it is indeed usable.

The FSX model files in the MAIW folder are for the wrong aircraft (S model) and the S model file itself is missing, only the model.cfg file is there. The R model that is used in the flight plans is completely missing. First test therefore was with the FS9 model. That works but the rotor disks are not visible.

The Jacksonville scenery works OK with just a few transparency problems. However the frame rate is struggling as 12fps in windowed mode and 15 fps in full screen mode, both without clouds. That's with an I7 processor and GTX760 graphics card.

I was able to substitute the FSX R model from my main Black Hawk Family package, but since there are no available FSX .dds textures for the Jacksonville Seahawks, I used the supplied FS9 ones instead, except for the rotor disks. I grabbed that texture from the FSX Black Hawk family pack and replaced the FS9 one in each folder. That boosts the frame rate to 14fps (windowed) and 21 fps (full screen). That's at max FSX quality settings.

Those results can be improved I'm sure with lower quality settings. The volume of Seahawks observed was 26 at 10:00 local. Just out of interest I looked at the real world image in Google Earth. That showed 19 parking spots I think, but only 5 visible Seahawks. You can achieve that level by pulling the traffic slider back to around 30%.

Two other problems I noticed - the departing Seahawks taxi through each other on the ramp. The second helicopter departing freezes after the one in front has gone. I don't know if that happens in FS9 because I haven't tried it.

All in all then, with the correct models, the package is usable in FSX. Don't forget to convert the traffic files though.

John
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

Truth be told, I don't have FSX installed so I just placed the the FSX textures placed into the optional folder. There are a few more hawk packages in the pipeline, I'll have someone with FSX double check them to be on the safe side. I'll try to get an updated package uploaded with proper models as soon as possible.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

There are no FSX textures in the FSX optional folder Des. If you are going to provide the FSX R model, then you really need to provide the FSX rotor disk texture "JYAI_Rotors_t.dds" texture and ask users to copy to each texture folder to replace the Fs9 one, otherwise the disks won't display.

If you want to go the whole hog, It would be better, performance and graphics-wise, if the 54 individual aircraft textures were converted to .dds (from the master, not from the Fs9 textures), but you can get away with the Fs9 Bmp's if you didn't want to go that far. Just provide the .dds rotor disk in that case.

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks John, I just added the rotor.dds and tested. Autogen issues (mostly NRB) as expected and those will be fixed for FSX users. Since I was stationed at NAS Jax, most of the time the helos stayed in the hangar overnight. We hardly used the main runways, taking off and landing to the seawall spots, but did use spot 4 close to the ATC tower. Like the HSL squadrons before, the HSM squadrons at both Jax and Mayport work in a detachment concept and will always be deployed, so accurately you would not see full squadrons.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

I have the FSX Helos installed and they have rotor textures in BMP form in the texture folders. I have the original FSX helos from the Beta package that has DDS textures in the texture folders. Should I replace the BMP rotor textures with the DDS rotor textures? This will put BMP textures and DDS textures together in the same texture folder.

Reggie
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I would hold fire Reggie. Click has confirmed that he has a set of .dds main textures for the package. He or Des will also provide one of the rotor textures in .dds formate for FSX users to copy to each aircraft texture folder. All the textures for the FSX model will then be .dds. All .bmp ones can then be deleted.

John
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Okay, standing by.........
Reggie
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Janeway »

Thanks for this new AI package for FS9, Des.
It blends in nicely with previous MAIW packages, augmenting the helicopter traffic.
Every MAIW pack is worth waiting for...and this has been the l-o-n-g-e-s-t wait ever, it seems!!

FSX-users are entitled to enjoy MAIW packs, along with the rest of us.
MAIW has graciously created a section to facilitate installation of FS9 packs into FSX,
entitled "Unofficial Flight Simulator X Forums".
However, I was confused by the handful of comments posted in this thread, relating to FSX,
after reading "Note 3", at the top of the page:

NOTE 3: Support for FSX users will not be offered in this thread. Instead FSX community support can be had from other users by posting questions in our "Unofficial Flight Simulator X Forums".

Having said that, I sincerely hope that both FS9 and FSX users will derive plenty of good fun from this new package...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I built 34 Blackhawk models (17 FS9 and 17 FSX) in the space of 3 months. Click followed on very rapidly with numerous repaints and Des has produced the first official package within 7 weeks of the models being available. That's not bad going.

My main Blackhawk family package has, of today, had 516 FS9 version downloads and 453 FSX. That's actually bucking the trend because when I release both versions of a project simultaneously, FSX downloads usually lead by around 60/40. Like it or not, FSX users are significant players now and are growing in proportion all the time. My personal preference is not to consign them to an unofficial backwater, particularly, as in this case, the official package contained an FSX model, or will do once the right files are included.

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

That's called thread creep and we would prefer not to discuss FSX issues in the FS9 support forum. But it happens and isn't a big deal as long as people understand the 'why' behind the thinking about keeping the FS9 and FSX support in separate forums.

This is the only support thread for this package so it's probably time we take note 3 out of that disclaimer which was written long before FSX was ever on the radar here.

Might be time for a dedicated package support thread for FSX.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That sounds like a good idea Mike. To keep things simple, it's probably better not to put FSX elements into FS9 packages. I never mix them. It will also help the classification of the package into the right Avsim category, assuming it's posted there.

John