The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Windows 10

Post by John Young »

I'm not using Windows 10 Steve. My grandson is and I was concerned that when he returns from holiday today he's in for a heap of trouble. Can Microsoft really make Windows 10 this unfriendly for the everyday user?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

They are putting the onus on the user having a machine and software that is compatible with Windows rather than spend time, money and resources on making Windows compatible with everyones setup.

I understand the approach but it does make it frustrating.

It may be that he will have no issues. My laptop had none. The PC that my Missus has had none. I posted in case it helps anybody out.

The key thing here is that if I had not been able to sort the issue out before I lost my backup I would have had no option but to do a clean install and we all know what an absolute pain that can be when you have over 100 installs and have no idea where most of the original software is or what the serial number was.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Understood Steve, thanks. I think I will steer clear of Windows 10 for as long as I can unless it comes with a brand new PC.

John
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Good news is that Windows 7 will be supported by MS right up until....

14/01/2020

So still over 2 years left in the old dog yet.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is not actually strictly accurate.
If you look at this official MS page https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... fact-sheet you will see that mainstream support for 7 actually ending 2.5 years ago, extended support runs until 2020.

What this means is that if you were to ring MS with a 7 problem they will not help you except to suggest to upgrade. Extended support means that you have to pay per year to solve issues. Until I left BA it was paying MS for extended support for over 20K sets for 7. In fact BA only upgraded to 7 because the extended window ran out on XP and they were in a panic to upgrade every set in 6 months.

What this does not mean is that there will be no 7 upgrades. What it means that you will only get what they term security patches.

Another interesting thing is down the bottom under the ** note about 10 support. If you read quite carefully you will see that it implies that if upgrades can't installed because of hardware or driver problems, tough. Buy new hardware which can be anything from a new Blu-Ray burner or a whole new computer.

If any doubts this then I can say that when I bought my brand new puter over a year ago my DVD writer wouldn't work and I had to replace it as LG wouldn't make that model 10 compatible. I spent a lot of time on the net searching for solutions and wasted quite a few discs. MS advice was, yes I did ring them, and I quote 'if there is no 10 compatible driver and it doesn't work then you will have to replace it.'

Whether we like it or not, and we know the answer is not, things have changed. It is your responsibility for the hardware to meet the requirements of the software.
It reminds me of a time back where the 386 chip was prevalent and a company released a game that meant that you could only play if you had a 486. Indeed, remember when FSX was released and most peoples hardware wouldn't run it properly. The answer was improve your hardware.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Just to let you guys know that the next Windows 10 update (Creators Fall Update/Redstone 3) will be rolling out on Oct 17.
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

I wonder what Microfail are going to mess up this time !
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Apparently in a couple of late beta versions they installed a non-released Nvidia driver which screwed up a couple of progs and there is an update to Acronis True Image to take into account the new release.

Whether the video problem is fixed I don't know.

The main updates now seem to be about tightening up the rules for progs and apps.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

From a sys Admin view....
1703 fixed problems with Windows 10 not getting updates from a local WSUS server. (Always went to Microsoft)

The next one this month is supposed to fix a new version re-installing all the default crap that was removed in the current install.

I have a virtual 10 machine I will be using as a guinea pig. It has all the crap removed from the default install. Will see if the Fall update puts it all back again.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK Redstone 3/Fall Creators update is being rolled out from today.

A couple of notes. Firstly the graphics problem that I mentioned was found in testing has been fixed and there is a an official nvidia release since the beta release included by MS for testers.

Secondly, there is a fix that may or may not help people who got out of memory problems with FS9. It was a DirectX 9 problem.
For a full explanation of the probs under Win 7, and the different limitations under Win 8 and Win 10 see here https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10- ... cation-bug

So it seems that your graphics performance may increase for DirectX 9 games after the upgrade.

For those staying on 7 or 8 it should be noted that at the bottom of that article that they are unlikely to roll the fix out to Win 8.1 as they want people to upgrade. Win 7 isn't mentioned so it is safe to assume that as it is not a security issue and Win 7 support has ended that it will not be fixed.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Well I tried on the VM I created at work, was running v1703.
a) 1709 Still reports and downloads updates from WSUS.
b) 1709 Didn't re-install all the stuff I had removed (Candy Crush, Minecraft etc)

So, so far so good.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Guys,
Just to let you know that Redstone 5 has been released, also known by the catchy yet uninspiring 1809.

At the moment it does not forcibly update you but if you search for updates it will assume that you want it and will download it.
There doesn't seem to be a great deal in it to interest me but the explorer window now has a dark mode so if you have that selected in your settings then you get that.
For those of you that use Clover as a File Manager to get an explorer with tabs the dark mode works with that as well.

Did it fix my search not working? Did it hell!
However after searching for months I did find one post that mentions a registry setting in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search called CortanaEnabled and should be set to 1.
I did not have that registry entry so it must have come in use with 1803. I created the entry and the blooming thing works now.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Pulled from release!

It deleted peoples files from Documents.

Apparently the bug was known about 3 months ago.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The release hasn't exactly been pulled just the download from Windows Update. You can still download the latest MediaCreationTool for it.

For anybody that is interested it seems that in a small percentage of cases everything in your 'My Documents' , 'My Music' and 'My Pictures' folders gets deleted. A simple backup of those would take care of that. I think that most backup their systems these days.

There is another bug that affects a few which involves modern apps not being able to connect to the internet, which can be fixed in most cases by enabling IPv6.
A further bug has Task Manager showing the wrong cpu usage, in itself an irritant rather than a issue.

How did all this happen? Well it seems that somebody at MS released the version rather than release it to the Release Preview ring (voluntary beta testers) first. Doh!

From my point of view all my machines were upgraded using the MCT and not one had an issue or anything disappear.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gents,
Something else that has just come to light, for me, for W10.

Up until I went to the US everything was working fine on my PC and my laptop. When on hols I was having trouble with the mouse on the laptop. It would intermittently not select windows clicked on on respond to selections or double-clicking. I tried disabling the touchpad when another pointing device was discovered which improved it slightly but it was still annoying as a problem.

When at home I discovered I had the same problem on my PC. Now the PC is running 1809 and the laptop is still on 1803 so it is not a bug with 1809. What I did then discover was that the Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Centre app was not finding the mice.
Yes, I did try de-installing and re-installing the driver.

To prove that it wasn't a mouse problem I bought a cheap new one and this worked perfectly in both and was seen in the Centre app. It seems that something in a recent patch has made older mice incompatible. What is annoying is that both still work fine and they are both MS mice, my main one being an optical intellimouse.

It seems that they have made there own older hardware incompatible. Whether this will happen with other versions of the OS I don't know but I thought I would mention it.
Steve
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

I updated to 1809 with no issues the day it was released on 3 different computers. I am waiting for them to release it again to install it on a touchscreen computer. I have not noticed any problems with Windows 10 except I could never get FSX (Microsoft DVD version) to install. I keep my computers patched and updated with all patch releases and so far so good. I run maintenance on my computers several times a week (defrag, scan etc.).

I will be getting P3D4 for Christmas and I have not heard any issues with Windows 10. If anyone knows of any please let me know.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For people with 1809 an update patch was released on the 13th to patch the original 1809 release. There is shortly to be a re-released 1809 update for those that did not upgrade before it was removed.

On the FSX install, it is the same as for FS9 (I suspect). The problem is that the product security included as part of MS games was deemed to be a security risk by MS, years later, and was switched off in 7/Vista and removed altogether in 10.

I am guessing that there might be a way of getting around the install but I do not know it for 10. For 7/Vista you simply switch the security mechanism on first and switch it of again later.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Just some Windows 10 upgrade info for people that are unaware.

The current version is 1809 and had a few major teething troubles but these have now been fixed.

The next version is currently known as 19H1, as it will be released in the first half of this year.
One of the big new features will be reserved space on the C: drive.

Now this is different to hidden System Reserved partition that may or may not have seen on your boot drive, as this is only around 250mb in size.
The new reserved space will be blocked off (it is currently believed inside your C: drive) and be saved for use in upgrades and will be some GB in size.

This may be a big factor for people that boot from small 120GB or 160GB SSDs. If you have this sized boot SSD It may be worth your while looking to upgrade to a 240GB SSD now to save yourself some time and trouble in the future.
If you see a good deal think about taking it in advance to avoid complications in the future.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the heads-up, Steve. Only 10GB left on my C: which is barely workable, but I've managed to hold off moving to a larger drive for a while now with clever tricks. I'm dreading the move but I've got nothing left up my sleeve...
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Moving it is easy.
Grab yourself a Samsung SSD and use their 'data migration' software.
Works a treat!

No mechanical drives in my system now -
1 x NVME M2 for the OS - 500Gb
2 x 500Gb (RAID 1) SSD for data
1 x 500Gb SSD for miscellaneous stuff