The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF Lakenheath for FSX/P3D

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
Christopher Barbas
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: RAF Lakenheath for FSX/P3D

Post by Christopher Barbas »

Invalid or Deleted File
Christopher Barbas
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

If Pete's okay with it, I'm going to make the seasonal background image available via our hangar later. As a temporary solution, here's the file on our Google Drive.

Link
Christopher Barbas
Captain
Captain

Post by Christopher Barbas »

Thank you Greg.
Christopher Barbas
CameronPerson
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by CameronPerson »

Amazing scenery as always thanks for releasing it :)
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

..... I am making available, for those who might require it, a Retro Concrete Texture for EGUL.

For those of you using F-111's rather than later generation F-15's, well this replacement Texture may just suit that era better LOL !!
The Texture is much more dirty and has a much more ' Worn ' appearance, than the original. Be sure to back-up the original Texture before trying it out though.

Here is the Download link -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rpq4v81ty ... 281%29.zip

For anyone interested in the EGUL Wet Surface effect, it is now ready for download.

Please make sure you READ all of the instruction guidelines before installing any of the files.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e7aq6gcez ... ackage.zip

Regards,

Pete.

PS. Please remember, it takes hour's to do thing's like this, It'll take you just minute's if you like what you see, to say thankyou !
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

...Just to let you know, I have decided to abandon any further development of the EGUL Additional Effects Packages. There has simply been not enough interest shown here, to warrant any continuation in the Project.

There was not one feedback comment, regarding the EGUL Wet Surface Effect that I recently made available.

Considering that the technique used is ground breaking and that as far as I am aware, Ian's RAF Lakenheath Scenery is the first Scenery in the world to use the 'Ground Polygon Shift' feature of SODE, you can see my disappointment.

This lack of support by the end user, was a considerable factor in the demise of ACG, its well worth remembering.

Pete Beeby
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

welcome to the real world, if we all worked on praise then nothing would ever get done :(
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Pete, I am sorry that you didn't receive the support that you hoped for from this forum.

The visual results do look very impressive but, as Rocket will testify, I decided to stick with FS9 when FSX got abandoned and so I am unable to check it out for myself. Maybe I will upgrade to P3D in time but I have a lack of confidence at the moment in their upgrading. Hopefully in time it will settle down.

I would like to ask one question, if I may, the effect that you show is it something that can be applied to all FSX scenery or does something have to be built for each scenery?
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That is a disappointment Pete, but not surprising. 1176 people have downloaded Lakenheath for FSX. We know from past experience that 99.7% of people who download, do so without ever saying a word. That would leave a potential of only 3.5 people who might be expected to comment on the wet surface effect. Sad, but we've lived with the reality for nearly 20 years.

It's possible that the dependency on SODE is probably an off- putting factor in those potential 3.5. I don't like it as a program, having found the early releases awkward and intrusive. It annoys me that I don't even know how to pronounce it- is it "SOWDEE", "SOWD" or "SOD E"?

You are quite right though, lack of support (interest) by the end user can be a major de-motivator if you let it be. Two year projects released into a black hole do nothing to incentivise another project of that nature. That's why I much prefer a variety of 6-8 week AI projects where it doesn't matter if a few flop. In the main though, I'm interested in modelling what interests me, particularly if I can do that as a thank you to other people who contribute here, or I know from Martin's "most wanted list", that there is a potential interest. The Painters here are a major driver to keep going. To see the talent applied to past models I've made, particularly the F-15 and Blackhawk family, give me a boost every time I see their work.

Right now, I'm working on a retro Macdill airfield to go with my AI B-47's. I'm not expecting a big take-up or a lot of feedback, because it's very niche, but I wanted to do them anyway as the penultimate addition to my line of "B-XX" American bombers. My reward for completing them will be to move on to the final addition which is the B-58. That probably has a bit more interest based on the comments so far.

Ray is right too. It's a hobby. You only do it because you want to do it and you find a way to motivate yourself to keep doing it. Feedback is great to have and a useful steer on what to do next, but it's not the only ingredient to keep going. You just have to find all the ingredients in the formula.

John
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by david.harwood »

I'm really surprised that the large majority of enthusiasts that download amazing and FREE software to enhance their hobby don't take the time to comment. I for one try to comment when I can as for someone who works running a Pub/Restaurant at the moment really appreciate a 'Thank you' from the customer and they have paid to be there.

I have said it before on this forum, and others, that I personally am in total awe at the skills shown in the development process to provide such amazing scenery and aircraft. If I had the time I'd learn but sadly I don't.

I run FSX only on a rather limited laptop. My skies are filled with all the MAIW aircraft and nearly all the MAIW scenery, once altered to work in FSX. My screen stutters in the UK and around larger AI filled airfields such as Nellis AFB but its all worth it to fly in formation with an F-15 or B-36 in a flyable model that looks just as good. Thus is why I haven't downloaded the rain effect as I feel my system might actually explode!!! I have a large number of Team SDB scenery files which are nice but for FREE you can get Lakenheath which is outstanding and I also love the Upper Heyford just released.

To everyone that uploads FREE software here I thank you and hope you carry on in what you all do so well. The majority of people take what is free as its free and therefore assume no effort has gone into it as its free! This is not the case here. You get everything you want and all for nothing. A very strange and usual situation in this day and age.

I look forward to each day I browse this site to see what's new and coming next. I get lost on the tech talk and will learn how to do all of this one day and will only ever be 1% as good as all of you here.

From one very thankful flight sim lover, a big THANK YOU!
david.harwood
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by david.harwood »

P.S.

If any of you ever want a pint on me, pop in to The Fox Inn, Fox Lane, Boars Hill, Oxford OX1 5DR, England and you can have one on me!
Chris W
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Chris W »

I totally agree with Dave Harwood 'To everyone that uploads FREE software here I thank you and hope you carry on in what you all do so well. The majority of people take what is free as its free and therefore assume no effort has gone into it as its free! This is not the case here. You get everything you want and all for nothing. A very strange and usual situation in this day and age.' I too have most of MAIW converted for FSX and also in FS 2004 (A Century of Flight Edition) I have yet to find any of your work that doesn't work on both platforms but occasionally with the odd tweek or two necessary.
Thank you for all the good work and please don't get disheartened by the lack of response from the silent 1172 and a half ??????(sorry should now read 1171.5)
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Pete I know how you feel I've had it in my life outside FlightSim but I've put it down to human nature. People only moan when they perceive that they haven't got what they wanted irrespective if it was better than what they had before. I apply the NMBP* rule.

*Not My Bloody Problem

Cheers
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Hi Pete,

I have downloaded the files above the moment I saw them but I have not yet installed anything. And this will surely take some more days before I find the time. But looking at your pictures I expect an extraordinary improvement. I will make sure to come back with a screen shot when I have seen it live.

Don' take no feedback personal. Like above was stated already - people are happy to download, use or watch things and only some few actually give you positive feedback.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Can I just say the scenery is amazing and I only wish it would work in FS9. I'm old skool ;)
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

VulcanDriver wrote: 15 Feb 2017, 17:53 Can I just say the scenery is amazing and I only wish it would work in FS9. I'm old skool ;)
Me too.
relfel66
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by relfel66 »

The download link is not working for me, I would like to try it. P3Dv3 on a 4670k @4.4GHz with a RX480.....it runs it quite well. I'd like to try the retro concrete and the wet textures. I'll try to give you some feedback.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think Pete has withdrawn the file.

John
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Sometimes developers have to be patient with users first/lack of thoughts of something, just like the users do with developers lead times. Its a shame if he has pulled the file based on the first 4 days of posting feedback. I have had packages released and have zero comments, but are still being downloaded 7 years later, I take that as the best review.
Mark
PB68
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by PB68 »

.....After reading all of your support ( Thanks BTW ), I am making available once again, for those who might require it, a Retro Concrete Texture for EGUL.

For those of you using F-111's rather than later generation F-15's, well this replacement Texture may just suit that era better LOL !!
The Texture is much more dirty and has a much more ' Worn ' appearance, than the original. Be sure to back-up the original Texture before trying it out though.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1unmc67bt ... 281%29.zip

.....For anyone interested in the EGUL Wet Surface effect, you can download it here -

Please make sure you READ all of the instruction guidelines before installing any of the files.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3zp44p1ux ... ackage.zip

Regards,

Pete.