The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 10

Post by Firebird »

OK you may well have more information than I do.
I am going by what was said online last week that support, not mainline support, had ended for 7 as well as the first release of 10. I can't recall which site is was now but it is not one that is known for duff gen. If your info is more accurate than mine fair enough.

Security patches have always been made available to out of support versions when it is deemed important enough

However, what is accurate is that the automatic/semi-automatic upgrade to 10 is no longer available.

I am not a great fan of MS but I think that everybody can agree that they changed their business model with 10. They have moved to a model where you get the latest version and that is it, similar to O365. I am not saying I like, nor am I saying that I support it. It just is, what it is.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I got big update only last week! I have 7 Pro so not sure if that makes a difference.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote: 17 May 2017, 21:21 OK you may well have more information than I do.
I am going by what was said online last week that support, not mainline support, had ended for 7 as well as the first release of 10. I can't recall which site is was now but it is not one that is known for duff gen. If your info is more accurate than mine fair enough.

Security patches have always been made available to out of support versions when it is deemed important enough

However, what is accurate is that the automatic/semi-automatic upgrade to 10 is no longer available.

I am not a great fan of MS but I think that everybody can agree that they changed their business model with 10. They have moved to a model where you get the latest version and that is it, similar to O365. I am not saying I like, nor am I saying that I support it. It just is, what it is.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... fact-sheet
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That I couldn't say for sure as what I have seen doesn't mention Pro specifically.

It depends on the update. If it was for a lot of security patches then that is still in play until 2020. The last pure update of 7 came in April '16. My guess would be to see what version number you are using.

Much like my old Samsung tablet it is still on Android 5 but I get security updates each month.

As I understand it end of mainstream support means no more updates. It also means no more fixes UNLESS it patches a security flaw.

Windows 8.1, I believe, is due out of mainstream support in January. 8.0 is already out of support.

Windows 10 initial release, again I believe, has stopped getting updates but will still get security patches. With Windows 10 MS has changed the support model, they are trying to move/force everybody to update to the latest version to make support easier/cheaper.

Pro versions I do not know about but it would seem strange to support one version of an OS and not the others.

Now I may have simplified things here but I hope this is accurate. If not I am sure somebody will say so.

*EDIT*
Sorry, John. I have just seen your post but can't access the link. Therefore my post may be irrelevant. :)
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Windows 7 is supported until early 2020.
They have changed the way they deliver Windows 7 updates.
Rather than lots of small patches/fixes they are rolling them into one big patch. The same way Windows 10 delivers its patches.
If I recall correctly each months download includes the previous as well as that months patches/fixes and therefore gets bigger every month.
I set up WSUS at work, each months the server downloads about 3-4Gb worth of Windows 10 fixes (you can't specify which version you want, it gets them all :( ). Plus around 300Mb of Windows 7 fixes. These are then made available to the workstations.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote: 22 May 2017, 10:04

Much like my old Samsung tablet it is still on Android 5 but I get security updates each month.
My Nexus 10 (Samsung made) will not be updated to the latest Android version according to Google. No explanation given.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Another big update today for W7 (232mb)
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Guys

Every time I get a windows update I keep getting a message saying Windows 10 failed to install. I know!! Been doing this since last year. How can I read of this nagging message. Is something in the registry causing it?

John

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

What you could try.....
Stop the Windows update service...
Find the softwaredistribution folder...
Rename it to softwaredistributionold...
Restart the Windows update service

There may be one more service you need to stop, but I can't remember it's name!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yep there is loads on this on the internet. The problem is that the W10 update has been downloaded and therefore is trying to install. As Kev says cleaning out the distribution folder and the W10 temp folder will cure this as the update is no longer available for 7.

Do a search and you will find the cleanup method(s).
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks guys will try this

EDIT: seems to have worked thanks guys
John

fltaccent
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by fltaccent »

Hello.

A few days ago, they were updated to RS2.

Running FS2004 does not respond even after the RS2 update of win10.

I can't test the models. I'm going crazy.

Those who know how to run are kindly requested to respond. ㅠ ㅠ
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Now firstly, I am assuming that you upgraded to FS9.1 via the MS patch and that you are using the NoCD patch FS9.exe.

IF you are not using the NoCD patch then that is the reason. MS have removed support for the security mechanism built into all of their games of that time. The games will now longer work UNLESS you use the technically illegal NoCD patch.

If you are using the patch then I have one of two options for you.
Firstly rollback the update in the Recovery section of Update and Security, but this is only a temporary respite as it will try to roll it forward again but it does give you time to investigate fixes. Remember you only have 10 days to roll back an build update.

The second is to take a backup of your FS9 system, including your C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9 folder with its fs9.cfg and your C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Flight Simulator Files for FLT and Wx configs.

Then uninstall FS9 and re-install again remembering not to let it install in the default protected location, C:\Program Files (x86).
Then install the FS9.1 update and copy across the FS9.1 NoCD patch that you must already be user.
If this works then you should be able to copy back over the top your backed FS9 installation and providing that you are still using the NoCD patch it should work.

Personally, I would recommend trying to fix in place as you can always rollback to give yourself more time.

---===*===---

I have my own Redstone 2 issue.

I am still waiting for my Redstone 2 update.

That being said I forced the update yesterday morning, as my other two PCs have the update, and everything went well, Except that it spent 5 minutes logging in and then the screen went black.

The weird thing is that the PC was up as my TV could still access my films partition and show them fine. That says it was a driver issue. I managed to get into recovery mode and then safe mode and update the nvidia drivers to the latest version. This again proved the update was successful.

After the driver update, I rebooted and the same thing occurred. It turns out that it doesn't like the Samsung monitor drivers, as they were only released for Win 8.

In the end I had to restore my C and D drives from my last back taken on Saturday, thanks to Acronis, so I had a very unproductive day as well.

So I now have to work out how to get around my driver issue before I try again or before it forces the update.

It seems that to cure problems they are tightening up on drivers not built for 10.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I noticed it wouldn't let me log in using a local password any longer so I've had get an online M$ login account. Also I have a 1mb hidden folder called videos marked as System Reserved partition and its marked as E: I cant delete it as W10 wont let me and neither can assign a new letter as I want to use E: for a new drive
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ah the problem there is that Windows 10 uses an un-named System Reserved partition for booting, part of UEFI, so it won't let you do anything to it. There will also be a small unnamed recovery partition as well.

As long as that is not the partition you are booting from download the latest free version of Partition Wizard, 10.2 I think, and install it.
When you run it you will see all your disks and partitions and you can manipulate it in any fashion you like including changing the drive letter, relabeling, unhiding and hiding partitions. That should solve your problem.

On the login issue, I tried to use the fallback option using the recovery system but now it wants your password and wouldn't accept mine which is why it took so long to fix the issue I had.

*** BE VERY CAREFUL THAT YOU ARE NOT STORING FILES IN THE UEFI PARTITION AND DELETE IT. ***

If you found the System Reserved device there and copied files to it then this is definitely the issue.
I would recommend temporarily copying your movies to another partition or USB device.
Then use Acronis or some other disk backup to backup the entire drive (in case you do wipe out the UEFI partition).
Ensure that you have bootable media to be able to use to restore your backups from.

Only then mince around with the System Reserved partition. If PW, or any other means, states that the System Reserved partition is marked as Active and Boot then UEFI IS employed, or it thinks it is.

*** NOTE ***
What I found yesterday that when I restored my C drive the PC booted fine. When I decided to play safe and restored the System Reserved partition and another unnamed NTFS recovery partition the PC said that there was no bootable media!

When I restored the disk as a whole it worked again.

Let me know if anything here doesn't make sense.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks Steve Partition Wizard worked a treat. Now all the discs are in a logical order.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gents, after nearly 3 weeks of faffing about trying to get Redstone 2/Creators Update installed I finally managed it. this may help others out there.

As I stated earlier I forced the update by using the MS tool and it went all the way through and then the screen went black but the PC was up and accessible for my video sharing util serviio, but I was unable to access the desktop. When I forced the PC into safe mode the desktop was fine.

Any way after several restores and several attempts by removing monitor drivers, video driver updates and various other drivers, utils and proggies being de-installed. I finally found the issue.

This week the Windows update version of the upgrade came through and the same thing happened again. Anyway after several more recoveries I decided to try the third method of updating which was by using the MediaCreationTool from MS that allows you to build an install disk or upgrade.
This util has a step that the other two do not. It checks for incompatible software and lo and behold it flagged up UxStyle as being incompatible. This is a proggy from XP days that allowed you to add non-MS signed styles to your desktop. I had not used it since 7 and didn't even realise it was still installed.

After de-installing the upgrade worked perfectly.

So two things. Firstly if you get problems keep going and secondly it might be worth getting the MediaCreationTool it could save you a lot of time/trouble. For instance, RevUninstaller on my system says that I have 168 installs and UxStyle was number 165. Would I ever have found it if I had not tried MCT?
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Steve, could you just clarify please. Is the Redstone 2/Creators update an optional update, ie for a casual Windows 10 user, is this by-passed in the routine Microsoft updates?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is the thing, John.
There is no such thing as an optional update any more after the first version of 10. You will be able to read that the original release of 10 is no longer supported for upgrades. Security fixes yes, but you won't get any upgrades unless you manually do it. I think, but not sure that that was release 1507. In either the November Update, 1511, or Redstone 1/Anniversary update, 1607, from then on you get the updates whether you like it or not.
That was the thing as they have now pushed the Redstone 2/Creators Update, 1703, update for everyone not on the original version you have no choice. What this meant was that everytime I restored back to my last backup within 15 mins it checked for updates and automatically started to download 1703.

I should point out that the updates automatically download but do not automatically update but you can only put off the update for a few days before it does it anyway.

This is why MS made the upgrade to 10 free to all other versions. To cut down on the support model and associated costs.

I had to sort it out and keep that last backup somewhere safe until I fixed the issue. Hence why I thought I would pen my experience and suggest to people that they use the MCT as at least that checks for incompatible proggies as the other two methods don't.

I have been looking forward to this release for a while for one specific feature. Ever since one of the early 10 updates if you had a custom icon for a folder and you copied it somewhere then it would lose the icon. Bloomin' annoying since I paid for a proggie called Folder Marker which applies custom icons (well when you have 1210 Aircraft folders you have to distinguish them somehow).

The way that the custom icon works is that an unseen .ico gets placed in the folder and the archive bit gets set on the folder. Until 1703 when you copied the folder the archive bit doesn't get copied across. The invisible .ico file is there but you have to set the archive bit to see it.
This has finally been fixed in 1703.

Redstone 3/Fall Creators Update is set to be released in Oct.

What version of 10 are you on, John?
Steve