The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Scenery request

Post all your development discussions here that don't fit into any of the above categories.
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Scenery request

Post by JohnTenn »

@Andy

Putting political correctness aside, what happens here is that a group of folks start a project and hopefully see it through to completion. Real life happens and the folks contributing to the project have to deal with real life issues first. Development stops for a while and hopefully continues to completion.

If after a request, as you placed, you receive links or suggestions to find stuff already done and nothing else, you can safely assume that you can make your own. In many cases there are pay-ware offerings which can be modified to suit your needs.

Let necessity be the mother of invention and make your own, and hopefully contribute to the community.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No. We are not saying that there will be no more official packages. Just that in the past that was all we did, now we are more about encouraging everybody to do a little bit of what they can to produce quality releases for the community. We reserve the right to produce full packages when we have the resources.

In short the reason for the change is that we ran short of, in no particular order, testers, modellers, painters and flight planners. For example at the moment I can think of several projects that are stuck due to a lack of painters.

If we stuck to the original model of doing things then new stuff would have dried up. Now we act more of a cheerleader and conduit for the talent of the community. If you look at the releases this year, how much would you have seen if we had not changed?
Steve
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Steve,

I have no great skill as a painter, mostly I've been learning a little for my own amusement, uploading a few that I thought were not too awful. Which projects are held up by a lack of painters? If not me, then maybe someone with the appropriate skills might be able to volunteer..

Jon G
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Jon.
We appreciate your willingness to help and lets face it tomorrows megapainters have to start somewhere.

What sort of work have you done so far? Is it that you have added serials or sqn markings onto somebody elses work or is it that you have started with the paintkit and you think that you just lack the necessary skills or knowledge?
Steve
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

To be honest it's mostly been GA so far, inspired by my proximity to White Waltham. The stuff that's made it to Avsim can be found by searching 'gowing'; it seems I'm the only one.. MAIW standards are so very high, but for example I'd love to have a crack at Aerogators Beech 18. I'm slowly getting my head around layers and shadows..

Jon G
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The key thing is to get hold of the paintkit. They contain all the layers and some of them you will never touch, like panel lines, shadows, national markings etc.
If you haven't got a copy of the Beech paintkit and want to practice it might be worth contacting Jake for a copy of it and he will be able to tell about the different layers, if he painted it himself, or have info about them, if somebody else created it.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I admire people who can manipulate paint packages. Me, I am more autistic than artistic when it comes to creative matters.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I'm always amazed by the increasingly high standards of the textures guys here. I for one would welcome new painters, JonG crack on many of our models have paintkits so practice on those.

Cheers
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Firebird wrote:No. We are not saying that there will be no more official packages. Just that in the past that was all we did, now we are more about encouraging everybody to do a little bit of what they can to produce quality releases for the community. We reserve the right to produce full packages when we have the resources.

In short the reason for the change is that we ran short of, in no particular order, testers, modellers, painters and flight planners. For example at the moment I can think of several projects that are stuck due to a lack of painters.

If we stuck to the original model of doing things then new stuff would have dried up. Now we act more of a cheerleader and conduit for the talent of the community. If you look at the releases this year, how much would you have seen if we had not changed?
What projects are stuck
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well I can name two that I am trying to push. Firstly the update of our original IDF Ben Gurion package to include JYs RC-12s instead of some of the B200s. Secondly, the update to our USAF Boeing E3 package to include the wonderful E-3 model by Juan Gonzalez and the MAIW KC-135 model.
There are some other packages involving new stuff that are currently nearing completion. What they are I won't say as it is up to those involved to have the honour of making official announcements.
Steve
Sandy06

Post by Sandy06 »

Scenery Library's for MIAW Randolph AFB_Desmond Berrell. I am looking for the library containing the Hangers
Sandy06

Post by Sandy06 »

The Scenery Library for MAIW Randolph AFB contains Library's specific to the Randolph scenery package; hangers are there but in long rows (three rows, one each for east side south side and east side). I am trying to locate the individual scenery items
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Many times, with complex sceneries, repeated objects are combined into single objects to improve frame rates. So, there may not be a library that only contains the single hangar.