The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

A-10 Thunderbolt II

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

A-10 Thunderbolt II

Post by John Young »

This is the new A-10 Thunderbolt II I'm currently working on in Gmax. Ignore the load-out, I just want to ensure I have one example of each weapon/device that I want to use for the intended A-10A and A-10C models:

The A-10As will be for Ian's work in progress retro RAF Alconbury and the A-10Cs for current deployment. The models are primarily for FSX/P3Dv4, but I will also spin off FS9 models on the way. Model variations for each of the A-10A and A-10C packs will feature, at the least - "clean", "training" and a "combat" load-out. Before people ask, I'm not intending to make the 2-seat variant.

Next job is the creation of the texture sheet and mapping to the model - a big job. I have the aircraft flying in FS9, but I still have more work to do on the FDE.

Notice that the engine fan textures are already applied. This was to test the xml code that Kevin kindly produced for me, that rotates a disk at a higher speed than is possible either with "tick18" or by using prop_0, slow and blurred animation. It's working well at the moment, but I haven't yet really experimented to see just how fast I can make the fans spin.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: A-10 Thunderbolt II

Post by clickclickdoh »

Well now... How you doing you pretty little lass?

I can't tell from the pictures, but I was wondering if you were planning on doing the AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING, which seems to be the standard on A-10Cs now. I haven't seen a Sniper pod since APKWS went active... which is also about the same time A-10C gained helmet targeting capability... so the switch might be related to either upgrade. Which leads to bouncing like a giddy school boy question number 2: APKWS?

Great looking work John.

Don't mind me, I just geek out when A-10s are involved.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No problem Brent, it's why I went public now. I'm no expert on A-10 weaponry and I need to know what space to include and what space to allocate for stores on the texture sheet. I have included a Sniper pod, but I can change that for an AAQ-28(V) if that's more appropriate. The A-10C pilot will have helmet targeting in any case. I will also make the APKWS.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by JohnTenn »

Looks great.

Looking forward to this one also.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

#1 rule of A-10 loadouts: The real deal is almost always lighter than what models and video games have in them.

Back in the A-10A days, I never saw three AGM-65s on a single launcher, only two. With the Cs, you almost never see the racks anymore, the AGM-65s are single mounted on the pylon now. You almost never saw an A-10A without an AN/ALQ-119 (later 131 & 184)... You almost never see an A-10C with one. But that's probably just because of the theater of operations. There's no reason to fly an AN/ALQ when against ISIS. A trio of MK-28s or CBUs on a TER was common on A-10As. I can't recall seeing a TER on an A-10C. Of course, the seemingly lighter load on the A-10C is because it's now carrying precision weapons instead of dumb bombs.

Here is way more than you ever wanted to know about the A-10.

https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.word ... t-warthog/
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by rocket_26_ »

WOW, that's come along quickly. Looks superb. Looking forward to seeing them painted up in Alconbury and the Twin Bases colours.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Glad you like it Ian. I hope it will do your Alconbury scenery justice. It's a very interesting and satisfying aircraft to model and I have been enjoying the quiet early mornings getting on with it.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Very nice, go ugly early! Hawg fan and if I could ever get the DCS "C" into FSX/P3D I'd be very happy.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

Dear John.

You're creating a wonderful piece of work again.

I would like to paint the Osan Air Base later.

Thank you always.^ ^b...
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

An excellent choice for your next aircraft and more so that its FSX/P3D specific
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

OK, I'm planning my texture sheet to accommodate suitable combinations of the following weapon/device choices (not necessarily on those pylons):

Left to right:

ALQ-119
Sniper pod
AGM-65
Mk84
JDAM
APKWS
AAQ-28(V)
ALQ-184
ACMI
AIM-9

If something else is wanted later that may still be fine, so long as I have space left on the sheet to do it. I've not included the small blue practice bombs because they need a lot of polygons for little visibility.

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Looking good John! I think that weapons loadout set should about cover it. You might consider adding the big external fuel tank for 'fuel' versions that you see crossing the oceans on deployment. That external tank is so big and over the top, only the A-10 could get away with hauling it.

Also something to consider to do for the repainters, make the inside of the boarding door ladder it's own mapped texture sheet. There were and still are some cool paint jobs on the inside of that door.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mike - all catered for. Brent has discovered a comprehensive source of door artwork and has obtained permission for us to use it with an acknowledgement to the author. I've split the texture sheet into two, because of the complexity of the A-10. The weapons are on the second sheet along with the wheels and engine fans and because it's common, it could be placed in FS9/FSX texture rather than duplicated in the local folders. That's created a nice sized area on the main sheet that will keep the ladder door textures at a good resolution.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Nice surprise JY :)
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
ukvoodoo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ukvoodoo »

Amazing bit of workmanship John, truly amazing

Thank you for once again taking the time to build these aircraft for us to enjoy in the FS world
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Nice one again John!

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

You spoil us John.

Thanks again for a great addition to the virtual skies.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. This one is really addictive, like being unable to put down a good book. I've finished mapping the textures for the aircraft itself and I'm now mapping the stores. Then it's the detailed paints, LODs and conversion to FSX/P3Dv4. The FDE is largely done but needs a little bit more work. I'll post some shots in FS9 after I have finished an example paint . My thanks to Steve for providing me with two invaluable reference books.

John
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

Dear Mr Young, I never cease to be mightily impressed, nay gobsmacked, at your seemingly infinite ability to produce these magnificent models - and in such prodigious numbers. I know that 'requests' are frowned upon, but could I ask that you consider (and I would think it a 'walk in the park' compared to your current project) putting the HS Nimrod into AI production; and if that is too much of a breeze, how about tackling the contra-rotating props of the Shackleton AEW3 afterwards. In any event, please keep up this outstanding work.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A3552A4

Nice new paint job John

A U.S. Air Force A-10C Thunderbolt II assigned to the 127th Wing, Michigan Air National Guard, outside the Air National Guard Paint Facility in Sioux City, Iowa on August 3, 2017. The Aircraft is painted with non-standard markings in order to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the Red Devils of the 107th Fighter Squadron. U.S. Air Force Photo by Master Sgt. Vincent De Groot 185th ARW PA/released

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -