The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI F-111's

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

JYAI F-111's

Post by Woogey »

Good Evening John, I am a big fan late Cold War 1980's aircraft. As such I have opted to populate Europe as it looked around 1985. With the recent release of P3d4, I purchased a new graphics card, a couple of new hard drives, and reinstalled Win 10. At this stage of the game, I opted to only install Prepared V4 and never look back at FSX. This morning, I decided to remove your Strike Eagles from Lakenheath, and back date to the F-111 era. Unfortunately, no aircraft appear. I tried a little experiment using the same flight plan.bgl but substituted in flyable Virtavia F-111 as Ai, and all 4 of those show up. Even though your F-111's are "FSX native" I think they may need an update to work in P3d4.

I hope this might be something as simple as a recompile. Not exactly sure why the F-15s work, but not the F-111s? Of note, the Phantom GR.1's for the Wattisham scenery, and also the Canberra and Victor Ai at RAF Marham also work flawlessly in V4.

Sincerely, -Woog
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: JYAI F-111's

Post by hschuit »

I don't think it is a model issue, I have no issues with John's F-111's in P3Dv4. I have them in a traffic file for RAF Upper Heyford. I would check the RAF Lakenheath AFCAD parking codes first: Do they match the F-111 aircraft.cfg - atc_parking_codes ?
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Why thank you for replying, this gives me a little bit more information to go on. I Have not checked the parking codes yet. I did find it strange that the Virtavia "Ai" show up with out any parking codes assigned at all though.........?

-Woog
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Don't ask me why my last post showed up twice that's super weird. And I can't figure out how to delete it!
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Also another thought that I had, I haven't changed anything from FSX-SE. The scenery is the same, the aircraft are the same, and the flight plans are the same. It all worked just fine before. In addition, All of John's other Ai aircraft seem to be working just fine.
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Solved. After Hschuit Confirmed that the F-111's do work in P3d4, I started comparing .cfg's from some of the Ai Repaints that I had installed. As it turns out the sim line was calling on a different name. After changing that line item to match, my F-111's are now present at Lakenheath.

I do have a secondary question: Are the wings folded back at a cold and dark state? I seem to remember that being the case. However, all the Aardvarks in sim have the wings out and flaps down. Just wondering if I caught them all while they were getting ready to roll?
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

When cold & dark the wings are forward, can't remember them being parked with wings swept back. The only ones which I have parked with wings swept back are static objects which came with the scenery (Team SDB RAF Upper Heyford iirc).
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Mr. John Young,

Would it be possible to configure the Aardvarks to park swept back some how?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Woogey, I had a lot of debate and video studies about the parked state when I made the models. Swept back didn't appear to be the standard practice and the consensus was I shouldn't do that. I'm deeply into the A-10 at the moment and I don't want to revert my file structures in order to modify the F-111. It would mean changing the configurations in each of 6 LODs x 2 for FS9 and FSX and testing each separately for all stages of flight. It's a complicated set of linkages to provide the correct sweep at different stages of flight. It's not a quick job and it's one I would rather not be diverted with. Sorry about that.

John
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

Woogey wrote: 18 Aug 2017, 05:17 Mr. John Young,

Would it be possible to configure the Aardvarks to park swept back some how?
Looking at my aerial images of Upper Heyford most are parked swept forward.
They did however taxi with wings swept back until hold short /last chance prior to takeoff.
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Yet another question about the F-111's, having more to do with P3d4 Lighting I guess. Is there a method to modify the canopy reflectivity so that the "Mirror" like finish is toned down a bit?
Attachments
2018-2-11_22-20-15-876.jpg
2018-2-11_22-14-13-365.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I would need to experiment with new specular values in the models Woog, find a better setting for P3Dv4 and re-compile them. I don't really want to break my concentration and divert from the F-35's at the moment to do that.

John
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Roger that John, I understand completely.
PlaneCpt
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by PlaneCpt »

Where can I find functioning traffic files for RAF Upper Heyford? I have installed all packages i could fing in the download hangar but can't get AI traffic to appear... same goes for the twin bases and RAF Alconbury... I am still operating P3D v3
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

PlaneCpt wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:19 Where can I find functioning traffic files for RAF Upper Heyford? I have installed all packages i could fing in the download hangar but can't get AI traffic to appear... same goes for the twin bases and RAF Alconbury... I am still operating P3D v3

If you haven't converted all the FS9 traffic files to the FSX/P3D format, none of the AI aircraft will appear in P3D. If this is the case you can use a program called AI Flight Planner v3.2.11 (AIFP3) to quickly perform this conversion. It's free and available at:

http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?Folder=AIFP&JS=TRUE
    Mike M.
    gsnde
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

It will also help you to identify any flight plan that you might have missed if you have done the conversion.
    Cheers,
    Martin