The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

ADE Flattens

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

ADE Flattens

Post by JohnTenn »

It is possible to create flattens for FS9 and FSX that are not the same altitude as the airport you are working on.

The polygons with different altitudes must not intersect or overlap.

I use images of the airports as a template for my projects. I scale then using the main runway as a reference.

When modifying an airport next to a body of water. Make a polygon that covers the water surface adjacent to the airport. Right click on the polygon and change the altitude to 0ft for the ocean or any other altitude if it is a lake for example.

Make a new polygon to flatten your airport. Make sure this one is at the same altitude as your airport.

You may have to move the nodes on the polygons to get a better result after testing.

It is also possible to create polygons between these, if the is enough space, to create an intermediate slope.

This is not an exact science so a little patience and creativity may be required to create the best compromise.

It is also possible to cover the base airport flattens in this way to remove elevated water on the approach.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: ADE Flattens

Post by Firebird »

I believe that what you are talking about when amending the areas covered by water is a LWM file, Land Water Mask.
I myself have never made one although I would love one that accurately covers NAS Key West.
I believe that SBuilder will do what you want although there maybe more proggies out there.
Steve
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Steve

ADE will only flatten the area. To change the shape of the coastline or change the ground cover you will need to use SBuilder or the like.

If your intent is only to lower a raised table in the water then you can do it with ADE,

John
edakridge
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by edakridge »

I have done what you are attempting with ADE. I have done it to elevate docks while having the Bay and ships at 0 elevation. You can accomplish this by having ADE connected to the sim and slewing along the coastline, placing a flatten polygon point at each indent or turn in the coastline. I have also done different elevations on land. While doing the scenery for Lima site 86 for the FSX@War SEA pack, I was able to do multiple flattens. It is a tedious and sometimes frustrating process, but it can be done. As you stated above, flatten polys cannot overlap. I try to keep the from touching at all. i hope this helps.

Ed