The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JY Osprey at Mildenhall v2 in FSX

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

JY Osprey at Mildenhall v2 in FSX

Post by hobby »

I have put all the scenery, AFCAD and traffic files in the recommended places but I see no Mildenhall traffic whatsoever!

It may be that I have missed out on the basic FSX AI key presses. Can anyone suggest corrective action to be taken to make John Young's FSX traffic files for the Osprey function correctly?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: JY Osprey at Mildenhall v2 in FSX

Post by John Young »

if you have installed the FSX formatted traffic files in the Osprey package hobby and you can't see any AI at all at Mildenhall, chances are that you have a rogue FS9-formatted traffic file covering the catchment area. That will effectively kill all FSX AI in the area. I would suggest a scan of your traffic files in FSX\scenery\world\scenery and any local scenery folders that might have traffic files, with AI Flight Planner.

John
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

Thanks for the pointer John. I have searched the FSX Scenery/World/Scenery for errant FS9 traffic files and drawn a blank.

I have checked my installation of all the Mildenhall v2 files and the Osprey files - all seems to be in order.

I do use Ultimate Traffic2 which has AI airliners flying to timetables all over the FSX world, could that program affect the Mildenhall AI traffic?

I am somewhat stumped.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

If you are using FSX and you see no traffic then there are only a few number of causes.
Before we go to that the main thing here is that nobody else has reported the issue so either nobody using FSX has installed the package or you have got an installation issue.

I think that the second reason is more likely.
If you have checked using a tool such as AIFP let us know which one.

Another reason could be that the aircraft size is too big for the parking spots. Unlikely in this case as somebody else would have had the issue.
The third reason is that you have no parking spots on an afcad, which means that either you haven't installed the afcad or you have one with no parking spots loaded later than our one.

If you want to check your installation you can use the proggy ACA2007 lite or ACA2013. ACA2007 will quickly check your fltsim entries and ACA2013 will cross check between your aircraft entries and your traffic files to find errors.

Finally, and it has happened, the traffic percentage is so low that no aircraft will appear but Mildenhall would not be the only place affected.
Steve
Christopher Low
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Christopher Low »

I do use Ultimate Traffic2 which has AI airliners flying to timetables all over the FSX world, could that program affect the Mildenhall AI traffic?
Ultimate Traffic 2 uses a completely separate (outside FSX) engine to generate the AI planes, so it is extremely unlikely that it would affect BGL style AI traffic. I use UT2 alongside loads of BGL traffic files, and they both work perfectly together.
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

Thank you for your help gentlemen. I am pleased that UltimateTraffic 2 has been proven not to affect MAIW traffic.

During the past two days I have noted all of the helpful suggestions regarding EGUNv2 plus the USAF Ospreys. I have uninstalled and re-installed the USAF Ospreys plus the Mildenhallv2 scenery more than once. All to no avail - With the airfield scenery alone I can see the Mildenhall aircraft parked. When the Ospreys and FSX traffic files plus the new AFX parking spots are added the airfield appears but no aircraft are visible at Mildenhall on my setup.

I have to admit defeat here so I have removed all references to Mildenhall on my FSX setup.

I am finding it difficult to concentrate at present since I am trying to deal with the early treatment for a DVT behind my left knee. Too much flightsimming?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

What you are describing hobby rather convinces me that you have a mix of FS9 and FSX traffic files in your FSX installation. I've seen the problem so many times before.

If the MAIW scenery is live and the aircraft are installed and you have 100 per cent FSX traffic files for the Ospreys, the MAIW C-130s and KC-135s, then all should be fine. Here they all are playing happily together in my FSX:

I would try temporarily removing all traffic files apart from the MAIW Mildenhall file and my Osprey traffic file and see what happens. If there's still a problem scan both of these files to ensure they are in FSX format. If there's no problem then scan the files you temporarily removed. I would also switch off UltimateTraffic 2 while you do this if you can.

John
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

Perseverence pays off!

After John's last message I had another look in my FSX Scenery/World/Scenery file and found three FS9 traffic files not actually labelled Traffic Monarch etc. Having deleted those I re-installed the USAF Ospreys and Mildenhall v2 changing the parking file and the Traffic files to FSX format.

Much joy when I found Mildenhall and Osprey, c130 and 135 traffic exactly as they should be.

I was surprised to find any remnants of my previous FS9 installation still existing on my FSX installation, can't understand how that happened.

Still have a common problem with W10 - seems to make FSX malfunction and crash when one changes the time and sometimes when on changes the location from the default airfield.

Once again thanks to all the MAIW users who identified my problem.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Glad you got it fixed hobby. If I had a pound for every time I've got people to find and remove FS9-formatted traffic files from FSX so their traffic appears, I'd be a rich man LOL. Can't speak for Windows 10 and FSX alas.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

It happens, I have a pretty good system for converting packages to work in FSX. Somehow, even with AIFP, I had a FS9 traffic.bgl file slip in and ruin my newly installed V-22's at NKX and NYL.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

This is yet another reason why people should use AIFP. It has a 'Find FS9 Traffic Files' function.

It really is one of those indispensable tools.
Steve