The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI Kawasaki T-4s

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: JYAI Kawasaki T-4s

Post by John Young »

I had actually thought about that Mike, at least for FS9 (the amount of part tagging in FSX would drive me mad). I guess the limitations are the taxiway width and a single line abreast or the take-off rotation would put the tails of the rear aircraft into the ground - not sure what happens with landing. Has anyone actually done it before? It might be easier with multiple AFCADs and parallel flight plans.

John
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by miljan »

Good choice John.There is a plenty of aircraft from Far East that are not represented in FS world.T-4 is , of course one of them. :)
VIVA LA VIDA
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes indeed Miljan. I also love the way the Japanese paint their aircraft. The two tone blue really adds depth to the model.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I too love this choice of model. This along with the F-1,T-2, F-2 and C-1 were all in my list of hopefuls rather than probables from Japan.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I rather fancy making the Shinmaywa US-2 flying boat. I know the JMSDF have 4 of them based at Iwakuni and Atsugi, but 18 I believe are on order by India. In addition to the land-based model with a retractable undercarriage, I'd love to do a water-based AI version as something a bit different. Unfortunately, you can't mix land and water based operations.

I've only got as far as reading and looking at photos so far. There is only one set of 3-views I can find on the net and these are of low quality. Do we have any Far East members please who might just have a Japanese aviation magazine with a better set of plans please?

I'm not saying I'll do it for sure, but I'd be a big step closer if I could only find those plans.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

That'll get my vote. :)
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The US-2 was on my doubtful list.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thinking about the amphibian operation thing to me the key question is whether xml can override the default gear operation. If it can't then you are screwed and you have to choose either water or land operations. My guess is that Kev is the best person to ask about whether you can override the gear operation like you can with the flap operation.

If you can the xml needs to be able to check whether the runway is water or not. If so then do not play a gear operation, if not then play a gear operation.
If it were possible the only complication is likely to be difference in contact points between the two modes. It might be possible to have a water runway below sea level so the aircraft sits on the water correctly.
Steve
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

There is a two way view here,

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/
Mark
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mark, I had already searched Blueprints.com - it's a very good site and usually my first port of call. The 2-view diagram there is far too small to be of much use. They do however have a good Shinmaywa PS-1 3-view. I don't yet know how that differs from the US-2 and whether I could use it or not.

Yes indeed that's the key to a land/water operation Steve. I'd need a bit of xml code that detects whether the runway is water or land and use that to trigger the gear down for land only. That might be tricky given that the AI engine would need to know that well before final approach. I'll certainly ask Kevin if I can get into the project after securing some suitable plans.

John

Update - should have checked my PMs before checking the forum. Click Click has also found the PS-1 3-view and has pointed out the differences with the US-2. I think I can amend the drawings and work from those if we can't find anything better.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

When I was designing the Merlin Kev did try to have the Merlin take off differently when on different surfaces, we were hoping to have one model for both VTOL and STOL operations. We found that FS has that option but only in non AI aircraft. Sorry to bring bad news.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

John Nick Black welded some of his models together for show purposes. They can't really be used as true AI as you mentioned the takeoff and landing limitations.

Instead the models fly from over the horizon waypoints and generally just do flybys.

However stripped down multiplayer versions or versions meant to be used with Recorder can be very fun indeed.

If you made a version with a diamond formation and left out one of the positions, then a user could try to fly themselves in that formation position using multiplayer or Recorder.

There are all sorts of possibilities.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

I picked two of the more involved T-4 paint schemes there are to test the Paint Kit John sent me. The F-2 scheme was the first one, and...

Things are moving along quite happily. The Paint Kit should be back in Johns hands shortly, once I tiddy up the mess I've made of it.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

This has been a useful topic. The T-4, as click says is moving on well with just a small amount of re-mapping needed before I do the FSX conversion. The idea for a T-4 flyby formation (at least for FS9) is interesting, although I might need some help setting it up in a flight plan. The Shin Meywa US-2 is looking promising too, at least for separate land and water-based operations.

John
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

John Young wrote:This has been a useful topic. The T-4, as click says is moving on well with just a small amount of re-mapping needed before I do the FSX conversion. The idea for a T-4 flyby formation (at least for FS9) is interesting, although I might need some help setting it up in a flight plan. The Shin Meywa US-2 is looking promising too, at least for separate land and water-based operations.

John
When I did the Australian Roulettes package, I had all 6 PC9 depart as singles, and fly out to an imaginary point at sea where they disappear. Then at the point they disappear the welded formation spawn and return for there fly past at East Sale, then go back out to sea disappear and you guessed it the six singles spawn and fly home. The package is below if you want to take a look.

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/download ... -east-sale
Mark
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Same method used in 6th Anniversary package and in the upcoming LIRE Airshow
Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just been enjoying the practice at East Sale. That's really clever. Thanks for posting the link Mark.

So if I am understanding this correctly, no AFCAD is required for the practice area (spawning area) but it must appear in the airports.txt for the formation flight plan.

I saw the formation wheels up problem when entering the game during the East Sale flybys. Could that be overcome by having each aircraft in the welded formation with it's own unique set of gear parts? I know the taxiway is not wide enough to accommodate a 6-ship formation and I assume that the formation would approach the flyby wheels down.

It's a lot of work to keep the individual gear assemblies and the size with LODs may exceed the limits of the compiler. It's probably better to just live with the limitation and not enter the game during the flyby time.

I'll make the welded formation, but I might need some help just setting it up. I like Mike's suggestion of the full 6 ship Blue Impulse formation and a 5 ship for the user to fly along - assuming there's a flyable T-4 out there of course. I'll do two alternatives I think.

John

John
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

John Young wrote:Just been enjoying the practice at East Sale. That's really clever. Thanks for posting the link Mark.

So if I am understanding this correctly, no AFCAD is required for the practice area (spawning area) but it must appear in the airports.txt for the formation flight plan.
Your welcome John, and yes you are correct do not supply an AFD just put the ICAO code and coordinates in the traffic file. The AI will then fly to the coordinates and disappear. The good thing is you can also start a flight at the dummy location and they will just spawn in flight.

It's an idea.
Mark
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

John Young wrote: - assuming there's a flyable T-4 out there of course.
In both FS9 and FSX native models. FS KBT made them.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

We kind of went quiet on this topic after an initial blast... so, just to let everyone know where it stands:

https://youtu.be/193RaOJQYcs

In case of people still suffering the new phpBB video code bug:

https://youtu.be/193RaOJQYcs