The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RPP_FPGen SUPPORT THREAD

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: RPP_FPGen SUPPORT THREAD

Post by Greg »

Thanks Jim! That's something that has preventing me from using it more as I was tired of editing all the flight levels manually afterwards (also because they're completely random and often way too high or low for the given flight distance).
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by shaggy22 »

Many thanks Jim, certainly makes things much easier now
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Hi guys, sorry for the late post on this old thread. I have just now tried to use this utility.
When pressing ALT and F8 to generate flightplans, nothing happens. I get a security warning but I enabled "blocked content". Also, the spreadsheet opens in "compatibility mode" whatever that is. Can someone please tell me what I've missed?
I have read the User Manual, but I still could have missed something. :oops:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

OK, firstly I think that as a lot of time has passed since the release of this workbook that there are newer versions of excel so we need to know what version you are using.

Secondly the ALT+F8 does one thing which is open the macros menu.

Finally, the compatibility mode means that your version recognises that the original version is in an old format. To get rid of that you will need to save it in a new format that is compatible with VB macros. To be honest unless you absolutely have to you don't need to sort this out.
Steve
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

"the ALT+F8 does one thing which is open the macros menu"
OK, I'm not real familiar with Excel and I don't know what a macro is. Is there a step after alt F8?
I'm using Office Excel 2007, Windows 7 64 bit
Is there a better flight planner now?
Jon
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by Jon »

I know I open the file as an Microsoft excel97-2003 worksheet to get RPP to work.

You can use AIFP to create flightplans. Most of the official planners at AIG use the program.
http://stuff4fs.com/newpage.asp
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Excel 2007 should be able to run this no problem.

The spreadsheet is only used for data entry. The macro is what takes the data from the spreadsheet and creates the text files you compile. It is a series of commands that are run automatically.

The step after Alt F8 is to select the macro and run it.

What it sounds like to me is that you have got the ability to run macros disabled in excel. Try searching 'enable macros in excel 2007' for how to fix this.
Steve
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Dave Waffler »

The only problem I've had with it was with cargo flights. They seem to not like the Pacific side of things. But, when making fighter, attack and helo flightplans, it works very well. I still have to massage the flight plans a bit, but still, it works well in that aspect.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

OK, I got the Excel tool to generate the flightplans but the only way TTools will recognize them is if I manually cut and paste them to look like a normal flightplans file. Is there a quicker way to convert the spreadsheet info to something TTools will recognize? If not, I'm OK with this, just wondering. :)
And thanks for the help! :D
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

aerogator wrote:OK, I got the Excel tool to generate the flightplans but the only way TTools will recognize them is if I manually cut and paste them to look like a normal flightplans file. Is there a quicker way to convert the spreadsheet info to something TTools will recognize? If not, I'm OK with this, just wondering. :)
And thanks for the help! :D
If you look in the folder where you ran RPP_FPgen from there should be the usual 3 files as expected.

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Yeah, I read that in the manual but they are not there. I'm going to move the folder somewhere else like I had to do with MakeMdl in FSDS. I'll report.
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

It Works! I moved the Excel file to another part of the computer and it works as advertised!
Thanks!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ah the protected directory issue.
Steve