The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Beale AFB package by MAIW

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Packages for FS9 in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Beale AFB package by MAIW

Post by reconmercs »

please use this thread to post questions and constructive feedback about this package here.

direct link:
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=105805
Seagull
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Seagull »

Many thanks to all for this one, have just got it. Good surprise for a monday morning!! :smt051 :lol:
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

I was waiting for this one because those U2's are just so cool!!!! :smt055

And the waiting was definetely rewarded!!!

You guys have raised the "bar" to the Black hole as far as I'm concerned because it just can't get any better can it?! :smt038

A big thank you to everybody at MAIW!!!! :smt023
Keith Jones
Captain
Captain

Post by Keith Jones »

Just found a possible bug in the Beale scenery. I had just landed and taken the taxiway C and turned onto F to the parking area when I got an unexpected building crash. As I'm sure I'm not the only one who flies with crash detection on, is there someway this can be avoided in the future?

On a second point, would it be possible for the runway markings to appear on screen a lot further out than at the moment I'm coming in 'over the fence'?

This is all I've managed to see so far, but if I find anything else I'll let you know - in the nicest way possible, of course!
Where ever you go, there you are.
Emile
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Emile »

Hello,
I have the same problem, did try to take off, taxi, several parking places and even when flying above at +- 4000 ft = building crash.
Emile EBBR Asus P7P67 Pro v3, Intel 1155 3.4 GH, Corsair DDR3 8Gb,PCX Nvidia 950 ti,PCX Nvidia 1050 ti,
SSD 120Gb, 2 x 1 Tera SATA6, Dual Boot . Win10 Pro X64,
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hmmm, it seems that all the beta testers fly with the crash detection off, otherwise I think we would have noticed this.
Steve
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

As did I, just turned crash detection on and have now had to recompile all trees, fencing and HAS to prevent this!!!
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote:Hmmm, it seems that all the beta testers fly with the crash detection off, otherwise I think we would have noticed this.
Steve,

Please be aware that Emile at least is using FSX, not FS9, so his problems are probably associated with that fact. I always have crash detection on in FS9 and in the many hours that I have spent at MAIW Beale AFB during both its development and testing I have never experienced a building crash of any kind.

Mike
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

rocket_26_ wrote:As did I, just turned crash detection on and have now had to recompile all trees, fencing and HAS to prevent this!!!
Ian,

Are you referring to Coningsby or Lakenheath? I always have crash detection on in FS9 and have never had a building crash at RAF Coningsby. :?:

Mike
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

Mike

Lakenheath, I think it was the fencing and trees that were causing it.

Cheers

Ian
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

So to recap are we saying that these Beale problems only occur with FSX, or does anybody have them on FS9 as well?
Steve
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Firebird wrote:So to recap are we saying that these Beale problems only occur with FSX, or does anybody have them on FS9 as well?
Steve,

I can't answer that, but I would also like to hear if any FS9 users are having these problems. I was only referring to Emile's problem with FSX as described in the following thread:

http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1536

Mike
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

As I pondered on this building crash issue it suddenly occurred to me that probably neither any of us who worked on this package nor any of the beta testers had ever flown or taxied an FS9 user flyable aircraft at Beale AFB since we were all concerned about how the Military AI aircraft performed there, not how user flyable aircraft performed there.

Consequently I decided to fly a user flyable aircraft at Beale AFB and see if I could reproduce this building crash problem. The bad news is that I was able to reproduce the building crashes while taxiing and the really bad news is that they appear to be caused by the use of the Beale AFB scenery created by DBWsim Design. The only way I could eliminate the problem other than by turning off crash detection was to remove the Beale AFB.bgl scenery file. :( :(

For some reason there appears to be at least a couple of invisible obstructions that cause either the building crashes that occur for no apparent reason or prevent the user flyable aircraft from taxiing past them. I actually got my F-16 stuck on one of them and even full afterburner would not budge it. :( :(

This all occurred with FS9, so the problem is definitely not just limited to FSX.

The only two immediate fixes that will allow the use of FS9 user flyable aircraft at Beale AFB appear to be to either turn off crash detection or remove the scenery file named Beale AFB.bgl. Unfortunately the latter creates a rather sparse looking Beale AFB. :( :(

Mike
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Live and learn.......live and learn. :wink:

Guess I'll have to check my Pope scenery with the crash detection on.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Heartbreaking, that's what it is!
:cry:

Barry
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

btaylo24 wrote:Heartbreaking, that's what it is!
:cry:

Barry
Discouraging too!!! :cry:

Who would have ever thought that the DBWSim Design Beale AFB scenery would have had an invisible building crash problem with user flyable FS9 aircraft? :cry:

I just noticed in the MAIW Whiteman AFB support thread that John Stinstrom's Whiteman AFB scenery apparently has a similar problem, so it appears that this type of scenery problem isn't just limited to the DBWSim Design Beale AFB scenery. :cry:

Mike
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Guys don't be too hard on yourselves, we are discovering a previously unknown issue with scenery. A learning experience for sure. Beale is still a great package, hands down.

Just when we think we've seen it all................

At least we now know about this issue so going forward we can always check for this problem ahead of time.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
StingingCanine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by StingingCanine »

My solution is to turn off crash detection and then......

don't crash into anything.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

This issue will need to be thoroughly understood before we can guard against when creating, or check for during beta. I can't see just cruising around every AFCAD/Scenery created for a MAIW package in a user a/c to turn up something that may as well be random, if you don't know what you are looking for in advance! Anybody equipped to discover the causes of this issue interested in digging it out? Hope so!

Ron
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

The easiest way to guarentee that it wont happen, is for the scenery modeller to make sure when they compile to MDL he makes it uncrashable.