The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI Kawasaki T-4s

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: JYAI Kawasaki T-4s

Post by VulcanDriver »

Wow looks great :)
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Small status update:

Here's the last thing I typed before sending John a zip file this morning:

[fltsim.194]
title=Kawasaki T-4 304H 96-5623
sim=JYAI_Kawasaki_T4_AI_ONLY
model=Clean
texture=304H 96-5623
atc_airline=Tengu
atc_parking_types=MIL_COMBAT
atc_parking_codes=304H
ui_manufacturer=JYAI
ui_type=Kawasaki T-4
ui_variation=304H 5623
description=Kawasaki T-4. For AI Use only

So, now it's on to testing to make sure I didn't mess things up too badly.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

I used love making huge projects like this one, also Trainers are my favourite type of package. Have you made any flightplans? How many bases are this lot based at?
Mark
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Flight plans all all done.

Off the top of my head, basws represented are:

Ashiya
Chitose
Fukuoka
Gifu
Hyakuri
Hamamatsu
Iruma
Komatsu
Matsushima
Misawa
Naha
Nyutabaru
Tsuiki
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Wow, not seen that many bases in a package since the RAF Grob package, must be a trainer thing.
Mark
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

80 of them are dedicated trainers. 40 are used for HQ suppport flights or at the flght test center. The last 60 are assigned to F-15. F-2 and F-4 squadrons for use as liaison duties and as a cheaper means to get pilot flight hours than the tactical jets. F-4 units have twice as many compared to F-15 and F-2 units because of the cost of flying the F-4s.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just a quick update on the T-4 project. The FS9 aircraft are all done with a huge variety of paints from Click. I've just built the Blue Impulse hangar at Matsushima and the team are now parked there:

To complete the project, I want to have a go next at a welded formation, as previously suggested.

John Y
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by f4nutter »

really looking forward to these John.
fex
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by fex »

Really brilliant work guys, very impressed and .. :smt026
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The welded Blue Impulse formation was very easy to set up using Mark's East Sale as a template and it worked first time. The model itself was a bit more difficult because the polygon count has to be drastically reduced in order for a 6-ship model to compile within the limits. I had to settle on LOD3 from the singleton model as the primary LOD for the formation and degrade from there. The other problem was making the individual nose and tail numbers. That needed a second texture sheet and a lot of re-maping. Got there though:

Two questions:

1. As another option, Is it worth deleting say aircraft 4 so the user can fly in the formation? If it is how does the user join it, since there is no take-off?

2. Is it worth adding smoke and if so, do we have anything I could use please?

John Y.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

they look great John, i have some smoke effects from my red arrows you can use, red/white/blue ?

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks ever so much Ray. I've watched the latest Blue Impulse videos and note they fly with blue, green, yellow, red, but more commonly with plain white smoke. If I could have the white then, that would be great.

John
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Glad I could help John, they do look great.
Mark
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

In the Pratica airshow there are red, white, blue and green. Easy to modify in yellow

Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've put in an added tweak that might help. In Mark's East Sale set up, the formation appears on the ramp with no gear for the period of the display (about 40 minutes), but only if you start the sim mid-display. Mark does point that out in his manual. Mine did the same, but because I have stacked the formation so the aircraft behind the leader are progressively at a slightly lower altitude in order to have a straight ahead escape route in an emergency, as in the real world, half the formation is buried in the ground.

To make use of that, I then lowered all the aircraft below the datum. They still fly fine, but slightly low of centre in the traffic viewer window, but you can't see the formation on the ramp because they are buried. They will taxi out, but you can't see them until they spring into life as they rotate off the runway. I need to test what happens with smoke, but it might be the solution to the unwanted appearance on the ramp.

John Y.
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

'Morning John. Happy New Year. There is a package somewhere, that has a group that departs individually to a waypoint, dissapears to latter reappear as a welded flight, do their fly by's/airshow stuff and return back to the waypoint, disappears and later reappear as single aircraft to return to land. You could try that. Lewis
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

lewis wrote:'Morning John. Happy New Year. There is a package somewhere, that has a group that departs individually to a waypoint, dissapears to latter reappear as a welded flight, do their fly by's/airshow stuff and return back to the waypoint, disappears and later reappear as single aircraft to return to land. You could try that. Lewis
This is what I did for the Pratica Air Show package....

Giorgio
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

lewis wrote:'Morning John. Happy New Year. There is a package somewhere, that has a group that departs individually to a waypoint, dissapears to latter reappear as a welded flight, do their fly by's/airshow stuff and return back to the waypoint, disappears and later reappear as single aircraft to return to land. You could try that. Lewis
Yes Lewis, that is the way I do the low level flybys and missed IFR low approaches in my AI airshows. I have never seen the problem that John is experiencing, however I have never looked for it either. :lol:

One of the differences between what John is doing and what I do may be that he is having his welded formation fly its missed IFR approach to the actual airport, while I always have them fly to a dummy airport with its runway below ground level in order to get a lower missed approach just above the runway. This dummy airport has no parking, so no AI can park there and even if they could, they would be below ground level. :lol:

Another thought I just had was maybe if an aircraft radius too large for any of the parking spots at the airfield is applied to the welded formation it won't be able to park at the airport and therefore won't show up even when one starts in the middle of the airshow. :wink:
    Mike M.
    MIKE JG
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer
    Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

John make a new model with #4 removed. Just note for the users that it is specifically made for those who want to formate with the whole team acting as number 4.

Don't forget that a user can make use of the Recorder module to pre-record a flight, loops, barrel rolls, etc, then play that flight back while joining it in a user aircraft. In theory one could perform an entire airshow as the slot pilot if they pre-recorded an airshow with the Recorder module. It would take some doing but would be very cool.

Having the welded model formation actually is very helpful for smoothness and usability.
    -Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm doing this for the first time and starting with the process adopted by Mark for East Sale. It's also the same process that Lewis refers to with an off-shore waypoint in this case. The similarities in the scenarios is that the "display" is over the home airfield of the teams. I don't fully understand the technicalities of why the formation does what it does but the phenomenon that really puzzles me is why it appears on the ground if the situation is started mid display. There isn't a parking spot big enough to accommodate it and with a conventional AI aircraft and an undersized spot, it wouldn't appear at all. I don't think it's a big issue because it only happens for 40 minutes Mon-Thurs and then only if you start within those limits. Burying it when on the ground seems to work, but I have a feeling the smoke when added will be visible along the runway when the formation departs after the 40 minutes. I'm going to try that next and see what happens.....

Mike, how does the user join the formation - by taking off and joining it when it's overhead presumably?

John Y.