The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Edit Voicepak

Post all your development discussions here that don't fit into any of the above categories.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Edit Voicepak

Post by VulcanDriver »

Ah yes the default program folder is a bugger. That's why I have all my FS9 stuff on a separate HD so W7 can't apply its UACs by default. Never had any problems.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Thanks for all your insights and help, very much appreciated. I tried another experiment last evening. I normally initiate FS9 from a desktop shortcut. I didn't do anything special with the desktop shortcut compatibility; no check marks by "run this program in compatibility mode" or "run this program as administrator". When I use the shortcut with UAC set at default level, all scenery present. However when I set UAC to its lowest setting, and use the desktop shortcut, scenery disappears. As an example the latest version of Mildenhall is gone but Lakenheath remains. The experiment last night was to leave the UAC at default and load FS9 directly from the fs9.exe file. I right clicked on this file and selected "Run as Administrator" and scenery disappeared again. When I went back to using the desktop shortcut, everything was back where it belonged. I haven't started drinking heavily, but that may not be far off. That is why I'm trying to find out if .NET Fremawork 1.1 and 4.6.1 conflict. Is Editvoicepack finding and using .NET Framework 1.1. Hope it doesn't come to a complete re-install. Plan to keep testing different combination of thing. Thanks again for your help, I'm learning a lot and appreciate it.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The .NETs do not conflict. I have all the .NETs installed. They are designed to run separately and they are not new versions like most proggies.

If you run from a desktop shortcut try this.
Lower the UAC. Create a new desktop shortcut. Try running that. It maybe that the shortcut is causing the problem.

Now the one thing I am not sure about is whether the lowering of the UAC cured your EVP issue? It seems that it may have been left when you had the scenery issue.
Have you tried lowering the UAC, updating EVP, then loading FS9 (ignoring completely the missing scenery for a moment) and seeing if you get callsigns that you were not previously getting?
Lets establish whether you have two issues or only one with the UAC lowered.

On the re-installation it is really not a big deal. The reason is that if you copy your C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 folder and your C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Flight Simulator Files folder in their entirety first then you will not lose any cfg or flt data.
Then when you reinstall FS9 the registry is pointing to the correct place and then all you need to do is copy the entire saved/renamed \Flight Simulator 9 folder OVER the top of the new installation.
This means that any scenery, aircraft or other mods you have made will be restored. The last thing is to copy your two saved folders mentioned earlier over the top of the newly installed folders on the C: drive and you will have your original configs and setups when you run your newly installed FS9.
This does not take that long.

However, an even easier way would be to simply copy the whole \Flight Simulator 9 folder to a new partition/disk and then use one of the tools to set the FS9 path to the new location.
You may then have to set the odd support app to the new location if it is hard coded rather than uses the registry. The only other issue I can see is if were to uninstall FS9 the uninstaller might not work.
Steve
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Steve,
Once again thanks for the help and direction. I'll test your suggestions over the weekend, not enough time in the day at the moment. I'll let you know what I learn

Paul
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Steve,
Did some additional troubleshooting and learned some interesting things. When the UAC is set to the lowest setting, turned off, the custom and standard callsigns work, however addon scenery disappear. When I turn off the UAC and I start FS9 it starts generating scenery indexes and goes through that routine. With FS9 running and I select Settings, then Scenery Library there are 120 scenery objects shown. Now, when I switch UAC back to default and start FS9, there is no indication of building scenery indexes. However with UAC set to default, custom callsigns no longer work however when I start FS9 and go to Settings and select Scenery Library, there are now 298 object in the library. This happens regardless of the desktop shortcut used. So it feels like something changed at some point in time that is causing this issue. My suspicion is that I will have to go the re-install route.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Interesting.
So if I understand this correctly lowering the UAC does indeed fix your original problem with EVP. This is good news and is what was expected.
However, the fix has introduced a new problem the missing scenery.

Would you mind zipping up and sending me your scenery.cfg file from your FS9 folder and your FS9.cfg file from your C:\Users\?????\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 folder so I can have a look and see. You never know I might be able to spot an issue.
If you could also let me know the exact path name of the FS9 folder it would be a help and also an example of an addon scenery that is there with UAC on and missing with UAC off, plus an addon that is available in either case it would be helpful.
Also if you could confirm that only addon scenery is missing.

What I am curious about is why some addons are fine and some are not, as if 120 scenery entries are there why some show and some do not.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For those interested in this issue that Paul is having, and you never know who else will get(or is) affected. I found out something very interesting.

Paul's installation location is the default one and there is subject to UAC restrictions, if you have it on full.
This was what was causing his EVP issues.

On the scenery front comparing his two scenery.cfg files something was immediately obvious. The one in his C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 folder was far larger than the one in his \Flight Simulator 9 folder. All the missing scenery was listed in the one in the appdata file and were absent from his FS9 folder one.

So the only logical fit for all the information is that FS9 does not have authority to update the scenery.cfg file under UAC and is reading the newscenery.cfg created by the change and updating the scenery.cfg in the appdata folder.

What seems to be happening is that FS9 is loading the scenery from the appdata file whilst under UAC and when that is turned down/switched off it is loading it from FS9 folder - hence the missing scenery.

I have not heard of this behaviour before and is completely weird to me if I am correct. It would seem that if UAC is on full then maybe you have to have FS9 have admin rights but I have not seen this before.

If correct then the solution to Paul's issues are simple. Turn down UAC and then copy the scenery.cfg from the appdata folder to replace the one in the FS9 folder.

Has anybody come across this behaviour/issue before? This really is the definitive case for not installing FS9/FSX in the default location on any OS higher than XP.
Steve