The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prepar3d v4

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Prepar3d v4

Post by Firebird »

I have got access to something but I have no idea what! :lol: As for a manual no I haven't seem that.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Be adventurous, Steve, click your way around... [emoji3]
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Does that mean going outside? :shock:
Doesn't that mean using energy and burning calories and other distasteful things? :lol:
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

There is a whole world behind you 78" monitor, Steve! Go and find it. All it takes is fire up your browser.... [emoji6]
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I tried it. It won't catch on.
Steve
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

MIKE JG wrote: 09 Jun 2017, 17:42 The question for me is, what happens to the hundreds of FSDS source files I have made over the years for scenery and AI models? Will any of those source files be of any value going forward trying to convert them for use in P3Dv4??

IOW does anyone know what the third party compiler proggy is for creating models for P3Dv4??
Mike,
If you can re-compile them for FSX then they should work in P3Dv4.

Animations need to be completely re-done unfortunately.

Gavin
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't know how the animation in FS9 models can be converted for use in P3Dv4. FSX can get around the problem because it can also run FS9 code, but I don't know if that backward compatibility has been removed in P3Dv4. FSX contains a file in the root called FS9.exe to enable that. It might be useful for a P3Dv4 user to check whether that file is there too.

FSX native code, and presumably P3Dv4, doesn't recognise stock part names for animation directly through the part name. You can call a flap, for example, anything you like. What you have to do is assign an animation tag in Gmax or FSDS with a name that corresponds to the name in to the modeldef.xml file (stock or custom). For parts like props and wheels, you need visibility tags applied to the part also." tick18" is not recognised in FSX, but is replaced with an "ambient" animation tag.

I'm not sure how that's all done in the conversion process, unless you are working with the Gmax or FSDS source files. Does MCX do all that for you and if it does how does it tie the key frames of the animation into the settings in the xml code? Sometimes FSX animations are the reverse of FS9 ones. FSX xml code is also different to FS9 xml. I don't know how it all knits together in the conversion.

John
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

John,

I recently resurrected 330 Sqdn with your Jayhawks for P3D4, which is my only sim now. I think backward compability is removed. I exported one of my airports with ADE using the P3D4 compiler and sent to my friend using FSX - bang he got CTD.

A little offtopic I now look for a updated Merlin helo. Have some RNoAF pics I can send you.

PS I know from the AIG forums it is not only to use McX. One needs to edit xml code as well. We have there now several TFS planes happily flying in P3D4.
Andrew
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

John,
I'm flying P3Dv4 now and have been slowly moving things over from FSX. Some things work, and some things don't. Unfortunately, none of the MAIW aircraft seem to work unless they have truly dedicated FSX or P3Dv4 model files. Changing the textures is easy with DTXBitmap. For instance, the CV-22 packages are for FSX, but do not show up in P3Dv4. I am just being patient until someone converts some of the MAIW aircraft, or at least the model file. The C-130's, Jayhawks, Blackhawks, and Seahawks are the only MAIW aircraft I have now in the sim, but they are beautiful. I can't wait for someone to develop the P3Dv4 F-16 do I can fill the sim back up. I truly believe that P3Dv4 is the new flight sim and I'm glad I waited. This is a fantastic group of people here at MAIW and I encourage all to take a hard look at P3Dv4 and start moving in that direction.
My two cents and thanks to everyone here at MAIW for all you do for our hobby.
Reggie
FAA Commercial ASEL, AMEL, IA
Fs98, Fs2002, Fs2004, FSX, P3Dv4
Severin

Post by Severin »

hschuit wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 19:42 I converted all my favorite FS9 AI military aircraft to native FSX format, e.g. FMAI Mirage 2K's, Transall and Tornados, NBAI F-4's and Mirage F1, RWAI A-10, MGAI KC-135, JMAI B-52, JBAI A-7.
I never published them so I did not ask the original authors for permission. I also did not convert every FS9 LOD, usually my converts have max 3 LOD's (e.g. 100 - 25 - 5) which imho is enough because the highest LOD performs so much better in FSX/P3D. I use MCX and Blender. If I can help just let me know.
Please help me, to do the same. Can you send me some files I should change to convert it too? Would be very very apreciated. Thank you in advance
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

To be honest that is not likely.
The reason is that it is not simple to do this and it takes experience of doing them to complete the task, especially if you have no modelling experience.

Your best bet is to wait for others to slowly convert models or for others to replace the earlier models.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I finally bought a copy of P3Dv4 this afternoon. It has installed fine and I've tested one piece of custom scenery, one of my AI aircraft and a corresponding flightplan. All OK with that so far. However, I have one very annoying problem. I can't get my Saitek X-52 controller to work in slew mode. The controller is recognised, I can calibrate it and it works fine in flight mode. I've been right through the control settings, tried some re-assignments, read through the controls section of the manual and tried some internet searches for the problem, but still slew won't work.

Can anyone with P3Dv4 tell me if I am missing a crucial step somewhere in getting the controller to work in slew mode please? As far as I can remember I didn't have to do anything with FSX to get it to work in that mode. it just did it.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Really?
That is surprising as you have to program your slew assignments in FS9. So you are saying that P3D has returned to the FS9 setup for that purpose?
In FS9 on the assignments main page there is a radio button to select either normal flight or slew mode.
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Hi John,

I have the same problem. When I try to slew with the controller, the aircraft takes off across the ground at a high rate of speed as soon as I touch the controller. It did it with my X-52 and does the same with my new X-56 RHINO. I thought it was just an anomaly with my computer.

I am still able to slew with the arrow keys as long as I don't touch the stick.

Reggie
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I was not able to get my Warthog controller to work as supposed to without the licensed version of FSUIPC. But that already with the latest V3 version.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think this is the set up screen to assign functions, highlighted for slew rotation. However, when I rotate the joystick left nothing gets transferred to the change assignment window:

Yet P3D detects all the controller functions in the calibration window.

John
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

John you're looking at the key assignments. Under "Controls" in the left sidebar, click on "Axis Assignments". :wink:
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I did try that too Greg, but I'll try again in the morning. I've just plugged a more basic Speedlink controller in and let Windows find the driver. That was immediately recognised by P3Dv4 in both flight and slew mode without the need to assign anything. Maybe the thing I need to do tomorrow is to delete the X-52 drivers that came with the stick and let Windows find some generic ones.

I don't know what's happened to Saitek, but their driver page is blank, so I can't get the latest version anyway. I don't work with the stick programmed. Fast and easy slew movement is the key factor for me when testing AI aircraft I'm working on.

John
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

That's strange. It works for my X52 Pro so it should work for yours.

Under Axis Assignments change the Flight Mode to "Slew" and then assign the axis you want for forward/backward (Y), rotate (Rz) and sideways (X). As a test I just cleared all my axis, tried again and it still works.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Greg. I don't know what I did wrong with the Axis assignments yesterday, but having set them again as you suggested, I now have slew mode working. Perhaps spraying the joystick spring with furniture polish to stop the squeaking helped LOL.

John