The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI P-8 Poseidon and B-737 AEW&C

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

JYAI P-8 Poseidon and B-737 AEW&C

Post by John Young »

Mod comment: this topic is split from another P-8 topic.

Apologies Jake, but snap - we have two!

I rather thought that since you hadn't posted for nine months and you had problems for a couple of years with the design, that you might have abandoned the project.

Here's my effort in FS9 (I want to do FSX also):

The first LOD is all done, including the animation. The FDE is working well, but as you can see the aircraft is not yet textured:

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: P-3 Orion on the way out, need the P-8

Post by VulcanDriver »

Wow. Can it be easily made in to a Wedgetail as well? We badly need both in the AI world.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes, I'd like to do that too John. The Wedgetail (Boeing 737 AEW&C) is quite a bit shorter and has a different wing. I don't really want to have to repeat the intricacy of the flap/spoiler animation from scratch, but hopefully I can use what I've done for the P8A and reshape outside of that. I know what fuselage and wings to use and I can find 3-view drawings of both. It would be good though to have a 3-view of the Wedgetail itself, but so far I haven't found one.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi John that's made my day. I'm easily pleased ;)
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by Manschy »

Each time a new big surprise - unbelievable work as always, John!
Regards, Manfred.
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by jimrodger »

John Young wrote:Yes, I'd like to do that too John. The Wedgetail (Boeing 737 AEW&C) is quite a bit shorter and has a different wing. I don't really want to have to repeat the intricacy of the flap/spoiler animation from scratch, but hopefully I can use what I've done for the P8A and reshape outside of that. I know what fuselage and wings to use and I can find 3-view drawings of both. It would be good though to have a 3-view of the Wedgetail itself, but so far I haven't found one.

John
Close but no cigar!!!

http://www.southernskymodels.com.au/ima ... 20late.jpg

Jim

I've a few contacts in the RAAF, mostly in P3/P8 community unfortunately. I'll try and get in touch and see if they can help us out..
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That looks a very useful pic showing which parts of the fuselage that get removed, Jim.

Do you happen to know if there is a bigger version of that so that JY doesn't have to squint.
Steve
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Wish you had checked with me first John. That's why we have these design forums. I've put a lot of work in on this one but I'll turn it over to you now.
I hope you go ahead and get it out. It looks good. 8)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Jake, I'm not feeling good about this one. It's down to me misinterpreting the post in your JAI P-8 Poseidon thread of July 2013 in which you wrote:

"This is something that's in my projects file. It will be a while before I can do any more on it but if someone wants to take it over I will send them my source files. Or if anyone wants to contribute parts such as the engines or the flaps/spoilers, that would be OK too. Otherwise, don't hold your breath. : Right now I just don't have the mental stamina it takes to complete a complicated model. Thanks for everyone's understanding and patience. :)"

It was your "don't hold your breath" and "if someone wants to take it over" statements that empowered me to have a go myself, particularly after a time lapse of 3 years with no further activity reported in the thread. I saw this thread (P3 Orion on the way out) some days after I started, but by then the ball was rolling. It wasn't until you posted on the 28 July that the alarm bell really rang.

I'd be disappointed not to bring my model to fruition, but I could turn it into the Wedgetail, while you continue with the P-8A if you would like to do that. I wanted to make the FSX version of the P-8A, but to do that I would prefer to make the FS9 one first and convert to FSX native code from there, as I usually do. It's not easy to convert the other way if the FS9 model was ever needed, if I go straight for FSX. Are you able to do both FS9 and FSX versions of the P-8A?

What can we do between us? I can't provide you with parts because mine are GMax and you I think are using FSDS. Converting through MCX will cause more hassle than it's worth.

John
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

You're right John about that earlier post and I do have a lot of stuff lying around unfinished. But hey, it's all good. Go ahead with the P-8. Sorry if I sounded hurt. It was just a surprise. I love your work and I'm pleased you are doing this model.
I would rather you finish it than try to make it a joint project. I'm not good right now about being able to hold up my end and I think it could turn into a disappointment for us both.
Once again, thanks for all of your work! Go get 'em! :D
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thank you Jake, that's very generous of you. I know you must feel annoyed and for that I really do apologise. I was as surprised as you when you saw my screen shots as I was when I saw yours. I honestly thought because of the lack of progress in 3 years in your primary post and again after 9 or 10 months in the secondary one, that you had abandoned the project. I'm probably my own worst enemy, because I design fast and I can finish the first LOD before I realise I've caused a problem.

Before I open a new Gmax file in the future, I'll post my intentions on the internal design forum and give other designers the opportunity to steer me away if that's needed.

John
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

It's all good brother. :)
Can't wait for it and the Osprey!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The first 6 Poseidon FS9 examples for VX-1 and VX-20 at Patuxent River are all done, apart from the LODs. There are 3 models:

- Clean (pylons)
- 4 x AGM-84E SLAMs (I think those are OK, if not I can reduce the length to the more common AGM-84D).
- 1 x Advanced Airborne Sensor pod:

The real world aircraft have a high gloss finish that I've added to the airframe and it really shines with the sun square on. I hope that's not too much, but I can adjust easily if users prefer it less so:

This is 167951 of VX-20, Air Test and Evaluation Squadron, carrying the Advanced Airborne Sensor (AAS pod).
I don't know if the pod is in general service use now:

All 3 models have leading and trailing edge flaps. Each trailing set is composite with the lower section sliding into the upper one, (including 20% lowering for take-off):

For stopping power, not only does the aircraft have the composite flaps, but spoilers and thrust reversers too:

My intention is to make the Australian and Indian examples, but I'm not sure how far to go with the US Navy ones. Brent has given me serial numbers for 70 aircraft at Jacksonville NAS (VP-5 VP-8, VP-10, VP-16, VP-30 and VP-45) and I have found 3 more for VP-26. The problem is that the Google Earth Image of Jacksonville shows no visible P-8As (Dec 2015). while Flash Earth imagery shows 7 aircraft on the ramp.VP-5 and VP-8 however, tend to be deployed on temporary duty overseas from time to time.

I need to have a chat with Des (reconmmercs) who made the AFCAD and traffic files for the original MAIW Jacksonville to see how the aircraft could best be placed and how many. In the meantime I'll move on to making the LODs and the FSX models.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

:shock: :smt041 :smt041 :smt118
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

fantastic work YET again John!
Dave
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

From what I understand the RAF ones will be standard P-8As with standard US weapons initially but that is a couple of years away yet.
Steve
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Absolutely astonishing! You been able to transform an anonymous jetliner in a warmachine. It lacks only a sharkmouth...maybe one day :shock: :shock: :shock:
- Maurizio C.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

They look great John! You know, I still can't see how this a/c can replace the P-3 for anti-sub work and being able to loiter for hours on two engines. The world has changed however, and different tactics may be the answer. :? Can't wait to see these in my sim. Thanks for the great work! :D
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Love it and can't wait to see it in RAF grey :D

One small request, can there be a clean version without the pylons.
On pure ASW missions the SLAM/Harpoon wouldn't be fitted and the pylons probably be removed.

many, many thanks

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

aerogator wrote:They look great John! You know, I still can't see how this a/c can replace the P-3 for anti-sub work and being able to loiter for hours on two engines. The world has changed however, and different tactics may be the answer. :? Can't wait to see these in my sim. Thanks for the great work! :D
Simples! Cost.
Cheaper to mod some civvie plane that exists than to build from scratch.

Tactics has nothing to do with it.
Steve