The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prepar3d v4

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Prepar3d v4

Post by rocket_26_ »

As was mentioned above, all AI aircraft regardless of the developer have the afterburner/effect problem in P3D 2.5 onwards.

All FSX compiled models work as they would in FSX. For Lakenheath I didn't use the P3D compilers at all otherwise they may not have worked in FSX. I'm sure there will be some benefit to use them though.

On my system I currently have FSX, FSX Steam, P3DV3 and P3DV4 simply for testing purposes. I cannot achieve anywhere near the performance with FSX compared with either P3D and particularly V4 with like for like add ons installed.

Like most P3D V4 will be the sim for choice for me and I hope the conversion process of the FS9 models goes well.

Interestingly scasm coded (FS2002) ground polys still works fine.

Cheers

Ian
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I absolutely agree, Ian. P3Dv4 seems to be what we were waiting for. The conversion of the FS9 fleet is now key.
Cheers,
Martin
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Hear, hear.

Conversion is going at great rate, check AIG forums. Myself I am now desperate for F-16 conversion, to get RNoAF flying at ENBO and ENOL again :-)
Andrew
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Here's a screenshot from Missi (FSP) showing the new dynamic lighting on one of his AI models. The surroundings (including other AI aircraft) are now also lit dynamically by taxi and landing lights meaning no more ugly triangles on the ground.

Stingray15
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Stingray15 »

Greg wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 08:26 Here's a screenshot from Missi (FSP) showing the new dynamic lighting on one of his AI models. The surroundings (including other AI aircraft) are now also lit dynamically by taxi and landing lights meaning no more ugly triangles on the ground.
This however requires the modelers to update their models, so most likely we will not see this for all aircraft I'm afraid :(
FSP "X" AI - Product support page wrote:Need full update for existing models of mine to avail this feature.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Initially, that's how I also understood Missi's post but then I went in-sim and saw it working on other models without any tweaks. I just took the screenshot below in v4 showing a FAIB 737 dynamically lighting the apron and the GSE in front of it.

The nav lights are probably too small on these models to show any effect but other models, even Henry's FS9 Cessnas with missing landing gear, turned the apron green and red.

Perhaps what Missi meant was that he had to tweak his lights to show the large effect like in the screenshot?
DMdoc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DMdoc »

Missing undercarriage: I just purchased P3Dv4 after using FSX for years, and decided to try my AI aircraft (WOAI and MAIW). (Most WOAI aircraft look fine, although some seem to have changed to black fuselages.) I loaded the MAIW East Coast C-17s, as my home airport is Joint Base Charleston (KCHS), and they look fine EXCEPT they have no undercarriages. Is there any way to get the undercarriages back?
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

The C-17 is not compatible with P3Dv4 because it is a legacy FS9 format model. The only way to make it work is to convert the model to native FSX or P3D format.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

It is early days but it seems as though most FS9 models worked up to and including earlier versions of P3D, but v4 breaks them and you need FSX models at least.
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Okay, took the plunge and am now P3Dv4 enabled. I'm liking what I see so far, just going to be slow going learning the new processes. My first move was to install the MAIW KLRF scenery into an Addon Scenery file I created in the P3Dv4 Directory and add it to the sim. Worked fine. I then moved my C-130J's (FSX version) into the Aircraft file and they are parked as advertised at KLRF. Yet I have no callsigns available.

I have a couple of questions please:

In FSX, I kept my AI aircraft in a separate folder in the SimObjects file. I then added this line to the FSX config file:

SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\AI

It worked perfectly and kept my flyable aircraft separate. However, I think I found the P3D config file and no "SimobjectPath.XX"
exists for me to add my line to. Is there a separate P3Dv4 config file somewhere?

Second question:

I have Editvoicepack XL version 5.4.1 and it says it is P3Dv4 compatible, yet I can't seem to steer it towards P3Dv4 to install all of my callsigns.

Any help appreciated and thanks for all you do,

Reggie
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

You need to look for the file c:\programdata\lockheed martin\prepar3dv4\simobjects.cfg for the first part of your question. This is like this since P3Dv3 if I remember correctly.

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Reggie, wrt the voice file: I copied my FSX voicepack mod (EvpAccelerated2.gvp) from FSX to P3Dv4 and it works. Make sure you block out the stock P3Dv4 voice file, I renamed it to USEnglishBig.gvp.BAK.

Apparently LM did not change the voice file, the P3Dv4 stock voice file is exactly the same as the stock FSX Acceleration voice file (I did a byte-by-byte comparison with Easy Duplicate Finder).

cheers, Henk.
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Thank you Henk. Where do I find that specific file in FSX?

Reggie
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Reggie, the FSX voice file(s) are in the \Sound\ATC folder, in P3Dv4, this is the same.
The stock FSX voice file is named USEnglishBig.evp, my EditVoicePack modded file has a different name: EvpAccelerated2.gvp.

Henk.
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Okay, got those done and the AI file works. Of course the only aircraft that work are my FSX converted C-130's. But I'm working on it.

With regard to the Voicepack, I can hear some of my AI aircraft getting called by their call signs, so it is working to some degree, but I can't seem to change the call signs for the default aircraft, except for the default call signs in the default list.

Any ideas?

I'm willing to help convert some of these fs9 AI aircraft to FSX so we can use them in P3Dv4, but I need a simple tutorial if there is one. P3Dv4 is definitely the way to go.

If all it takes is converting the textures to DDS format with DXTBitmap, I'm good to go.

Reggie
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Reggie wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 01:57 With regard to the Voicepack, I can hear some of my AI aircraft getting called by their call signs, so it is working to some degree, but I can't seem to change the call signs for the default aircraft, except for the default call signs in the default list.

Any ideas?
Copy the airlines.cfg file from your FSX aircraft folder to "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4". That file populates the drop-down list on the aircraft selection screen.
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

All done. Thank you.
Reggie
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

The question for me is, what happens to the hundreds of FSDS source files I have made over the years for scenery and AI models? Will any of those source files be of any value going forward trying to convert them for use in P3Dv4??

IOW does anyone know what the third party compiler proggy is for creating models for P3Dv4??
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

It doesn't seem, to the uninitiated, that there is a simple cheap answer. I guess that I will find out soon and I will let you know.

What does seem to be a possible route is to use Blender to export the models as .x files and then compile then use the FS compiler from the SDK to create the mdl. Maybe this is possible using MCX as well. I will let you know once I get a handle on it and I know it works.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Have you received the manual and the access already, Steve?
Cheers,
Martin