The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 10

Post by Firebird »

I will state my situation here as it is different from Martin.
I upgraded rather than a fresh install due to the fact that I doubt I could find all the programs to re-install everything.

I dislike intensely the Windows 10 look but I have not allowed that to cloud my decision.

I have found no proggies, yet, that do not work under 10. I have found that some need some changes to various settings but nothing unconquerable, so far.

I have found that search is abysmally slow under 10, and I think the blame can be put squarely on the abomination that is Cortana. However, I have caged Cortana and use the freeware portable Everything to search.

FS9 runs very well under 10. All FS9 utils run well under 10. For me despite some personal niggles I concluded that there is no reason to return to 7, even though I would like to introduce the person who came up with the current look to Mr. Baseball Bat.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Well I retrieved a PC that was on loan that has W7 professional installed, this is my multi media PC so will never be used for FS. It did a massive updatel, but then said that the updates had failed and had reverted back. Not all the updates failed so I'm wondering if W10 will have problems? The PC is an HP tower about 3 years old.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It is possible. What I would do is download the MS MediaCreationTool freely available which allows you to either update in place or create a bootable CD to do this.
There are two versions one for x64 and one for x32. My guess would be that if your PC is currently running x64 that it is unlikely to have problems, or at least less likely. I think that there is also a tool for checking for problems ahead of time as well.

A search for it will reveal where you can download it from. What I would suggest is that when upgrading is to reduce the amount of USB devices and software running to an absolute minimum. The only thing that I found a problem with was Daemon Tools hung the upgrade process at one point. When I shut it down it continued on fine.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Steve I removed all the programs on it and user accounts except admin so it's a basic W7 machine. Next step is to start W10 install either today or tomorrow. I've been asked to sit in on interviews for potential new residents at the retirement complex I live at today. Blimey its just like being at work again!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The more basic it is the quicker it will be and the less likely to have issues.
I didn't go that way with any of my installs, I just shutdown proggies that were running and had no issues other than daemon tools.

What might be worthwhile doing is downloading the latest win 10 graphics drivers for your card. Although the upgrade worked fine I noticed afterwards that I had some graphics issues and found that the graphics card drivers were not kept and it was just using default drivers. So I recommend downloading them in advance and installing the latest version as soon as the upgrade is finished
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

All went well, just wish you could change the desktop so it looks more like W7 can't stand the tiles! Now I need to find where everything is.
John

BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

The issue for me is still the Full Screen issue. Has this yet been resolved with any of the W10 updates of late. Unless I can run FS9 in full screen mode then I'm not upgrading.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

As I described in another post I had the issue and then fixed it by renaming the fs9.cfg and letting FS9 rebuild a new one. If you think about it a new startup is actually in full screen mode so you should not have the issue.

So after upgrade, install latest drivers then rename the cfg file and then let FS9 rebuild the cfg file. Once this works you should be able to compare the renamed and new cfg files and then copy over all the old parms with the exception of the graphics card section. I am convinced that this is the area that causes the issue.

In my case the difference was that the fs9.cfg had my old graphics card name and that didn't seem to matter under 7/8 but under 10 it does.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I see Microsoft is paying $10,000 compensation after wrecking a travel agent's Windows 7 computer with an unauthorised upgrade to Windows 10:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... stallation
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I wonder how you prove that you didn't authorise it?

I kinda get why MS is pushing 10 so hard, but back at the beginning when upgrading was an option one part of the upgrade tool was a check to see that your system would have no problems, bios, space etc.

Now I am not advocating forced upgrades but if you were rolling automatic upgrades, unless stopped, then you should at least ensure that the upgrade will be successful by doing the basic checks. This is how I knew I would have to increase my System Reserved partition.
It would be really smart if MS deployed a tool that ran checks and if it found issues then pop up with you can't upgrade until xyz is done and then flag the system so that it can't be updated until a re-check is done and the flag cleared. I think that a lot of 10 upgrade problems are caused by incompatible systems and these stories of course make the rest really nervous.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I know when my Windows 7 was contemplating upgrading itself to 10, it ran a compatibility check and told me that my Acronis 2011 Imaging software was not compatible. Since all my historic HD backup images use that program, I declined the upgrade, not that I really wanted to upgrade anyway.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Exactly what it should do. It should flag you as not compatible and not attempt an upgrade. It seems that this last part is what is missing.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Actually, despite that, it kept nagging me to upgrade even though there was an incompatibility. I assume that if it did, it would just render the program unusable. I eventually killed the nagging with the GWX Control Panel software that Mike M found.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yep, not very well thought out. It assumes that you will make yourself compatible. I read that they have finally altered the upgrade message so it is easier not to upgrade.

I have also read that the Anniversary update is to be available on Aug 2. Basically, if you don't go to 10 you have to pay for 10 and the Anniversary update. Whether the new update will be worth it or what changes that will bring I don't know.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I had to remove loads of W10 files that MS had put in the Windows folder, change an entry in the Registry so Windows 10 wasn't allowed to install, turned off the option to send data to MS to improve Windows experience (this tells MS you don't have W10) installed the GWX control panel and installed Never 10. Finally I found a Windows 7 update that was a MS spyware so MS knows what W7 PC hasn't been updated to W10.

Having said that my multi-media entertainment PC is on W10 and I'm impressed with it so far.

But I refuse to manage W10 on my FS9 machine.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The biggest drawback I have found yet, is that you will not be able to re-install FS9 or FSX under 10. For this you will need to keep a backup of the virgin installed copy of both with the NoCD patch applied.

In fact it might be useful if we had one of each safe for the whole group.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

The reason why my FS9 machine won't have W10 is that the hardware won't support it. Having spent two weeks earlier this year trying to install it I learnt my lesson.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah I remember your frustration well.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Steve, keeping a backup copy of the installed FS9 and FSX on a portable hard drive I understand, but after one or both are copied to the W10 hard drive, is it a simple task to register the program(s) with W10 so the .exe will run? Some related programs will obviously need the path in order to function - ADE and AFX for example.

I did install FSX on my grandson's W10 computer from the disks last year, but I'm wondering if that was before Microsoft put the spanner in the works.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes it is a simple thing to do.
There is a freeware flight1software tool that will recreate the registry entries and I believe that Martins' ADE-check proggy will also do that although he may need to confirm that he creates the key and not just alter it.
TweakFS also have freeware utils for both FSX and FS9.

I am curious as to how you got FSX to install as I understood that FSX uses the same CD security that FS9 does, i.e. you need the cd in a drive, and that has been disabled with the release version of 10.

The steam version would be different as it doesn't go near a CD. Could you confirm that it was the release version of 10 and it was the CD version of FSX? If it was then I have been under a misapprehension for a year now.
Steve