The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JASDF Bases

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: JASDF Bases

Post by clickclickdoh »

The 2016 Tsuiki Airshow F-2s should be ready soon:

clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

This thread has been kind of quite for a while.... so, I'll give a peek at what is being worked on.

I saw a picture on twitter of US-2 9906 in the late stages of completion and I figured that we needed somewhere new to send US-2s... so I built Chichijima Island:

Note: Cruise ship in harbor provides scale.

Chichijima is an island roughly 150ish miles Northeast Iwo Jima. It is home to approximately 2,000 residents. The JMSDF provides emergency air services to the island, evacuating critically injured or ill residents in US-2s.

But, you know we can't stop there. Back when John and I made the Iwakuni update where he first introduced his US-2 model, we briefly discussed the idea of creating the Shinmaywa factory in Kobe. That idea did not survive a quick sanity check, mostly because Kobe looks like this in default FS9:

Unfortunately, in Google Earth, it looks more like this:

Well, now after a bit of tweaking and adjusting, it looks more like this:

As you can see, it is getting much closer to being acceptable now.

We have built in several AI locations to the new Kobe: Clockwise from the top Left:

The Shinmaywa factory and seaplane ramp
Kobe Heliport
Kobe Airport
JMSDF Hanshin

But wait, that's not all... And I really think I'm saving the best for last here:

-----> Clicky the Linky <------

Have you never seen an AI aircraft back under it's own power after landing? You never will. Not an AI model at least.

Project coming soon... in the sense that it's closer to completion than starting. "Coming Soon" may be construed on a geological timeline if Sbuilder doesn't start cooperating.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Wow you built an island.
I am sure that I can come up with all sorts of deity statements and headlines, but lets just assume that I have listed them rather than make people read through the pain.
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Firebird wrote: 07 Feb 2017, 06:01 Wow you built an island.
13 islands so far in this project. :smt010
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The project is headed to the Download Hangar. What you get:

Custom scenery for Chichijima Island and Kobe Japan
Repaint and flight plans for JYAI US-2 9906
Optional modified JYAI UH-60J flightplans that will activate several new AI heliports

A user flyable, fully amphibious US-2 with a modified model for user control, all new .air and .cfg files and paints to represent all five JMSDF US-2s.

In addition to making the modifications to his US-2 model to make it user flyable, John Young also made several scenery objects to go with this project.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Thanks John and Brent, there released and in the hangar now.
Mark
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Nice work gentlemen!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

click, Iwakuni is was built to receive the F-35 correct? I'm moving -121 over from Yuma to match real world.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Iwakuni has enough spaces to have the F-35. I don't remember if the parking spaces are coded right though.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

For anyone using the JGSDF CH-47 package in the Download Hangar, I've sent up a drop in replacement paint for 52913 which was given a winter camouflage scheme:

Rob1961
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rob1961 »

Hello Everyone,

I tried to install Brent Newman's scenery for JGSDF Kasuminome and was not able to get anything to activate. I tried the scenery library version first and then went to the forum to see about that one. It turns out to be the same. It just shows some ...bgl files but no scenery data files or any texture files.

I have NAF Atsugi, MCAS Beaufort, and the latest (that I know of) version of MAIW's scenery library objects. I was hoping that would be enough. These files have helped me to activate other bases. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Rob
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Hi Rob, hopefully we can work you through getting this working. Since there scenery pulls all of it's objects from other object libraries, you should only have .bgl files. In this case, four files:

RJSU_ADE9_BN_OBJ.BGL
RJSU_ADE9_BN.BGL
0_RJSU_VPTX.BGL
RJSU_VTPP.BGL

There are two ways to install this scenery. The first is to simply to copy the four files into <your fs9 install location>addon scenery\scenery

That works, but is terribly messy if you want to remove or modify the scenery in the future.

The better way is to create a folder for the scenery in <your fs9 install location>Addon Scenery. That folder needs to have a folder inside it called "Scenery" that has the four files inside it... so: <your fs9 install location>Addon Scenery\RJSU\Scenery Then load up FS9 and activate the scenery

At this point, even if you don't have the right files for the objects, you should at least see the modified AFCAD file with the base streets and the new background poly.

The full list of object libraries that are needed for this scenery are:

From the MAIW Scenery Library Objects:
MAIW ABO
Fence_JS
GGSE
Hummvee

Other:
Atsugi
ag tree lib

That should get things going for you.

** Edit ** I see from checking Google Earth that there has been significant construction at this base. Perhaps a quick update is in order.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Rob,
It occurs to me that there is a reason why the scenery does not show up. If you do what Brent says and it shows up then I think I may know the cause.
Did you put the 4 files that Brent mentions in the 'Addon Scenery\scenery' folder? If so that may be the problem.

You see for his scenery to be able to call the objects to be shown the objects have to be defined first. The way that any FS builds its scenery is layer by layer. If you look at your scenery.cfg file it will load the scenery from the lowest number first. So if your Addon Scenery folder is a lower number than the objects it needs then when it tries to load them it won't find them. The system doesn't keep track of the calls in case they turn up later.

There are various ways of making sure that all the objects show up for the scenery. But for now to prove that it works create that folder(s) that Brent says and ensure that it has the highest layer number. My guess it that it will work.

This is the reason that we created the Global MAIW Scenery Library Objects package so that they can installed in one folder and we state to place it as low as possible just above the default libs. By this we mean one layer below the 'Addon Scenery' entry in the scenery.cfg this will ensure that anything you put in the 'Addon Scenery\scenery' folder will be able to use those objects.

Now you will notice that this works for most objects but what about the other addons like the atsugi lib. Well, this is why we are trying to get together all of our regional libs into a package so that they can sit in another folder below the 'Addon Scenery' entry in the scenery.cfg but until then you have to do one of two things.
1. You have to create a separate scenery folder, like Brent say, and it must have a layer number higher than ALL MAIW scenery packages.
2. Create your own Regional MAIW Scenery Objects folder and add it to your scenery.cfg a layer above the Global libs and a layer below your Addon Scenery entry. Then inside that folder create a 'scenery' and a 'texture' folder. Inside the 'scenery' folder you need to copy any needed libs, e.g. the Atsugi lib, and inside the 'texture' folder copy all the textures that the atsugi lib needs.

The obvious problem with the second option is that it means you have duplicates but it does mean that if you put anything that you find produced by ourselves will work if you place files in the 'Addon Scenery\scenery' folder.

I this helps and makes sense.
Steve
Rob1961
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rob1961 »

Thanks guys,

I followed Clickclickdoh's advice and everything came right up. It appears to be a small base right in the middle of the city of Sendai, doesn't it? I checked it out on Google Earth myself and things really seem to be built up around it. Hopefully, some other aircraft will visit soon (I was the only one there at the time.) Steve, I will remember your advice too. Once again, thanks everyone.

Rob
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Glad it got working Rob. Kasuminome is indeed a tiny base that is being swallowed by a city. When the LR-1s were active, several used it's short ruway in what I can assume must have been very exciting landings. The base was instrumental in the efforts after the 2011 Tsunmai and was temporarily home to more than 50 helicopters from both Japan and the US. These days, it is home to a unit of UH-1s, which we don't currently have a model for, but I believe one is in progress. If you are using the UH-60J pack, there will be frequent visitors... BUT. (There's always a "but" isn't there) This is one of my earlier sceneries and was done before most of the JGSDF helo traffic was done. As a result, for some reason I chose to use 25ft parking spaces instead of the now standard 35ft spaces. There are two options to fix this: 1) open RJSU_ADE9_BN.BGL with any AFCAD editing program and change the spaces to 35ft -or- 2) In a couple of days I will be uploading a 2017 version of Kasuminome that includes the enlarged main parking ramp, corrected and revised parking assignments and various updates and corrections to the scenery.
Rob1961
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Rob1961 »

Great! I'll be looking forward to it.

Do you plan to develop any more Japanese bases in the future?

Also, I recently downloaded the MKAI EC225 Super Puma and JGSDF repaints for use at Kisarazu but nothing showed up. I know how to update the flightsim.x files now, but perhaps I'm putting the textures in the wrong place. Do they go in the folder "JDA" (as many versions' folders seem to be available within the file), because I'm going to try that option and see what I get. Until then, thanks for everything.

Rob
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

There are plenty more in the series of Japanese scenery to come. I have barely even scratched the JMSDF, several JGSDF locations remain and even a few JASDF ones. Right now I am focusing on supporting some Western Hemisphere projects, but I will be swinging back soon.

I have taken a screenshot of how my MKAI EC-225 folder is set up. Hopefully it helps:

Usually aircraft completely failing to show up is one of three things:

1) The dreaded AI slidder
2) Flight Plans in the wrong folder
3) The flightsim.[x] numbers not starting at 0 or skipping a number.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

What's the next scenery coming up I'm having the same problem too as Rob can you send me the picture above using PM
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Here's a brochure released by shinmaywa about the US-2 it features the operational areas look at it in case you make another package featuring the US-2
http://www.shinmaywa.co.jp/english/news ... -02-19.pdf
Here's a list of their operational areas which you haven't made

Hachinohe
Naha
Senkaku Islands
Yonakunijima
Okinotorishima
Iwo Jima
Minami Torishima
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Brent I'm having a problem with Kobe when I load it in the day it stops loading at 55% but at night it loads why does it do that and can you help me