The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Seaking Reloaded

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Seaking Reloaded

Post by Tranquil »

With the RAF Seakings retirement due to take place in 2016 i decided to give the old girl a slight face lift, with a lick of budgie yellow paint, a ton of rivets, some dirt & rust and updated panel lines etc.

Thanks to Graham for sending me his paint kit as a template to go on..

Its still in a WIP stage as ive a few things to adjust and add, excuse the blue windows in the image, i usually use FSRepaints to take sceenshots but the model doesnt load up, so used ModelXonverterX instead!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Chrisb
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Seaking Reloaded

Post by Chrisb »

That looks good Mark. Are you uploading the whole fleet?

Chris
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

prepare
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Discussed this with Gary and we thought we should let the cat out of the bag on this one, just in case anyone else wants to mark the UK Sea King withdrawal from service that might result in abortive work. So with apologies to Mark, but I finished a complete revamp of the RAF Sea King a few weeks back. They have not been released yet because they are associated with a much (much) larger MAIW package that a number of people have contributed to. That stays in the bag for the moment, but I can reveal that the RAF Sea King package has 22 aircraft in it. These are 3 of them:

The models are for FS9 only and have VTOL xml code in them for straight up/tilt take-off and straight down landing, with thanks to our xml and FDE magicians here.

The RAF Sea Kings are all ready for upload, but I would prefer not to steal the thunder of the much (much) larger package.

Just a note on the tiger scheme to save a question - it was a one day scheme "painted" on a Falklands Sea King with black bin bags for a photo shoot. The grey one is also a Falklands example in an anniversary scheme.

John
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Another Maiw masterpiece in the making! looks super! hope i diddnt make you guys spill the beans! ;) , The good thing is though i dont feel ive wasted my time on the repaint ive done as i enjoy the research as much as the painting and it also maximizes my painting skills :)

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Not a problem for us at all Mark. It's a pity your paint won't match the mapping in the revamped model.

John
Bora

Post by Bora »

Wooowww, that sure is a promising looking new model of the SeaKing !
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Is there a Belgian repaint in the work ? It will be cool. I hope.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Comming very very soon, no Belgian yet but some nice others :)
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Some months ago I was asked by Gary if I could re-work the existing MAIW Sea King models for use in his scenery of RNAS Culdrose. The original models produced were back in 2008 by Chris “Elvis” Jones and Rob Nieuwenhoven. I have managed a number of enhancements, including adding:

- an interior cabin
- animated doors
- drooping rotors
- new crew
- new textures
- new xml-triggered lift/descent animation on take-off and landing
- some additional paint schemes.

I must thank Mike McIntyre for the basis of the FDE and Kevin Reed for the XML code trigger for the VTOL animation.

The Royal Navy versions are in the recently released RNAS Culdrose package, but here they are on my test flight line prior to delivery to Culdrose:

Following on from the Royal Navy Sea Kings, I also re-worked the RAF ones contained in the 2008 “maiw_raf_seaking.zip” which is available from Avsim.com. The new package replaces the 20 RAF Sea Kings with the new ones but I have also added two Falkland examples too:

Users can do a straight swap of the UK aircraft and retain the original flight plans. However, since this is now largely a retro package, users may want to set up their own flight plans. The original ones were weekly based and did not create a lot of movement.

I uploaded the RAF Sea King package to Avsim a few minutes ago, but it might be too late for today's availability. The file is called:

maiw_raf_sea_kings_new_models.zip

To pre-empt the question, I have also re-worked the HC4 "Junglies" at RNAS Yeovilton, but I'll hold release of those pending completion of another element to the package. I'd rather have a change to something else next, so no further Sea Kings for the time being alas.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Very nice John :)
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

Available now on AVSIM. Downloaded, installed and looking good.

Thanks John, another top quality package.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Your usual excellent standard John :)

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Bravo John, another excellent job. Now to get these all plugged in.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Greatfull !!! I hope a Belgian version of the Westland Sea King MK48 ;-)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks for the feedback. Very sticky surface on these Black Hawks and Sea Kings. They are very difficult to shake off once you've touched them because there are so many possibilities. Apart from the HC4 pack, I'd like to have a break from both for a while and start something new.

Just realised though, that I left the paint kit out of the RAF Sea King pack. New zip that includes the paint kit just uploaded to Avsim with the same file name. Sorry about that.

107 downloads in the first few hours. That surprised me for an RAF helicopter going out of service.

John
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

They are a classic John
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

It is always thanks to the great work published.
The sky is enriched thanks to John.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

and Mike and Kevin, in this case, of course.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Sad they are about to be retro, but great looking models. I finally got around to purchasing the Virt/Alpha model to fly with these. I can see how the textures are slightly different, tried using Joecoastie's RNoAF SAR birds (also retro now).
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris