The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Windows 10

Post by John Young »

I'm assuming it was the release version of W10 Steve. I purchased it 30 September 2015 and it came already installed on the laptop by the supplier. I don't have the laptop here so I can't check the W10 version number, but it's specified on the invoice as "Win 10 High End KK3-000" if that means anything. I don't have the windows disks - just a recovery disk.

I had a spare copy of FSX and I was able to install it in the usual way from the disks.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I would doubt that a new laptop would have a pre-release version on there so it would seem that maybe you can install FSX on Windows 10 from CDs.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gents,
For those that have Windows 10 I have a couple of things to report.
Firstly, The Anniversary update, or Redstone, has had a couple of updates from the initial release last week. These are mainly to fix the problems that some people had after installing Redstone, i.e. System hanging around 20 secs after reboot.

The version number for Redstone is 1607 and the original release was build number 14393.10 but the latest fixes bring it up to 14393.51

I recommend the best way to update is to use the MediaCreationTool from MS. It downloads the latest release build to your PC and gives you the option to either create an install iso for DVD/USB or to update your PC. You can use it to have a fresh install or to install the latest build and keep your files and settings. The MCT does download build 14393.51 as I tested it out myself this afternoon.
Now as of this morning MS seem to have taken down the link to the tool prefering to give you the option of downloading specific build iso files instead. Not as flexible as the MCT as you can see.

So if anybody missed the chance to download the tool, some places may still have it, and wants it I can send it to them.

Lastly, I don't expect that anybody here has set their system to be on the MS fast ring beta test, but if you are beware MS themselves have said that the early Redstone 2 builds are about restructuring Windows and you can expect more problems than usual betas.

The only FS issue that I have found with Redstone is that it loses the CH Products hardware. It means having to unplug the devices, uninstall the CH Control Manager proggie and re-install. The latest v4.55a works fine.
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

Thanks for the info Steve. Have just done a total backup of all my PC's in readiness for Redstone. Unlike some here
I seem to have had a relatively easy transition from w7 to w10, but I think that is more due to the fact that all my
PC's are fairly up to-date as far as hardware is concerned. Might take the plunge tomorrow.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

A useful tip that I have had in place for years, no matter what OS you use is to partition up your HD/HDs.

I always keep my C: drive as clean as possible for the OS and for the annoying apps that don't give you a choice of where to install.
I have a D: drive on which I keep all applications that have to be installed. Now if you lose your registry you still have to re-install everything but at least you know what you have to install and maybe you can keep various settings, e.g. EditVoicepackData.xml so that you can rebuild your EVP.
Finally I always have an E: drive which is where I have my data and my portableapps, apps that don't need/use registry entries.

Using this system, the only way you can lose everything is if all the partitions are on the same drive and you have a drive failure. In that case a backup is essential.
If you are a person that doesn't think that partitions are good or just can't be bothered you really are playing against the odds.

I have a boot SSD, 8 partitions on a 2GB HD and my FS scenery on a nother SSD. I can't tell you how much that seemed to speed up FS having the scenery on a separate drive.
Steve
Jive1
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Jive1 »

Windows 10 is as good as the other windows systems before. At least for FS9!
The problem with Windows 10 is, that it is completely different in manipulation from previous systems, and sometimes one must look hard after finding the right way to execute what was necessary....
Give me Windows 10 with the ease of XP or of Windows 7
Jive1 - Belgium
Windows 10 Home NLD 64bit Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 1600
NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 1024MB 1920 x 1080 NVIDIA High Definition Audio
C:\ NTFS 120,12GB 95,81GB 8 170MB
Redbull AV and Redbull Firewall
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think, after some months of using it, my biggest problems with 10 were the look of the gui and that search was that the built-in search was so frickin' slow.

As my Redstone update was done using the MCT, I believe that it clears a lot of legacy c**p out from when I upgraded initially from 7, much like the old XP rebuild used to, i.e. leaves your files and settings but replaces all the OS stuff.

Explorer Search is now a hell of a lot faster but I will continue to use Everything for searches. This just leaves the gui. I have patched a few things to make the colours more palatable but I don't like the latest version of the start menu and I do miss the Glass look from 7.

I have also installed Clover to enable tabs in the explorer window. RocketDock still works but quite a few things run weird when started from there and I had to change the compatibility settings for those apps.

As for the App Store I have used it only once and that was to get the latest version of Wunderlist.

Maybe my biggest bugbear now is that to use the app store you have to sign in with your MS account so it forces you to have a hotmail/outlook account and then you have to use that to log in to Windows. Initially once you set up your App Store it is also forced you to login in every time but you can set up a default login, which is what I have done.

My big thing with MS is the registry. They took the idea from the Amiga, in which everything could have a settings txt file in a certain place, and forced people to use this database instead. Which if you get a corruption can render your PC useless.
I would prefer them to have an option to make the whole thing more accessible, i.e text based, this would be slower to load but users would have far less problems.
I also think that the Amiga system of loading the env variables (registry) into memory on start up so you could make changes that would be lost on reboot enables people to try settings out w/o screwing their system would be good. However this would make the system more open and user friendly and I can't see them ever doing that.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Turned on my W7 PC this morning and got the message Windows 10 failed to install. I was hoping this force feeding of W10 would have ceased now the free upgrade has stopped, but alas it hasn't. I hate M$ only decent thing they've done was the Flight Sim series!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote:I think, after some months of using it, my biggest problems with 10 were the look of the gui and that search was that the built-in search was so frickin' slow.

As my Redstone update was done using the MCT, I believe that it clears a lot of legacy c**p out from when I upgraded initially from 7, much like the old XP rebuild used to, i.e. leaves your files and settings but replaces all the OS stuff.

Explorer Search is now a hell of a lot faster but I will continue to use Everything for searches. This just leaves the gui. I have patched a few things to make the colours more palatable but I don't like the latest version of the start menu and I do miss the Glass look from 7.

I have also installed Clover to enable tabs in the explorer window. RocketDock still works but quite a few things run weird when started from there and I had to change the compatibility settings for those apps.

As for the App Store I have used it only once and that was to get the latest version of Wunderlist.

Maybe my biggest bugbear now is that to use the app store you have to sign in with your MS account so it forces you to have a hotmail/outlook account and then you have to use that to log in to Windows. Initially once you set up your App Store it is also forced you to login in every time but you can set up a default login, which is what I have done.

My big thing with MS is the registry. They took the idea from the Amiga, in which everything could have a settings txt file in a certain place, and forced people to use this database instead. Which if you get a corruption can render your PC useless.
I would prefer them to have an option to make the whole thing more accessible, i.e text based, this would be slower to load but users would have far less problems.
I also think that the Amiga system of loading the env variables (registry) into memory on start up so you could make changes that would be lost on reboot enables people to try settings out w/o screwing their system would be good. However this would make the system more open and user friendly and I can't see them ever doing that.
Have to agree with you. I personally hate the GUI all those ruddy boxes clattering the screen. Wish there was a way of having a cleaner look to it. Although I only use my W10 machine for media not anything else. To my eyes and ears Videos and Music look and sound better on W10. I've plugged it into my 42" HD TV so I expect that helps a tad.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

VulcanDriver wrote:Have to agree with you. I personally hate the GUI all those ruddy boxes clattering the screen. Wish there was a way of having a cleaner look to it. Although I only use my W10 machine for media not anything else. To my eyes and ears Videos and Music look and sound better on W10. I've plugged it into my 42" HD TV so I expect that helps a tad.
I think that you may still have the full start menu on.

Go into the Settings>Personalisation>Start and see if your 'Use Start full screen' is switched on. If it is switch it off and you will be back with the something approaching the 7 menu.
The only options I have switched on there are:-
'Show most used apps' and 'Show recently used apps'

I have also removed an awful lot of those frickin' tiles as they are bl**dy annoying and mostly useless.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Found another bonus for Windows 10......
Just built another system, and rather than re-install just wanted to switch the disk across.
With Windows 7 it's a nightmare, Windows 10 you just put the disk in the new system and fire it up.
After it gets to the desktop go to the device manager, select view hidden devices, then delete all the 'greyed' out entries (these are drivers from the old system).
Interestingly the new system has aquired the Windows is activated status of the old system, the old system (being used by my eldest) needed a new license key and then it activated.
Seems to go against Microsofts 'valid for the life of the device' when you upgrade to Windows 10.
I expected it to be the other way around, so I had already bought a new Windows 10 DVD.
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

I avoided Windows 10 for as long as I could, but when my old pc finally croaked I bit the bullet. The anticipated nightmare has been largely avoided (so far), in part I think because it was a new clean installation in a new pc, but also helped by reading the forums here, so thank you all. FS9 works, full screen, I've reloaded all my scenery and it looks good with nice frame rates, apart from Sigonella, which causes an instant CTD when loading that airport; it was fine previously, still getting to the bottom of that one..

My main problem is with the aircraft folder. I know, if we have a lot of AI, FS9 loading greatly slows down, but my old Windows 7 pc managed everything in under 10 minutes. Now, the new one loads a fraction of the planes in a much longer time. Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT

Beginning to answer my own question.. tried with just my MAIW (about 100) plus the default aircraft and FS9 loaded very quickly, in a few seconds. Clearly there's a rogue plane or planes that W10 is taking exception to..

Jon G
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am experiencing another issue with my PC at the moment. Not the boot disk but everything else. I have acquired some very useful knowledge concerning HDs which once I get back online again I will impart to you all.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK Gents, A potential useful piece of information here for PC rebuilds with W10 installed..

My recent PC issues, which will be in another post, meant that I had to retrieve and rebuild a HD which did NOT contain my boot disk.

No problem, as I have have had to do this many times in the past with XP and 7. Retrieve the data, recreate the program partition, copy the data back and hey presto everything will work as before.

Not so fast. Something has changed under W10, whether it came with W10 or Redstone I am not sure.
As I said I rebuilt the drive and its partitions but when I started the PC certain proggies ran abysmally slowly or not at all. What I noticed was that all the proggies that I had pinned to the Start menu were still there but they were not recognised as being valid links. I had to find each proggie, right click on the icon and 'Unpin from Start' and then right click and 'Pin to start' to reset up the link.
Only then would the programs open properly. What I also found was that one program (not in the start menu) started - stated that it was not installed properly - and exited. I checked the apps setting but there was no repair option. When I reinstalled over the top of the current location it all worked fine.

With what little info I have I think that somehow under W10 links are made and it references the hardware that they are installed on. So new HD, new links need to be created. Again with what little info I have it doesn't seem to be purely down to the GUI interface. I think the second issue I had suggests a hardware link in at least some registry entries as well.

So if you have a separate boot and work disks be prepared for some tidy up work afterwards.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gents,

This is for those of you that installed Windows 10 but deliberately avoided updating to the next major versions, November Update and Anniversary Update.

This will mean that you are on Windows 10 version 1507. Support for the original version of Windows 10 has now expired. This means that you will no longer get updates to it.
To continue to get bug fixes and security patches you now need to upgrade to either the November Update (version 1511), the Anniversary Update (version 1607- Redstone I), and the Creators Update (version 1703- Redstone II).
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

How the heck do I get rid of nag message that tells me Windows 10 failed to install. It comes up in W7 software update panel everyone. Is there something in the registry I can hack to get rid of it. It's been doing it since last year!!
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Is this the error? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... e9447c4f81

It sounds like you although you don't want to upgrade you already have the installation files on your PC and so it tries to install every time. Does this sound correct?
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

There is also a little executable available which will then make sure your system never again downloads the setup files for WIN10. I believe the name is "never10.exe" if you google it you should be able to D/L.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Its not an issue any more as there is no longer a free upgrade. In fact now you will no longer get updates for 7 at all.
Steve
cufcskim
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cufcskim »

Firebird wrote: 17 May 2017, 17:24 In fact now you will no longer get updates for 7 at all.
Well that's nonsense... Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020.

What has ended is what Microsoft call Mainstream Support, which means MS no longer actively upgrades the OS. Security fixes and patches remain in place until the above date. In fact they still openly sell commercial PCs with 7Pro and will do for the foreseeable future.