The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RNAS Culdrose by Gary Barker

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: RNAS Culdrose by Gary Barker

Post by campbeme »

bismarck wrote:Installed the new FDE. Ok when Merlin is taxing but, when parked, the wheels are not on ground.

Giorgio
How are you viewing it Giorgio?
Mark
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

Both with TVB or traffic toolbox or from a user aircraft. Following a landing one, all is ok, but not the helos on ground or boarding.
Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I didn't have a problem with wheels not being on the ground in the Beta Test, but just to be sure I downloaded the current version to take another look. The download took 5 minutes and was complete. After re-installing, the Merlins and Sea Kings were sitting on the ground when parked and when on the move:

Could it be an AFCAD conflict - UK2000 possibly?

John
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

I thought you might be TVB always makes models with the lift animation float on my system. You will find if you look from a user aircraft they will be fine.
Mark
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have heard this before, and Mike Mac always mentions it.
In my personal experience though I don't get a problem with TVB. To be fair, I once had an annoying problem with things bouncing around as well as wheel touching issues but found that this was due to my fs9.cfg settings. I changed default start point from one air base to another and it seemed that not all settings got wiped/altered.

I deleted and recreated my fs9.cfg and copied back all those little mods you make and joystick settings and I have never had a problem with TVB since. To be fair I only use TVB.

I am not saying that I am right and everybody else is wrong. I am saying that I had a problem, solved it, and TVB has been perfect ever since.

Now if you have the aircraft fine on start up and taxy out but hover/sink when landing that is absolutely due to a difference in height between the default afcad height and the one you are using. In that case check/alter your afcads.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

John Young wrote:I didn't have a problem with wheels not being on the ground in the Beta Test, but just to be sure I downloaded the current version to take another look. The download took 5 minutes and was complete. After re-installing, the Merlins and Sea Kings were sitting on the ground when parked and when on the move:

Could it be an AFCAD conflict - UK2000 possibly?

John

Likewise during development I never saw this, I used Just Flight VFR scenery during the development but I made sure there was no conflicting AFDs (I did find two) that I deleted. Has anyone else seen this? BTW I flew it our several other airfields and airports during the testing phase but never saw this.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

Guys,

Since my work seems to be in question here, I will reluctantly chime in on this. I've been down this road of an AI aircraft's tires not always being in touch with an airport's surfaces many times before and it has invariably come down to an issue with either how the AI aircraft was viewed and/or an airport's elevation versus the AFCAD's elevation. Please read the section of my heading in my aircraft.cfg file for the JEAI Merlin about how they should be viewed in order to eliminate the former type of viewing problem.

Obviously the contact point height settings are the primary settings controlling whether the AI aircraft's landing gear tires contact airport surfaces when the AI aircraft is parked, taxiing, taking off and/or landing. However, other contact point settings as well as when, where and how the AI aircraft is viewed also play an important role and must also be taken into account.

My original JEAI Merlin version 1.2 FDE had the JEAI Merlin's tires in contact with the airport surfaces at all my AI helicopter test airports whenever and wherever they were viewed using the MS Traffic Explorer to view them. However, I later adjusted the JEAI Merlin's contact point heights to make its tires look a little more compressed when in contact with airport surfaces in my JEAI Merlin version 1.3 FDE. That change apparently got lost, probably due to negligence on my part, and the MAIW RNAS Culdrose package was tested and released with my version 1.2 FDE.

For the past two weeks I have been doing some intensive testing of the JEAI Merlin using my version 1.3 FDE at another set of airports and using MS Traffic Explorer to view the JEAI Merlins I have not observed any tires floating above the airport surfaces whenever or wherever they are observed.

I have not yet installed Gary's MAIW RNAS Culdrose package, but I will do that ASAP and check the parked, taxiing, taking off and landing JEAI Merlins for tire contact with the airport surfaces. Even if I don't observe any tire separation from the Culdrose airport surfaces, since both Giorgio and Gary have observed some, I will make some adjustments that should add more apparent tire compression for the rest of us and get the tires in complete contact with the Culdrose airport surfaces whenever and wherever they are observed by Giorgio and Gary as long as they are using MS Traffic Explorer to view them. However, if they are using TVB or any other method of AI viewing other than MS Traffic Explorer, all bets are off.

Sorry,
    Mike M.
    bismarck
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Hello all.
    I'd just like to clear up some points about this discussion.
    I'm not complaining about works done by none. :wink:
    I just asked if someone else have the same problem. If not, it's a problem on my setup. :?

About texture.
    My textures are set to massive as suggested by Gary. I think there is a problem with the original texture sheet. Looking at it with DXTbmp, all that small particulars are not clear and are blurred. May be the mipsmap have been added more than one time?
    About wheels.
    Don't ask me why, but I've just fired up my FS9, and the problem is gone..... :roll:
    May be I did something wrong when I've updated to FDE 1.3, really don't know.
    Thanks, Giorgio
    Garysb
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Mike
    Thanks for your input
    We are not complaining about your work, in fact I am very grateful for your imput and help and look forward to your addition :)
    As you say it could be just the way I am viewing things
    I awiat your pronouncement as to the outcome
    Many thanks
    Gary

Gary
    I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
    Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
    pcremin
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by pcremin »

Hi guys, still looking for an answer to my post about download problems. I just don't seem to able to download this through Internet Explorer. I keep getting the message "download interrupted" I have never had this problem with your site before, please help

Paul
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I downloaded with Internet Explorer 11 this morning in 5 minutes with no interruption and a complete zip that opened fine.

John
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

@pcremin
    This is a genuine suggestion not a knock on MS. Have you tried another browser, would suggest a portable version, to see if they work better?
    Make sure you are not using a proxy or a download accelerator they can often cause problems.

@Mike
    I don't think your work is being questioned. I know your methodology and I know the reason why. I have to say that even though I only use TVB I do not think that I have ever had to adjust your points.
    Steve
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Guys,

I installed Gary's very nice MAIW RNAS Culdrose package this morning and the JEAI Merlins' tires were indeed not in contact with the airport surfaces at all times using my original version 1.2 FDE. Much to my surprise the JEAI Merlins' tires were, although much closer, still not in good contact with the airport surfaces at all times using my version 1.3 FDE. :shock:

When I investigated this issue further the problem was a tad more complicated than I anticipated. I won't bore you all with all the details, but suffice it to say that I believe by adjusting several parameters I now have the issue resolved, but would like Gary, Giorgio and any other interested parties to test my version 1.4 FDE attached below and please feedback your tire contact with airport surfaces observations. Hopefully you will all observe the same consistently good results that I did. :lol:
    JEAI_AugustaWestland_AW101_Merlin_v1.4_FDE.zip
    (12.34 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
    Previous attachment had my test version 1.4 FDE in it, but has now been replaced with an attachment that contains an aircraft.cfg file that contains all of Gary's [flightsim.x] sections for all of his package's JEAI Merlins.

Sorry,
    Last edited by mikewmac on 13 Oct 2015, 10:24, edited 3 times in total.
      Mike M.
      bismarck
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Tires a little compressed on ground.
      Perfect! :smt023
      FDE 1.4 Approved! 8)
      Thanks Mike.

Giorgio
      John Young
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I can't see any Merlins at all now at Culdrose. Looking at the 1.4 FDE, the aircraft.cfg has only 7 Merlins listed against the 23 in 1.3. I don't know if these correspond with the flight plans in the main download, but it's getting late over here in the UK so I'll have another look tomorrow morning.

John
      bismarck
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

You have to copy the fltsim sections from the cfg of version 1.3 to the cfg of vers. 1.4.

Giorgio
      John Young
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

CFG aircraft sections copied over and the Merlins are now back and sitting well, whether parked, on the move or in ATC view.

John
      Garysb
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

All ok
      Zip with all sections complete just copy over the 1,3 version

Well done Mike :)
      Attachments
      JEAI_AugustaWestland_AW101_Merlin_v1.4_FDE.zip
      (11.9 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
      I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
      Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
      mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Thanks Guys,

I'm delighted to hear that my version 1.4 JEAI Merlin FDE has solved the problem of the JEAI Merlin's inconsistent tire contact with airport surfaces for all of you so far. :D
        Mike M.
        MIKE JG
        MAIW Developer
        MAIW Developer
        Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Awesome work guys! Glad everyone got it sorted out, great models by everyone involved!

Time to see some Merlins in Army green!
        -Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log