The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 7 Update and FS2004

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Windows 7 Update and FS2004

Post by pslinger »

I am hoping someone can provide some guidance and direction. Microsoft Windows 7 recently completed an update and since the update I have been unable to start FS2004. When I double click on the desktop icon, I receive a message that says; "Please login with administrator privileges and try again". I have attempted to run FS2004 by going to properties and selecting "Run as Administrator" and turning off UAC, and neither approach has worked. I rolled back the change using a restore point and everything works just fine. I have searched the Microsoft web site but was unable to find a solution. I then did a Google search and came across something called no_CD but don't know if that approach is legit. I am uneasy rolling back an update Microsoft has labeled as a "Critical Update." I currently run FS2004 with disk 4 in the CD drive. If could point me in the right direction or share an approach that would address this problem, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Windows 7 Update and FS2004

Post by MIKE JG »

Hmmm..... I just did that update the other night and hadn't fired the sim up since then. Mine started up normally just now.

There are people here who are far more knowledgeable than I am on these matters. Hopefully they will chime in soon.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Jon
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by Jon »

If you are on the AIG forum.
http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index ... ic=22343.0

If not. It seems that update KB3086255 is the problem. solution seems to be either roll back the update or use no-CD. I'm hesitant to roll it back and the version on no-CD I found didn't work properly.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Jon, thanks for the link. There is a lot of material there and I want to take the time to read it in detail. Checked out a number of links and skimmed over the material. Also reluctant to roll back the update. Hoping Microsoft will issue another update that corrects the issue. If I come across anything I'll let you know.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Guys,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think that MS will fix this. This is a deliberate update to bring the OS into line with Win 10. They have removed the mechanism to support that type of security protection. Yes they know it breaks some of their own game releases.

The only way around this is to either remove that update or to use the NoCD patch. Which way you go is going to be u to you.
Jon, I have been using the NoCD since FS9 came out and have had no issue. However, there are two versions of it. One for the original FS9 release and one for the FS9.1 update. I am assuming that you are running FS9.1 so make sure you found a patch for that version.
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

If you can't find it then send a PM with your email and I will pass it on.

The file you are looking for is:

nocd2k4patched.zip

Regards
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Yet another reason I'm sticking with w7! So far I've not heard any good words or reasons to move to W10 from my friends who work in IT. In fact most have put W7 back on their PCs as most of their software crashes on W10
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sounds like a plan, John. Trouble is this one sounds like is MS coming to get you, personally, on every OS. :lol:
Steve
Bosshogg
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bosshogg »

I am having the same issue. Where do I find that fix?
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

petebramley wrote:If you can't find it then send a PM with your email and I will pass it on.

The file you are looking for is:

nocd2k4patched.zip

Regards
Thanks sir worked like a champ.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:Sounds like a plan, John. Trouble is this one sounds like is MS coming to get you, personally, on every OS. :lol:
Yep, if FS9 worked on Linux I'd not have any version of Windows installed :D
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Microsoft is learning from Apply by forcing their users to upgrade....... They make more money that way....
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I refuse to be bullied. I still prefer Steam trains :-)
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by 992910 »

This thread saved me big time, thanks guys. I have Windows 8.1 but experienced the exact same issue. I came home after two weeks of travel through Bahrain and Amsterdam only to find FS9 not loading - not doing anything when I clicked the icon. After some system restores (way too many) and this thread, I'm back up and running. Cheers!
Bosshogg
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bosshogg »

Can someone please tell me where to find "nocd2k4patched.zip" file?

Thank you.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I don't know about that one specifically but if you google "fs9.1 no cd patch" you will find loads of places that have the patch.
This assumes that you patched FS9 to 9.1, there are two patches. If you never upgraded FS9 to 9.1 then just amend your search accordingly.
Steve
Bosshogg
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bosshogg »

Got it and back in business. Thanks!
phantomfreak
Major
Major

Post by phantomfreak »

Has there been any other updates to Windows 7 in the last while since that update with the KB3086255 that would preclude FS9 from starting? Tried to run mine and it would load the start screen and hour glass, I did run Procmon and after loading up to addon scenery, and one of the afcads in that folder (referred to one of the UK airfields), it would basically go into a loop. Sorry I didn't screen shot any of that.
Bazinga!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Windows 7 is now unsupported, unless you pay for it, so no more updates EXCEPT for imperative security patches.
After Jan 2020 you won't even get these.

That patch you mention is the one that disables the safedisc security system, which FS9/FSX use.
With W7 you do have the option to switch on and switch off the safedisc security system, W10 does not, but in all honesty it would be far better to just replace the FS9.exe with the No CD patch.

There are 2 patches, one for the original FS9 and one for the FS9.1 update. Just ensure that you have the right one for your version.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Agreed. I use the No CD patch and I've never had any problems after the W7 updates.
John